Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A barlow knife has one or two blade, a huge metal bolster, and a comfortable tear-drop shaped handle. the blade or blades are attached at the small end of the handle. The first barlow being made in Sheffield England in the 1600's. It was made by several American shops soon after, and has become as American  as "apple pie". George Washington was known to have a barlow knife, Mark twain referred to a "real barlow" in his tom sawyer and huckleberry finn in 1876. Barlow's have long been gifts treasured by young American boys through the ages. at least on song was written about a barlow knife.

"I been livin' here all my life, All I got is a Barlow Knife; Buck horn handle and a barlow blade, Best dang knife that ever was made."

Tags: Barlow, Pattern, barlow-knives

Views: 3593

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Andy. All the Buck Barlows were SFO's, (Special Factory Orders), and none of those had model numbers or date codes stamped on them, but the various versions were made in 1999 by Camillus for exclusive sale in the Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog, they were never cataloged or sold by Buck themselves. The knives were bulk shipped unboxed to the Buck offices, were boxed then sent off to SMKW in TN.

Here are the smaller Buck Barlows, (two blade variety, sometimes called "swell end jacks"), model #332, came in both Black & Yellow Sawcut Delrin. Also made/sold in 1999.

Cool stuff Syd, thanks for the info!

Syd Carr said:

Thanks Andy. All the Buck Barlows were SFO's, (Special Factory Orders), and none of those had model numbers or date codes stamped on them, but the various versions were made in 1999 by Camillus for exclusive sale in the Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog, they were never cataloged or sold by Buck themselves. The knives were bulk shipped unboxed to the Buck offices, were boxed then sent off to SMKW in TN.

Here are the smaller Buck Barlows, (two blade variety, sometimes called "swell end jacks"), model #332, came in both Black & Yellow Sawcut Delrin. Also made/sold in 1999.

I just got two new Barlows.
A Sarge 426BS Boy Scouts of America (with 440C blades)
and a Rite Edge with wood covers.
a 210601? That is the number above the UPC code. No number on the knife.

Both are much nicer and more solid than the old Imperial (Prov. R.I.) and (Ireland) clamshell Barlows I have. I think I prefer these two new ones even over the Rough Rider Barlow I have.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service