Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

In this discussion forum, we'll be reviewing a variety of popular Benchmade knives. These reviews will cover not only statistical data, but actual life use as well. Though I'm a big Benchmade fan, I'll be very direct and candid about each of the knives that I review. Benchmade, as a GREAT company as it is, isn't perfect...and while I'm sure to point out many positive aspects of the knives, you can also count on me to point out any deficiencies that I see and experience. Additional feedback by the members of this group will also provide a valuable broad-base for those interested in Benchmade's product. So join us as we take a hard look at products produced by one of the world's premier knife manufacturers!

Views: 17394

Replies to This Discussion

BENCHMADE INFIDEL OTF KNIFE: Affordable Coolness!!!

I really like these Infidel OTFs...the price was a steal!
Good review JT! Originally, the Infidel didn't appeal to me...and some that was certainly due to the price tag. After watching your review, I'm finding myself more drawn to this knife.
1of these days JT Im guna just dedicate it2 watching all yur vids on you tube!Thats a day project I will look 4ward to tho.Great revew as always

14205 HK Axis

* Blade Length: 3.40"
* Blade Thickness: 0.15"
* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 58-61HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Clip Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 4.96 oz.
* Clip: Tip-up, Reversible, Black
* Lock Mechanism: AXIS-Lock
* Overall Length: 8.19"
* Closed Length: 4.50"
* Sheath Material: Sold Separately
* Class: Strategic Partnership with H&K

Today we'll be taking a look at a new Benchmade-Snody collaboration, the model 14205. This Snody-design was produced for Benchmade's strategic partnership with firearms company Heckler & Koch. This long-standing alliance has created a variety of tactically-oriented designs...with many of them being built overseas. The 14205 is built at Benchmade's Oregon facility and, as a result, the quality of the knife is readily apparent. Lets see what we have...

BLADE: The 14205 features a modified clip-point shape (Snody's blade shapes are rather unique and this model is no exception). While the shape is defined as being a clip-point, the "modification" imbues the blade with some serious spear point attributes, making the knife almost ideally-suited for tactical purposes. I say "almost" because the blade's 3.40" length is a little shorter than "ideal". The upper portion of the blade features a perfectly ground swedge and a slightly up-swept thumb ramp (excellently-machined jimping rides the spine of the thumb ramp). The steel used for this knife is 154cm...a Benchmade favorite. The finish on the steel is "satin", though it is polished finely enough to make the machining marks nearly unnoticeable. Good job, Benchmade! Simple-yet-effective thumb studs are located on both side of the blade and work well. That said, I would have liked to see some knurling done on them to increase traction. Not that the existing thumb studs are slippery because they aren't; it would just make for a little more gription and deployment. Overall, the blade design on the 14205 is exceptionally "excellent"!

HANDLE: The handle for this knife is well-sized. It actually fits my hand without leaving the pinky and heel of my palm "floating" in the wind. Bravo, Benchmade! In terms of ergonomics, the handle is ideally shaped with a slightly concave curve to it and a perfectly located finger choil located near the blades ricasso. The handle features somewhat checkered G10 scales. The texturing on these scales is a little more aggressive than what we usually see from Benchmade; as a result, the grip is more certain. Still, the checking is smoother than it needs to be...ideally. So..."good, but not quite there" in that department. All the areas where your hand comes into contact with the knife's handle are rounded. Nicely done! The handle ends up being VERY comfortable. The steel liners in the knife are nicely worked add a great deal of lateral strength. The 14205 features Benchmade's incredible Axis-lock. As expected, this system works flawlessly and is a major attribute for the knife. The pocket clip is located high on the handle and it's black color hides well. The tip-up orientation makes for quick, sure deployment from the pocket. Interestingly, for a knife of this size...Benchmade didn't include a lanyard hole. Not a big deal for me, but some will see that as a detraction. That small oversight aside, the handle portion of the knife is executed extremely well.

PRIMARY USE: The 14205's primary orientation is "tactical". Certainly, this knife would perform well in a defensive encounter. It's OVERALL size, ergonomics and locking mechanism are geared for such a task (though, as previously mentioned, the blade needs to be a little longer). Interestingly, those same features make it a superb EDC choice for those who can carry a large-medium sized folding knife. The modified clip-point shape has just enough belly to it to make the knife quite a workhorse for a variety of tasks. The knife, as we would expect of any Benchmade, features top-notch build quality. Of the dozens of Benchmade's that I've owned over the years, the 14205 is one of the few that I would readily consider for "hard use". It slices well. It pierces very well. I'm certain that it would slash and stab wonderfully (fortunately, I haven't had to test that theory). In all reality, this knife does most things VERY WELL.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Well, a quick glance at the photo will tell you that the 14205's appearance is subdued. It isn't "pretty" or "flashy". Still, the clean, flowing lines are magnificent to behold and even better when put to use. As a Snody design, the HK Axis knife has an automatic kind of "coolness". Snody's designs are highly sought after and he is regarded as one of the elite designers in the knife community. Personally, I consider the knife's blade shape to be "super cool"...and the finish that Benchmade put on it enhances that aspect. The handle...and the overall balance of the knife ROCK. The Axis-lock is a joy to use and very few mechanisms are as much fun to use. So, if you will, that part of the knife is "uber cool". So...relative to the Second Kind of Cool...on a scale of 1 to10 (with the latter being the highest possible score), I'd rate the 14205 as a 7.75. Pretty darn cool.

OVERALL TAKE: This knife is one of Benchmade's best designs...ever. It does just about everything "well". The ergonomics are extremely well thought out. It is the "right size" for most applications (being neither too large nor too small). It is perfectly balanced, extremely well made and should last indefinitely. Without a doubt, this is one of my Top 5 favorite Benchmade knives. It is, truly, that good of a knife. In terms of expense, this 14205 is very affordable and, as far as I'm concerned, represents one of the best values EVER. If you want one of the best knives ever made...get yourself a 14205.

Today, we'll be taking a look at one of the most important knives in the history of bladecraft; the Benchmade 710 McHenry Williams.

710 McHenry Williams

* Blade Length: 3.90"
* Blade Thickness: 0.115"
* Blade Material: D2 Tool Steel
* Blade Hardness: 60-62 HRC
* Weight: 4.5oz.
* Clip: Reversible, Black, Tip-up
* Lock Mechanism: AXIS-ASSIST Lock
* Overall Length: 8.8"
* Closed Length: 4.9"
* Class: Blue

BLADE:
Made from a high-quality D2 Tool Steel, the 710 sports a modified clip-point design. The "modification" brings in influences from both drop-point and spear-point concepts, making the 710 an extremely versatile tool. A close examination of the blade yields an ever-so-subtle recurve running from it's belly to the ricasso. A moderate swedge runs from the spine's halfway mark to the tip of the knife. The grind lines and overall shape of this blade present a sleekly elegant appearance. The 710's "larger" 3.90" length gives the user considerable flexibility when it comes to application. The finish on the steel blade is a perfectly-worked satin. Running your finger along it's surface shows no sign of blemish or variation in the grinding of the steel. There is no jimping on the spine of the blade...but the 710's handle design makes jimping unnecessary. Dual ambidextrous thumb-studs make deploying this knife easy. Though the thumb-studs lack gnurling, the terracing at their top provides reasonable traction.

HANDLE: The handle shape of the 710 is remarkably ergonomic, in spite of it's lacking a defined index finger choil. The design is "open", allowing users with different sized hands a variety of grip options. The handle is surfaced with G10 scales. The texturing on the G10 is somewhat "smooth" and while it feels very comfortable in hand, the knife lacks the serious gription that could be easily achieved with the kind of checkering found on several competitors' knives. Steel liners under the G10 scales provide additional strength. The shape of the handle provides a type of thumb-ramp and slight front choil; a decent grip on the knife pretty much ensures no slippage. The 710 features a backspacer concept...so cleaning of the knife (short of disassembling it; which I don't recommend) is best achieved via compressed air. The knife features a simple black pocket clip located in the tip-up position, though it can be switched for left-hand carry (comes out-of-the-box as a right-hander). The clip's design works nicely, riding relatively low in the pocket while providing a good sense of security (the knife is very unlikely to come out of the pocket unintentionally). And now we get to a point of historic importance. The 710 McHenry Williams folding knife was the very first Benchmade to feature the infamous Axis-Lock!!! For any Benchmade Addict, this is a knife to celebrate! Indeed, it is a knife that the industry should celebrate; it is that REVOLUTIONARY!!! For those new to the Axis-Lock, simply put, this system is one of the very best locking mechanisms ever designed. It is simple to use, extremely effective and extraordinarily durable. If you want to find out more about the system, visit the Benchmade web site...as a full write-up would be too divergent for this knife review.

PRIMARY USE:
As indicated above, the design of the 710 makes it an unusually flexible tool. Though perhaps too large for an office environment, it is ideal for people whose tasks require a larger folding knife. From construction and warehouse work to tactical, the 710 is totally capable, easy to use and tougher than 16-penny nails. It slices wonderfully via the clip-point shape (the tiny recurve aids in this application). It pierces surprisingly well. In a defensive encounter, the blade's size and shape make it an ideal companion. Unfortunately, Benchmade chooses not to provide the right kind of texturing on it's G10...so if your hand is wet, things could get a little "iffy". If everything is dry and you have a good grip on your knife...things should work just fine. The knife deploys quickly and the Axis-Lock system makes it very safe to use...even in a hard-use scenario. In a construction environment, the D2 steel helps the knife keep it's edge in spite of the materials that it will be forced to cut through. You want to know just how versatile the 710 is? It also makes for a heck of chef's knife...in a pinch! Vegetable, fruits, meat, even bread...the 710 is big enough to take care of kitchen chores in no time at all. That said, all the acid in that foodstuff isn't a happy thing...so remember to clean the blade vigorously after use (and dry thoroughly).

SECOND KIND OF COOL: When it comes to the 710, this is an interesting topic. As the very first Axis-Lock knife, this blade scores at the very top of the charts in "coolness"!!! It's shape...it's sleek profile...is a great study in "simple beauty". The flexible nature of the 710 makes it unusually effective...and that is just plain old "cool"! The materials used aren't exotic, but they are "cool". That said, Benchmade offers many knives whose aesthetics are much more pronounced than those of the 710 McHenry Williams. So...on a 1-to-10 scale (with 10 being the highest possible score), the 710 registers as an 8. It's historic value is undeniably high!

OVERALL TAKE: The 710 McHenry Williams is, simply stated, one of Benchmade's very best designs. As a "user", this knife is just plain hard-to-beat! As a self-defense tool, it's very effective. And you get all this at a nicely affordable price. What a great knife! If you don't own one, you are most certainly "missing out". Big time!

I've long avoided doing a review of Benchmade's Griptilian knives. Predominantly, I've felt that the Griptilians are so well known that a review of them would not be needed. Since then, I've come to realize that there are people visiting iKC who have not owned or used a Griptilian. So...this review is mostly for those people; I say "mostly" because there are some long-standing iKC members who really enjoy the Griptilian platform...and those folks may also enjoy the review. Without futher adieu....

551 Full-size Griptilian

* Blade Length: 3.45"
* Blade Hardness: 58-60 HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Drop-Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 3.25 oz.
* Clip: Black Reversible Tip-up
* Overall Length: 8.07"
* Closed Length: 4.62"

556 Mini-Griptilian

* Blade Length: 2.91"
* Blade Thickness: 0.100"
* Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 2.56 oz.
* Overall Length: 6.78"
* Closed Length: 3.87"

BLADE: Both knives feature 154CM steel shaped into modified drop point patterns. As has been well proven, 154CM is a high-value steel that holds up to daily usage and resharpens well. To an extent, the "modification" on the drop point shape involves introduction of clip-point elements to the design. This shape is highly effective for most EDC tasks; however, since the blade isn't done with a full-flat grind, it does lack the slicing efficiency of a Dejavoo. The spine of the blade features an exceptionally well executed thumb ramp. This ramp is perfectly jimped and serves to make the knife much more controllable. This is a great feature and helps immensely when the cutting task at hand requires precision. The blade is deployed manually through ambidextrous thumb-studs. The studs are terraced and easy to manipulate.

HANDLE: The handle scale material on both knives is Valox. This strong-yet-light material makes for an effective and durable handle. The scales feature machining on them to facilitate exceptional traction (which is where the name "Griptilian" comes in). As FRN scales go, the Griptilian scales are quite "grippy"; that said, they don't work as well as a nicely-textured G10 or Carbon Fiber. However, the Valox scales are contoured to fit very comfortably in the user's hand. Beneath the scales are full steel liners. These add torsional strength to the knife. Even with these nested liners, both knives are quite light. Both the full size and "mini" Griptilians feature the Axis Lock system. To be certain, this is one of the greatest locking systems ever created. The mechanism is very safe, providing an exceptionally strong lock up, as well as a nice intermediate detent when closing the blade. This allows the user to feel the next "closing point" prior to securing the blade away. Underneath the handle is a strong pivot pin, housed between bronze phosphor bushings (these help to make the blade deploy very smoothly). Last, but not least, the handle on both knives include a lanyard hole.

PRIMARY USE: The larger Griptilian functions very well in handling just about every EDC task a user can encounter. Often, knife experts talk about "hard use" folding knives. Article after article...and posting after posting mention all kinds of knives...EXCEPT the Griptilian. Ironically, I've found that the full-size Griptilian is a very solid "hard use" knife. It slices, it pierces and even chops a bit...all without ending up the worse for wear. In a pinch, the 551 Griptilian could stand it's own ground in a tactical situation. It's that solid of a knife. As for the 556 Mini Griptilian, it is an excellent small EDC knife. In fact, most tasks that the average person encounters every day, can be easily handled by the compact Mini Grip. Being as well made as it's larger sibling, this small knife is about as durable as they come. From opening packages, mail, cutting string, rope, cardboard and even wood...all extremely doable with the 556.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Given it's existing lifespan, it could be argued that much of the Griptilian's coolness is yesterday's news. However, some things never go out of style. Top quality, effective as a tool...and the incredible Axis Lock...these things are truly timeless. Additionally, Benchmade has made the Griptilian available in a variety of configurations. While 154CM steel is perhaps the most common, there are Griptilian models available in D2, S30V and even M4. While the Modified Drop Point is probably the most common blade shape, Tanto and Sheepsfoot models exist...as does a Limited Edition Ritter version. Also, Benchmade makes several configurations available with different colored handle scales. The models shown in the accompanying photo are Sand-colored, though OD Green, Blue, Yellow, Black and Pink can all be had. For the collector with some extra dollars in their pocket, the Gold Class Grip features Carbon Fiber scales. So...when it comes to Second Kind of Cool, the Grip has a lot to offer...and most of it at prices just about anyone can afford.

OVERALL TAKE: Benchmades's Griptilian knives have a ton to offer just about every user...from the average person to LE and Military. From a first-timer...to an experienced collector, the Grips are worth checking out.
Hey Chris! Outstanding presentation, I have the Onslaught and Bedlam, however you sold me on the Rukus. It has a great finish and most of all the 4" blade for added reach, good job.
Mike
Good choice, Michael and glad that you liked the review! Stay tuned because I have some really fun Benchmade models coming up (I've been on a Benchmade binge!).

MICHAEL MAYFIELD said:
Hey Chris! Outstanding presentation, I have the Onslaught and Bedlam, however you sold me on the Rukus. It has a great finish and most of all the 4" blade for added reach, good job.
Mike
Nothing quite like the Gold Class Griptilian! Beautiful piece of cutlery!

Chris Stookey said:

I've long avoided doing a review of Benchmade's Griptilian knives. Predominantly, I've felt that the Griptilians are so well known that a review of them would not be needed. Since then, I've come to realize that there are people visiting iKC who have not owned or used a Griptilian. So...this review is mostly for those people; I say "mostly" because there are some long-standing iKC members who really enjoy the Griptilian platform...and those folks may also enjoy the review. Without futher adieu....

551 Full-size Griptilian

556 Mini-Griptilian

BLADE: Both knives feature 154CM steel shaped into modified drop point patterns. As has been well proven, 154CM is a high-value steel that holds up to daily usage and resharpens well. To an extent, the "modification" on the drop point shape involves introduction of clip-point elements to the design. This shape is highly effective for most EDC tasks; however, since the blade isn't done with a full-flat grind, it does lack the slicing efficiency of a Dejavoo. The spine of the blade features an exceptionally well executed thumb ramp. This ramp is perfectly jimped and serves to make the knife much more controllable. This is a great feature and helps immensely when the cutting task at hand requires precision. The blade is deployed manually through ambidextrous thumb-studs. The studs are terraced and easy to manipulate.

HANDLE: The handle scale material on both knives is Valox. This strong-yet-light material makes for an effective and durable handle. The scales feature machining on them to facilitate exceptional traction (which is where the name "Griptilian" comes in). As FRN scales go, the Griptilian scales are quite "grippy"; that said, they don't work as well as a nicely-textured G10 or Carbon Fiber. However, the Valox scales are contoured to fit very comfortably in the user's hand. Beneath the scales are full steel liners. These add torsional strength to the knife. Even with these nested liners, both knives are quite light. Both the full size and "mini" Griptilians feature the Axis Lock system. To be certain, this is one of the greatest locking systems ever created. The mechanism is very safe, providing an exceptionally strong lock up, as well as a nice intermediate detent when closing the blade. This allows the user to feel the next "closing point" prior to securing the blade away. Underneath the handle is a strong pivot pin, housed between bronze phosphor bushings (these help to make the blade deploy very smoothly). Last, but not least, the handle on both knives include a lanyard hole.

PRIMARY USE: The larger Griptilian functions very well in handling just about every EDC task a user can encounter. Often, knife experts talk about "hard use" folding knives. Article after article...and posting after posting mention all kinds of knives...EXCEPT the Griptilian. Ironically, I've found that the full-size Griptilian is a very solid "hard use" knife. It slices, it pierces and even chops a bit...all without ending up the worse for wear. In a pinch, the 551 Griptilian could stand it's own ground in a tactical situation. It's that solid of a knife. As for the 556 Mini Griptilian, it is an excellent small EDC knife. In fact, most tasks that the average person encounters every day, can be easily handled by the compact Mini Grip. Being as well made as it's larger sibling, this small knife is about as durable as they come. From opening packages, mail, cutting string, rope, cardboard and even wood...all extremely doable with the 556.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Given it's existing lifespan, it could be argued that much of the Griptilian's coolness is yesterday's news. However, some things never go out of style. Top quality, effective as a tool...and the incredible Axis Lock...these things are truly timeless. Additionally, Benchmade has made the Griptilian available in a variety of configurations. While 154CM steel is perhaps the most common, there are Griptilian models available in D2, S30V and even M4. While the Modified Drop Point is probably the most common blade shape, Tanto and Sheepsfoot models exist...as does a Limited Edition Ritter version. Also, Benchmade makes several configurations available with different colored handle scales. The models shown in the accompanying photo are Sand-colored, though OD Green, Blue, Yellow, Black and Pink can all be had. For the collector with some extra dollars in their pocket, the Gold Class Grip features Carbon Fiber scales. So...when it comes to Second Kind of Cool, the Grip has a lot to offer...and most of it at prices just about anyone can afford.

OVERALL TAKE: Benchmades's Griptilian knives have a ton to offer just about every user...from the average person to LE and Military. From a first-timer...to an experienced collector, the Grips are worth checking out.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for all of your excellent reviews of my favorite brand.

And yes, the Gold class Grip is a superb knife.

Cheers,
Joe

Chris Stookey said:
Nothing quite like the Gold Class Griptilian! Beautiful piece of cutlery!

Chris Stookey said:

551 Full-size Griptilian

556 Mini-Griptilian

Hey Chris, I have heard that the D2 steel is hard to sharpen, I doubt if you had a need to sharpen your yet. Have had any experience with D2 steel on other knives?
Mike

Chris Stookey said:

Today, we'll be taking a look at one of the most important knives in the history of bladecraft; the Benchmade 710 McHenry Williams.

710 McHenry Williams

BLADE:
Made from a high-quality D2 Tool Steel, the 710 sports a modified clip-point design. The "modification" brings in influences from both drop-point and spear-point concepts, making the 710 an extremely versatile tool. A close examination of the blade yields an ever-so-subtle recurve running from it's belly to the ricasso. A moderate swedge runs from the spine's halfway mark to the tip of the knife. The grind lines and overall shape of this blade present a sleekly elegant appearance. The 710's "larger" 3.90" length gives the user considerable flexibility when it comes to application. The finish on the steel blade is a perfectly-worked satin. Running your finger along it's surface shows no sign of blemish or variation in the grinding of the steel. There is no jimping on the spine of the blade...but the 710's handle design makes jimping unnecessary. Dual ambidextrous thumb-studs make deploying this knife easy. Though the thumb-studs lack gnurling, the terracing at their top provides reasonable traction.

HANDLE: The handle shape of the 710 is remarkably ergonomic, in spite of it's lacking a defined index finger choil. The design is "open", allowing users with different sized hands a variety of grip options. The handle is surfaced with G10 scales. The texturing on the G10 is somewhat "smooth" and while it feels very comfortable in hand, the knife lacks the serious gription that could be easily achieved with the kind of checkering found on several competitors' knives. Steel liners under the G10 scales provide additional strength. The shape of the handle provides a type of thumb-ramp and slight front choil; a decent grip on the knife pretty much ensures no slippage. The 710 features a backspacer concept...so cleaning of the knife (short of disassembling it; which I don't recommend) is best achieved via compressed air. The knife features a simple black pocket clip located in the tip-up position, though it can be switched for left-hand carry (comes out-of-the-box as a right-hander). The clip's design works nicely, riding relatively low in the pocket while providing a good sense of security (the knife is very unlikely to come out of the pocket unintentionally). And now we get to a point of historic importance. The 710 McHenry Williams folding knife was the very first Benchmade to feature the infamous Axis-Lock!!! For any Benchmade Addict, this is a knife to celebrate! Indeed, it is a knife that the industry should celebrate; it is that REVOLUTIONARY!!! For those new to the Axis-Lock, simply put, this system is one of the very best locking mechanisms ever designed. It is simple to use, extremely effective and extraordinarily durable. If you want to find out more about the system, visit the Benchmade web site...as a full write-up would be too divergent for this knife review.

PRIMARY USE:
As indicated above, the design of the 710 makes it an unusually flexible tool. Though perhaps too large for an office environment, it is ideal for people whose tasks require a larger folding knife. From construction and warehouse work to tactical, the 710 is totally capable, easy to use and tougher than 16-penny nails. It slices wonderfully via the clip-point shape (the tiny recurve aids in this application). It pierces surprisingly well. In a defensive encounter, the blade's size and shape make it an ideal companion. Unfortunately, Benchmade chooses not to provide the right kind of texturing on it's G10...so if your hand is wet, things could get a little "iffy". If everything is dry and you have a good grip on your knife...things should work just fine. The knife deploys quickly and the Axis-Lock system makes it very safe to use...even in a hard-use scenario. In a construction environment, the D2 steel helps the knife keep it's edge in spite of the materials that it will be forced to cut through. You want to know just how versatile the 710 is? It also makes for a heck of chef's knife...in a pinch! Vegetable, fruits, meat, even bread...the 710 is big enough to take care of kitchen chores in no time at all. That said, all the acid in that foodstuff isn't a happy thing...so remember to clean the blade vigorously after use (and dry thoroughly).

SECOND KIND OF COOL: When it comes to the 710, this is an interesting topic. As the very first Axis-Lock knife, this blade scores at the very top of the charts in "coolness"!!! It's shape...it's sleek profile...is a great study in "simple beauty". The flexible nature of the 710 makes it unusually effective...and that is just plain old "cool"! The materials used aren't exotic, but they are "cool". That said, Benchmade offers many knives whose aesthetics are much more pronounced than those of the 710 McHenry Williams. So...on a 1-to-10 scale (with 10 being the highest possible score), the 710 registers as an 8. It's historic value is undeniably high!

OVERALL TAKE: The 710 McHenry Williams is, simply stated, one of Benchmade's very best designs. As a "user", this knife is just plain hard-to-beat! As a self-defense tool, it's very effective. And you get all this at a nicely affordable price. What a great knife! If you don't own one, you are most certainly "missing out". Big time!
Hi Michael,

Yes...D2 is very difficult to sharpen. My experience is that because it is so very hard, the steel tends to roll a bit when sharpened. This means that you really need to check the edge as you go. I recently learned a nifty sharpening tip for D2; if you sharpen the knife in the direction opposite what we call "normal", it tends to eliminate the rolling aspect and really puts a fine edge on the steel. That said, when it comes to sharpening knives, I've generally found that finding the right angle...and holding it consistently, is the most important part of any sharpening technique.

MICHAEL MAYFIELD said:
Hey Chris, I have heard that the D2 steel is hard to sharpen, I doubt if you had a need to sharpen your yet. Have had any experience with D2 steel on other knives?
Mike

Chris Stookey said:

710 McHenry Williams

BLADE:

PRIMARY USE:

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service