Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

In this discussion forum, we'll be reviewing a variety of popular Benchmade knives. These reviews will cover not only statistical data, but actual life use as well. Though I'm a big Benchmade fan, I'll be very direct and candid about each of the knives that I review. Benchmade, as a GREAT company as it is, isn't perfect...and while I'm sure to point out many positive aspects of the knives, you can also count on me to point out any deficiencies that I see and experience. Additional feedback by the members of this group will also provide a valuable broad-base for those interested in Benchmade's product. So join us as we take a hard look at products produced by one of the world's premier knife manufacturers!

Views: 17394

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for an excellent review of the 790 Subrosa. I've owned mine for months and it's really hard to take it out of my pocket...unless it's being used of course. (;-)

Mine came with the lock about 65% across the tang when opened, and by making a quick and simple adjustment to the hex stop pin moved the lock back to 50% and that's all I've had to do maintenance-wise, aside from touching it up on the Edge Pro. Unlike the 710's recurve, the one on the 790's much milder and aside from that S30V is a lot easier to sharpen than the current D2 on the McHenry offering.

One note on the opening process. I've found it necessary to watch the fingertip of my right hand during the opening process...there's that little hook on the back of the tang that snugs over the hex stop pin and I've been given a couple of blood blisters from getting pinched.

So...aside from that little item to watch out for the knife is a pleasure to use, and very close to the original Lerch custom version. The Ti scales show typical pocket wear but it's the nature of things.

I give this knife a big +1...if you don't have one, go get one.

You are quite welcome, Jeremi. I have some other Benchmade knives coming in and it looks like 2011 is going to show us some mighty fine NEW Benchmades!

Jeremi Lett said:
That is nice.I have never seen this knife but it is one of the sleekest BM folders I've seen.Thx 4 reviewing.

The knife that we'll be looking at today was newly released in 2010. It is the 741 Onslaught. It is a Lum design and qualifies as one of the larger folding knives currently included in Benchmade's offering.

741 Onslaught; Lum design

* Blade Length: 4.28"
* Blade Thickness: 0.121"
* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Clip-Point; Ambidextrous Thumb Hole
* Weight: 6.96 oz.
* Clip: Tip-up, Black Steel
* Lock Mechanism: Axis Lock
* Overall Length: 9.63"
* Closed Length: 5.47"
* Sheath Material: Sold Separately
* Class: Blue

BLADE:  The Benchmade/Lum designed Onslaught has one of the most unique blade shapes found in all of modern cutlery. As a modified clip-point, this blade shape...at least to me...is somewhat reminiscent of a Rhino's horn (the large swedge is what gives the knife such an affinity). At over 4-and-a-quarter inches long, this is a very large blade. Additionally, the Rhino-shape is very broad. Interestingly, this very large piece of steel is only .121" thick. This is the thinnest stock of any large folder currently in my collection.

Made of extremely reliable 154CM steel, the blade is finished in what appears to be a cross between "tumbled" and "satin". It is a nice look...though a bit different from what is seen on my other Benchmade knives. The spine of the blade is not jimped. This is an odd oversight given that the shape of blade encourages the inclusion of this feature. Then again, the lines of the blade are very "clean" and perhaps aesthetic intent overruled the ergonomic benefits that come with jimping.

The blade is deployed by use of a thumb-hole (aka the Dejavoo series...and obviously a Spyderco-influenced concept). The size of the hole is "large" and works extremely well. Whether opening quickly with a "snap" or "slow and smooth", this ergonomic element is extremely easy to use...with or without gloves. The machining of the thumb-hole is very well done as it is smoothly polished and very comfortable on the skin of the thumb. This attention to detail is a hallmark trait of Benchmade and I'm pleased to see that the intelligence shown via the Dejavoo's thumb-holes is evident on the Onslaught.

HANDLE: The shape of the Onslaught's handle is nearly as definitive as that of it's blade. The upper portion of the handle flows with the natural curve of the hand, providing exceptional comfort when the knife is used "hard". On heavy push-cuts, this ergonomic shape "meets" the hand, rather than resisting it or biting into the skin.  All of the edges of the handle are smoothly rolled and this user would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable knife handle. The underside of the handle largely dictates hand position by locating it further towards the butt of the knife. Directly beneath the knife's pivot, there is a large flat area. This acts as a "mega" choil, pushing the index finger back and virtually eliminating the option of "choking-up" on the blade for close, detail work. While this design generally increases the relative "safety" of the knife, I don't particularly care for it. I like to have options as to where I position my hand and as comfortable as the Onslaught's handle design may be, it is one of the most limiting of any that I've encountered.

In terms of materials, the handles feature the smoothly-textured G10 scales found on the Dejavoo series. Some people complain that this doesn't provide enough traction; if the knife or the hands are wet, it is possible to "slip around" a bit. That said, the shape of the handle nearly precludes "slipping" up onto the blade. When everything is "dry", this G10 feels extremely good in hand...and it adds a little aesthetic "oomph" as well. Beneath the G10 scales are full steel liners. They have been skeletonized to reduce weight. Given the Onslaught's 6.96 ounce heft, this was a good move. A rounded G10 backspacer closes up the open handle spine in what is basically the same fashion as used on the Dejavoo series of knives.

As you may have gathered, the Onslaught shares many design elements with the Dejavoo platform (thumb-hole blade deployment, G10 handle scales, no jimping). However, this knife comes with an important feature SORELY lacking in the Dejavoo; the Axis Lock mechanism. While the liner-lock design works in the Dejavoo, it is absolutely inferior to the proven strength, efficiency and effectiveness of the Axis Lock. As expected, this mechanism benefits the Onslaught IMMENSELY and is a perfect match for this large folding knife.

Last, but not least, the Onslaught comes with a large...LARGE...VERY LARGE...black, metal pocket clip. The clip has a single tip-up location. While it certainly ensures that the knife stays in your pocket, it is entirely too big. Also, the black metal lacks a matte finish...and tends to "gleam". While not as noticeable as polished stainless steel, neither is it as polite as a flat black finish would be. While the Onslaught is a very large folding knife, it's overall shape has an elegance to it...and the clip design fights this in an oddly contrarian fashion.

PRIMARY USE: The Onslaught is an interesting design. For the sake of categorizing it, I'll say that it's a "large EDC" or possibly "hunting blade". The lack of jimping on the blade's spine...the relative thinness of the blade stock vs. the breadth of the blade and the rear-positioning of the hand certainly preclude the Onslaught from being a very good consideration for "tactical application".

The thinness of the blade make this knife an extremely effective "slicer". Humorously, it is easily the best folding food prep knife that I've ever encountered. In fact, I'd say that it's the absolute coolest kitchen knife ever created. I know, I know...some readers are probably shaking their fists at the computer screen after reading that last comment. Hey...the fact of the matter is that the Onslaught rocks as a food prep knife (kitchen or outdoors). Unfortunately, the very thing that makes it such a great slicer also limits the Onslaught's effectiveness as a large EDC blade. The thinness of the blade's stock makes the tip more likely to break...and reduces it's torsional durability.

So it's time for me to be blunt here; the Onslaught...is a bit of a lost lamb. It's blade lacks the necessary girth to endure hard use in either heavy-duty EDC or tactical roles. That said, if a defensive encounter occurred and all you had on you was an Onslaught, if you used it solely as a slicer...it's size might well produce some fairly vicious end-results. Unfortunately, most knife fights include "stabbing" or "piercing" as a mainstay and it's hard to end a fight with slashes "alone".

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Really, Lum designs are inherently cool. The Onslaught is no exception. It's shape is unusually distinctive. This aspect causes the knife to score highly on the aesthetic charts. The overall "refinement" and quality of the knife are very "high". There is no denying that Benchmade did a good job of making this knife. As a collector's piece, it scores well in terms of "second kind of cool". As a "user", it doesn't score nearly as well. Overall...on a 1-to-10 scale with 10 being the highest possible score, I give the Onslaught a 6.8. Above average, but relatively low for a Benchmade.

OVERALL TAKE: The Onslaught is absolutely mis-named. Benchmade's marketing department must have been out-to-lunch when they came up with the name. The design of this knife is flawed. Yes, Mr. Lum is a top-tier designer...without question. Still, I'm calling it as I see it. There are only three simple things needed to make the Onslaught live up to it's uber-macho name (and to make it a FANTASTIC knife):

* Use at least .125" blade stock.

* Reduce the "mega choil" flat area located below the pivot. Open this area up a bit for the index finger to get a little closer to the blade's ricasso.

* Reduce the width and overall size of the pocket clip...and finish it in matte black.

As you've undoubtedly gathered, I consider the Onslaught an odd "miss" for Benchmade. Don't misunderstand, it's not that I actually dislike the knife. In fact, I like it enough that I just picked up the recently released 746 Mini Onslaught (a review will follow when I've had enough time with the knife to speak about it credibly). My frustration with the Onslaught is that it really could be AN EXCEPTIONAL BLADE...just by implementing the three items listed above. It's that "easy".  ADDITIONALLY, there is an interesting and totally unexpected benefit to Benchmade releasing the flawed Onslaught design; it highlights what needs to be done to IMPROVE the very good Dejavoo platform. BENCHMADE (please pay attention): add the Axis Lock to the Dejavoo series!!! Doing that improves what is already a VERY good knife design...in a HUGE way!

Today, we'll be taking a good look at one of the most unusual designs to come out of the Benchmade factory in many years. The Shane Sibert-designed  755 Mini Pocket Rocket. This little knife is, quite literally, FULL OF SURPRISES. What kind of surprises? Well...you'll just have to read on to find out...

755 MPR

* Blade Length: 2.90"
* Blade Thickness: 0.164"
* Blade Material: M390 Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 60-62 HRC
* Blade Style: Tactical-Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 5.50 oz.
* Clip: Tip-down, Titanium
* Lock Mechanism: Mono-Lock
* Overall Length: 6.90"
* Closed Length: 3.80"

BLADE: The 755 MPR sports a blade shape that Benchmade describes as a "Tactical Drop-point". Given the rather modest length of 2.90", the inclusion of the word "Tactical" seems inappropriate to me. Also, this is a Blue Class knife; not a Black Class blade. In any event, Benchmade did a fantastic job of shaping the Mini Pocket Rocket's blade. The grind lines are well-executed and provide aesthetic interest without impeding functionality. There is a smooth-run swedge on the upper tip's spine. The grind runs about 60/40 over the blade's breadth and while some have described this as a flat-grind, it's cutting behavior almost reminds me of a convex grind. Additionally, there is a fuller located within the upper 40's flat. It serves no particular purpose, but provides yet another aesthetic point of interest.

At the top of the spine, located just ahead of the knife's handle is one of the MPR's "surprises"; jimping. In and of itself, that the knife has jimping is not particularly surprising. Take a good look at the picture and study it closely. Notice something odd? See the wide-spacing of the jimping's "teeth"? Notice that they almost look "rounded"? I have to admit that prior to handling this knife, I presumed that the MPR's jimping would be more aesthetic than ergonomic. Boy was I wrong!!! In spite of the big spacing between teeth, the Mini Pocket Rocket's jimping works extremely well and is freakishly comfortable at the same time. While it could be argued that jimping isn't all that necessary with such a short blade, I've found that this is only one facet of "popular thinking" that the MPR outright ignores...and it does so to the benefit of it's owner.The MPR is, in my experience, the MOST controllable knife of it's size.

The steel used on the MPR's blade is M390 (at .164" thick, making this knife a lot burlier than similarly-sized competitors). This has been dubbed one of the modern era's "super steels". Candidly, prior to 2010, I had absolutely zero experience with it. Over the past year, I've picked up a few knives that sport this metal...and can now speak from a standpoint of "reasonable experience". So what do I think? Well, it's pretty hard; reminds me a bit of D2 without some of the "brittleness". It HOLDS an edge extremely well...certainly equal to ZDP-189. This also means that the "smart" owner remembers to "touch up" the edge of the blade with some degree of regularity. Why? Let it get too dull and you'll be working hard to bring the blade back up to par. Last, but not least, the finish on the blade is a "tumbled satin". I think that the relative hardness of M390 may make finishing it a bit more difficult than some of it's older siblings. Benchmade did a nice job of it, but if you look closely and compare it against the finish of the steel used on other Benchmade knives (in 154CM, D2 or S30V), you'll see that it does look a bit "different".

HANDLE: As indicated at the beginning of this review, the MPR is "full of surprises"...and the knife's handle picks up where the blade left off. Where to begin? Well...lets talk about materials and leave the surprise for the end of this particular topic.

The scales on the Mini Pocket Rocket are a textured G10. As we all know, the knife business...like many other businesses...is about "competition". Relative to texturing on G10, it can be said (truthfully so) that Spyderco does it "way better" than Benchmade (and perhaps the rest of the knife manufacturers as well). Regular readers of this forum have undoubtedly heard my previous criticism of the texturing that Benchmade does on it's G10. Well...the texturing on the MPR's G10 scales has demonstrated that Benchmade really has "figured out" how to do texturing on G10. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that the MPR's G10 feels every bit as good as anything I've encountered on the dozens of Spyderco's that I've used over the years. The MPR's G10 texturing is truly "perfect". What else? How about the color?! That teal green G10 just rocks!!! Totally unique.

Underneath the G10 handle scales is a Titanium frame. It is nicely-executed and gives this little blade a ton of strength via it's integrated Mono-Lock system. For those of you not familiar with the Mono-Lock, you can think of it as being somewhat similar to the Reeve Integral Lock. While the two lock systems do have "differences", the basic function is the same. The finish on the Titanium is very "matte" and contrasts beautifully with the finish on the M390 blade steel. Additionally, the pocket clip is Titanium...and really quite strong...in spite of it's relatively small size. The matte finish of the Titanium makes the pocket clip less noticeable when the knife is residing in the user's pocket.

And now we get to yet another one of the Mini Pocket Rocket's "surprises"; the handle shape. The combination of thick G10 and Titanium make the handle relatively "thick". This shows up in the weight of the knife (5.5 ounces). The handle is "chunky"; there's just no way of getting around this fact. Guess what? That "chunkiness" serves a purpose. Huh? How so? Isn't "chunky" bad? Nope; in this case (and with salsa), "chunky" is GOOD. Why? Well, take a gander at the shape of the handle. It's kind of...well..."short". Now wait a minute...I know what you're thinking, "Short AND chunky? How on earth could this be good?" The handle is a 3-finger deal for me...with my pinky residing behind the butt of the knife. Those three other fingers...and the chunkiness of the handle...serve to TOTALLY LOCK the knife in my hand. In fact, I don't know that I've ever had another knife feel as "locked" in hand as my MPR does.  Between this and the jimping on the spine of the blade, the MPR is probably the most easily controlled knife I've ever used. Yep, surprise! Chunky really is good!

PRIMARY USE: Earlier in the review, I eschewed Benchmade's description of "Tactical Drop-point". So...I really consider the MPR a HEAVY DUTY EDC blade. Yeah...it's short...it's chunky...it's heavy...and it is one burly little cutting machine! Sure...it'll do pretty much all of the light-duty EDC tasks we typically encounter in a day (opening mail, cutting string, paper, cardboard, food prep, etc.)...but it will also handle some much tougher cutting chores! Cutting thick hanks of rope? No problem. Cutting nasty-thick cardboard? Piece of cake. Cutting leather? Done. Wood? Got it covered. How about cutting carpet and vinyl flooring? It'll handle this without flinching. Puncturing tin? Yep. Am I kidding?! Holes in tin?!! Oh yeah! This all said, I should mention that the thickness of the blade means that it doesn't slice as well as many other knives. Obviously, the short blade limits how far the user can go...to a large extent...but that doesn't change the fact that this is one little tank of a knife! Did I mention that the MPR is kind of heavy? Well, it is. So...it rides best with jeans and not Dockers. Got a pair of heavy duty BDU's? Ok...that will work.

Now...I'm going to take a second to contradict myself a bit. Shake your fist at me if you must...or if it makes you feel better...but pay attention. Though I don't consider the MPR "tactical" in in way...it's overbuilt burliness makes it viable for self-defense. Yeah...the stubby blade means that you're gonna be nasty-close to your opponent. So close that you'll know if he uses deodorant. Yeah...that "stubbiness" means that you probably won't "reach" any vitals with the MPR. But. Yeah...there's a "but". While the knife's blade is a shorty, it's also pretty broad...and with a nice, thick tip. So...a stab and twist is guaranteed to remove very large chunks of flesh...which most opponents would be more than merely "bothered" by. Also, keep in mind that the shortness of the Mini Pocket Rocket, makes it "fast". Sounds like a very ugly experience, doesn't it? Sure enough...and God willing, you'll never have to find out just how ugly such a moment is. However, with the MPR, you'll be far from "unarmed".

SECOND KIND OF COOL: As I mentioned above, the MPR is "short and chunky". I also stated that this physical structure "works" well for the Mini Pocket Rocket. In other words, this knife is SURPRISINGLY FUNCTIONAL and shockingly effective. Fact of the matter is that this is "way cool". It just is. You know what else? The knife actually looks and feels "way cool" too. And, in a way, that is also "surprising". The teal-green handle scales...the shape of the knife...the M390 blade steel...the Titanium frame and Mono-Lock. All...cool, cool, cool. You know what else? Even the Sibert logo on the backside of the blade is "cool". Kind of reminds me of some 50's era advertising art. And to me...that is "way cool". So...all this to say that the 755 MPR is "off the hook" when it comes to "Second Kind of Cool".

OVERALL TAKE: This knife isn't cheap; you're looking at the better part of two c-notes to score one. Be that as it may...this blade is worth every single cent. The knife is very "overbuilt"...so much so that I have zero doubt that it will outlast me. In many regards, the MPR breaks nearly every rule of "good knife design" that we've come to know. Shane Sibert's design flies in the face of popular thinking...and does so to STUNNING EFFECT. It's so good that I'm going to have to buy another...and this one will come with a black blade. Ah...nothing quite like more steel goodness! This is more than a home-run; it's a "game winner".

Hey Chris!!!   Wow, what a review!!!  I have the Benchmade MPR also and I must admit it took me several months to make up my mind about the purchase.  I generally stay away from 3" and under size blades, however the fit and finish of this blade works well with my extra large hands.  Frankly, for tactical use or secondary self defense it falls short, I generally carry mind in my right rear pocket with a bigger blade in right front.

This blade has work great on construction sites, fishing/hunting trips and all EDC tasks, it's a real bulldog and holds an edge that anyone would appreciate.

Chris, in one of my comments, I refer to Joe Karp as the Professor, however I must change my opinion ( all due respect to Joe). In the brief time I have been apart of IKC I am continually amazed at the knowledge of the sport everyone has, and that's coming from a strict GLOCK man who would rarely turn to a knife to defuse a situation and/or self defense.  While my Glock 27  remains my primary EDC, it has become difficult deciding what blade to carry since I become involved in the sport and collected almost 100 blades.  I now have my Mailman timed when expecting my next shipment, while my Wife continues to pull her hair out every time a package arrives (hey it beats SHOES).

Stay Sharp

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the inclusion in your note above. I spend a lot of my time over at the Benchmade Forum and don't come here very often either, but it's always fun to play on another board.  Instead of Professor, you can just call me Joe, that works most of the time. Actually your last line is funny and right on...one of the players on the BKC Forum is called "Knives for Shoes"...and I think that's a great title. (He gets the knives and she gets the SHOES...(;-)

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the great reviews of both 741 and the 755. I am a big fan of Bob Lum (RIP) and own or have owned all of the Benchmade versions and love 'em a lot...as for the 755 it's not one of my picks, the thing is just a little too large, (say thick...) for my tastes, although I also favor knives in the 3" range.

My current favorite is a 585-1 Mini-Barrage, (the standard 585 with black G-10 scales SHOT show special from last year. )

Cheers,

Joe

Chris Stookey said:

Today, we'll be taking a good look at one of the most unusual designs to come out of the Benchmade factory in many years. The Shane Sibert-designed  755 Mini Pocket Rocket. This little knife is, quite literally, FULL OF SURPRISES. What kind of surprises? Well...you'll just have to read on to find out...

755 MPR

* Blade Length: 2.90"
* Blade Thickness: 0.164"
* Blade Material: M390 Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 60-62 HRC
* Blade Style: Tactical-Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 5.50 oz.
* Clip: Tip-down, Titanium
* Lock Mechanism: Mono-Lock
* Overall Length: 6.90"
* Closed Length: 3.80"

BLADE: The 755 MPR sports a blade shape that Benchmade describes as a "Tactical Drop-point". Given the rather modest length of 2.90", the inclusion of the word "Tactical" seems inappropriate to me. Also, this is a Blue Class knife; not a Black Class blade. In any event, Benchmade did a fantastic job of shaping the Mini Pocket Rocket's blade. The grind lines are well-executed and provide aesthetic interest without impeding functionality. There is a smooth-run swedge on the upper tip's spine. The grind runs about 60/40 over the blade's breadth and while some have described this as a flat-grind, it's cutting behavior almost reminds me of a convex grind. Additionally, there is a fuller located within the upper 40's flat. It serves no particular purpose, but provides yet another aesthetic point of interest.

At the top of the spine, located just ahead of the knife's handle is one of the MPR's "surprises"; jimping. In and of itself, that the knife has jimping is not particularly surprising. Take a good look at the picture and study it closely. Notice something odd? See the wide-spacing of the jimping's "teeth"? Notice that they almost look "rounded"? I have to admit that prior to handling this knife, I presumed that the MPR's jimping would be more aesthetic than ergonomic. Boy was I wrong!!! In spite of the big spacing between teeth, the Mini Pocket Rocket's jimping works extremely well and is freakishly comfortable at the same time. While it could be argued that jimping isn't all that necessary with such a short blade, I've found that this is only one facet of "popular thinking" that the MPR outright ignores...and it does so to the benefit of it's owner.The MPR is, in my experience, the MOST controllable knife of it's size.

The steel used on the MPR's blade is M390 (at .164" thick, making this knife a lot burlier than similarly-sized competitors). This has been dubbed one of the modern era's "super steels". Candidly, prior to 2010, I had absolutely zero experience with it. Over the past year, I've picked up a few knives that sport this metal...and can now speak from a standpoint of "reasonable experience". So what do I think? Well, it's pretty hard; reminds me a bit of D2 without some of the "brittleness". It HOLDS an edge extremely well...certainly equal to ZDP-189. This also means that the "smart" owner remembers to "touch up" the edge of the blade with some degree of regularity. Why? Let it get too dull and you'll be working hard to bring the blade back up to par. Last, but not least, the finish on the blade is a "tumbled satin". I think that the relative hardness of M390 may make finishing it a bit more difficult than some of it's older siblings. Benchmade did a nice job of it, but if you look closely and compare it against the finish of the steel used on other Benchmade knives (in 154CM, D2 or S30V), you'll see that it does look a bit "different".

HANDLE: As indicated at the beginning of this review, the MPR is "full of surprises"...and the knife's handle picks up where the blade left off. Where to begin? Well...lets talk about materials and leave the surprise for the end of this particular topic.

The scales on the Mini Pocket Rocket are a textured G10. As we all know, the knife business...like many other businesses...is about "competition". Relative to texturing on G10, it can be said (truthfully so) that Spyderco does it "way better" than Benchmade (and perhaps the rest of the knife manufacturers as well). Regular readers of this forum have undoubtedly heard my previous criticism of the texturing that Benchmade does on it's G10. Well...the texturing on the MPR's G10 scales has demonstrated that Benchmade really has "figured out" how to do texturing on G10. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that the MPR's G10 feels every bit as good as anything I've encountered on the dozens of Spyderco's that I've used over the years. The MPR's G10 texturing is truly "perfect". What else? How about the color?! That teal green G10 just rocks!!! Totally unique.

Underneath the G10 handle scales is a Titanium frame. It is nicely-executed and gives this little blade a ton of strength via it's integrated Mono-Lock system. For those of you not familiar with the Mono-Lock, you can think of it as being somewhat similar to the Reeve Integral Lock. While the two lock systems do have "differences", the basic function is the same. The finish on the Titanium is very "matte" and contrasts beautifully with the finish on the M390 blade steel. Additionally, the pocket clip is Titanium...and really quite strong...in spite of it's relatively small size. The matte finish of the Titanium makes the pocket clip less noticeable when the knife is residing in the user's pocket.

And now we get to yet another one of the Mini Pocket Rocket's "surprises"; the handle shape. The combination of thick G10 and Titanium make the handle relatively "thick". This shows up in the weight of the knife (5.5 ounces). The handle is "chunky"; there's just no way of getting around this fact. Guess what? That "chunkiness" serves a purpose. Huh? How so? Isn't "chunky" bad? Nope; in this case (and with salsa), "chunky" is GOOD. Why? Well, take a gander at the shape of the handle. It's kind of...well..."short". Now wait a minute...I know what you're thinking, "Short AND chunky? How on earth could this be good?" The handle is a 3-finger deal for me...with my pinky residing behind the butt of the knife. Those three other fingers...and the chunkiness of the handle...serve to TOTALLY LOCK the knife in my hand. In fact, I don't know that I've ever had another knife feel as "locked" in hand as my MPR does.  Between this and the jimping on the spine of the blade, the MPR is probably the most easily controlled knife I've ever used. Yep, surprise! Chunky really is good!

PRIMARY USE: Earlier in the review, I eschewed Benchmade's description of "Tactical Drop-point". So...I really consider the MPR a HEAVY DUTY EDC blade. Yeah...it's short...it's chunky...it's heavy...and it is one burly little cutting machine! Sure...it'll do pretty much all of the light-duty EDC tasks we typically encounter in a day (opening mail, cutting string, paper, cardboard, food prep, etc.)...but it will also handle some much tougher cutting chores! Cutting thick hanks of rope? No problem. Cutting nasty-thick cardboard? Piece of cake. Cutting leather? Done. Wood? Got it covered. How about cutting carpet and vinyl flooring? It'll handle this without flinching. Puncturing tin? Yep. Am I kidding?! Holes in tin?!! Oh yeah! This all said, I should mention that the thickness of the blade means that it doesn't slice as well as many other knives. Obviously, the short blade limits how far the user can go...to a large extent...but that doesn't change the fact that this is one little tank of a knife! Did I mention that the MPR is kind of heavy? Well, it is. So...it rides best with jeans and not Dockers. Got a pair of heavy duty BDU's? Ok...that will work.

Now...I'm going to take a second to contradict myself a bit. Shake your fist at me if you must...or if it makes you feel better...but pay attention. Though I don't consider the MPR "tactical" in in way...it's overbuilt burliness makes it viable for self-defense. Yeah...the stubby blade means that you're gonna be nasty-close to your opponent. So close that you'll know if he uses deodorant. Yeah...that "stubbiness" means that you probably won't "reach" any vitals with the MPR. But. Yeah...there's a "but". While the knife's blade is a shorty, it's also pretty broad...and with a nice, thick tip. So...a stab and twist is guaranteed to remove very large chunks of flesh...which most opponents would be more than merely "bothered" by. Also, keep in mind that the shortness of the Mini Pocket Rocket, makes it "fast". Sounds like a very ugly experience, doesn't it? Sure enough...and God willing, you'll never have to find out just how ugly such a moment is. However, with the MPR, you'll be far from "unarmed".

SECOND KIND OF COOL: As I mentioned above, the MPR is "short and chunky". I also stated that this physical structure "works" well for the Mini Pocket Rocket. In other words, this knife is SURPRISINGLY FUNCTIONAL and shockingly effective. Fact of the matter is that this is "way cool". It just is. You know what else? The knife actually looks and feels "way cool" too. And, in a way, that is also "surprising". The teal-green handle scales...the shape of the knife...the M390 blade steel...the Titanium frame and Mono-Lock. All...cool, cool, cool. You know what else? Even the Sibert logo on the backside of the blade is "cool". Kind of reminds me of some 50's era advertising art. And to me...that is "way cool". So...all this to say that the 755 MPR is "off the hook" when it comes to "Second Kind of Cool".

OVERALL TAKE: This knife isn't cheap; you're looking at the better part of two c-notes to score one. Be that as it may...this blade is worth every single cent. The knife is very "overbuilt"...so much so that I have zero doubt that it will outlast me. In many regards, the MPR breaks nearly every rule of "good knife design" that we've come to know. Shane Sibert's design flies in the face of popular thinking...and does so to STUNNING EFFECT. It's so good that I'm going to have to buy another...and this one will come with a black blade. Ah...nothing quite like more steel goodness! This is more than a home-run; it's a "game winner".

Today we'll be taking a look at one of Benchmade's newest knives, the 860 Bedlam. While the automatic version has been out for a little bit, this review focuses on the new MANUAL version.

860 Bedlam

* Blade Length: 3.95"
* Blade Thickness: 0.125"
* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
* Blade Style: Modified-Bowie; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 7.10 oz.
* Clip: Skeletonized, Tip-up, Black, Reversible
* Lock Mechanism: Axis-Lock
* Overall Length: 9.71"
* Closed Length: 5.76"
* Class: Black

BLADE: The Bedlam features a 3.95" Modified-Bowie shape blade.  The inspiration for the blade shape seems to have been born of the the traditional S-curve knives favored by the tribesman of the Middle East. Indeed, the knife's exotic profile seems to have drawn a fair amount of interest. Made from .125" thick 154CM steel, the blade is large for a folding knife, albeit not the largest of it's kind. As is the case with many Benchmade knives, a smart thumb-ramp is perfectly located at the point where the spine of the blade meets the knife's handle. The ramp is effectively jimped and provides excellent purchase for the user's thumb. An interesting note; the thumb ramp is actually the most "up-swept" of any Benchmade that I've used. Frankly, it also works better than any Benchmade I've used. I find it a bit reminiscent of the thumb-ramp design utilized on a variety of Spyderco knives.

The blade shown in the photo sports Benchmade's beautiful satin finish. It is readily apparent that a little extra care went into creating this finish...as little remains of the vertical striations typically visible after the shape-grinding portion of the manufacturing process. Though the knife shown in this photo displays a plain-satin blade, combo edges are available and the knife can be hand in Benchmade's BK (black) coating as well. A perfectly executed spine swedge extends from slightly behind the tip of the blade to just in front of the Benchmade logo. This, combined with the slightly rounded profile of the spine's remainder give the blade an unusual level of elegance and aesthetic interest.

Deployment is accomplished through a 3-tiered thumb-stud design. Though the flats of the thumb-studs lack gnurling to provide traction, the tiered design provides plenty of "grab" for the meat of the user's thumb. Since the Bedlam comes with Benchmade's Axis-Lock system, the blade rockets out of the handle with only a moderate amount of thumb pressure. Certainly, the "larger" size of the blade helps create a little additional momentum when opening the knife.

HANDLE: One of the "draws" to the Bedlam is certainly it's handle design. The shape of the handle is an absolute hallmark lesson in the natural ergonomics of the human hand. The profile of the handle flows with the inherent curve of the human palm. This aspect also serves to enhance the Bedlam's somewhat "exotic" sense of style. The underside shape of the handle provides a superb front choil, followed by perfectly located finger grooves. I have to give Benchmade a big "BRAVO!" for designing the handle with plenty of real estate. It is very nice to not have the heel of my hand hanging in the wind!

The Bedlam features sculpted Black G-10 handle scales. The sculpting provides additional relief curves at each finger groove. The vertical striations created through the sculpting design provide a subtle-yet-surprising amount of aesthetic "pop". The visual effect is somewhat akin to the "tiger striping" affect seen on the wooden "flamed" maple tops used on several Gibson Les Paul guitars. Additionally, the tactile experience that the same striations provide is enjoyable and functional (albeit not as "grippy" as found on the more common "checkered" G10).

Beneath the handle scales are skeletonized steel liners. Given that the Bedlam is a fairly large folding knife (approaching 6" closed and 10" open), the added strength provided by the liners is quite welcome. Sure...I know...G10 is "nearly indestructible". I like my knives to have steel liners anyway. Why? It stiffens the knife up and provides less side-to-side flex...and in a big knife, that torsional rigidity is a definite "plus". Good thing that Benchmade did such a good job of skeletonizing the liners; even so, the knife crosses the seven-ounce mark. Yup...the Bedlam is a bit on the heavy side. For people that say, "Too heavy for me", I say, "stick to mid-size folding knives." Between the steel liners is a mid-handle located G10 spacer...and a steel pommel-type spacer at the butt. That pommel provides some jimping for additional traction and a nicely-located lanyard hole.

After owning this knife for a while, I've come to the conclusion that it is one of the few folding knives that really should have a lanyard. Why? Well, the pocket clip design Benchmade chose to use on the Bedlam is basically the same as they put on the Rukus. It's a skeletonized design. Candidly, I hate it. It is terrible. I criticized it in my review of the Rukus, and I'm criticizing it here. The bloody thing is super-flimsy. What does that mean? This is a sheath-only knife...or one that goes deep into the cargo pocket with an attached lanyard sticking out. As long as I'm on this particular "feature" of the knife, I should tell you that the pocket clip is positioned "tip-up" only, though you can reverse it for left-hand carry. The "tip-up only" orientation exacerbates a rather extreme deficiency within the knife; blade retention for the Bedlam is "bad". In spite of the Axis-Lock...or perhaps because of it, the blade "pops out" with very little motion. In this regard, it reminds me a bit of the Lum-designed Dejavoo (which is a liner lock knife). The good news...and given what I said a couple of sentences ago, this may sound like a contradiction...the Bedlam comes with the Axis-Lock. To date, this is, in my opinion, the best locking mechanism ever created for folding knives.

PRIMARY USE: This is certainly not an EDC knife. Nope. Not even for "big EDC". The knife is more oriented towards "defense" than anything (though, oddly enough, it is an AWESOME kitchen knife...due to the blade shape). With that in mind, the Modified-Bowie design provides viciously effective slashing capabilities. Totally wicked! Whether fore-grip or reverse-grip, the Bedlam creates horrifically deep cuts. How about stabbing? Well, the fact of the matter is that Bowie shapes aren't that great for stabbing and the Bedlam looses some effectiveness in that regard. However...and perhaps this is "just me", I've found that stabbing "works better" with the Bedlam held in reverse-grip. This all said, the Bedlam is a shocking good camp knife. Need to filet some fish? Yep...you can with the Bedlam. Prepare fuzz-sticks? Piece of wooden cake! Carve a wooden spoon for eating all that tasty wilderness stew? Very doable. So...I'll modify my earlier comment and say that the Bedlam is a great outdoors blade and self-defense tool.

SECOND KIND OF COOL:
The Bedlam sports an "exotic" kind of "coolness". Yeah...it's largely black coloration says "tactical". It's shape argues that a little bit and says "collectible". The sculpted G10 handles are undeniably cool. The Axis-Lock is historically cool. The satin blade on this edition is beautiful. The shape of the entire knife is "off the hook" cool. If it weren't for poor blade retention and a bum pocket clip design. this would be a 9 on a 10 scale. Still, the Bedlam is smoking cool...

OVERALL TAKE: The Bedlam is certainly one of Benchmade's more compelling designs. It is unarguably a cool knife to add to the collection. Indeed, I consider it a "must have" for any true Benchmade knife collector. That said, the Bedlam is wildly overpriced. Brand new, you'll be looking at something in the neighborhood of $200 US. Yeah...the knife is "big" (though much of that is the size of the handle and not the size of the blade)...and sculpted G10 is awesome, but Benchmade really needs to address the following:

* Poor blade retention. C'mon Benchmade! You CAN do better than this!

* Craptacular pocket clip design. C'mon Benchmade! Get RID of the skeletonized pocket clip concept. We don't need radical pocket clips; we need EFFECTIVE pocket clips! Don't look to Kershaw for design ideas on pocket clips...

* 154CM blade steel. While 154CM is definitely nothing to sneeze at, this knife's price dictates S30V!

* Ship the knife with a bigger pouch! Hello! You spent a bunch on packaging and left us with the standard size pouch? What were you thinking?

I realize that this review is kind of "long"...and in this modern era of "skim readers", most people don't really want to read "this much". Frankly, I'm "old school" and believe that it is critically important that people be very capable readers. I like reading...a lot. And I tend to write in a way that uses "more words". Undoubtedly, I could probably use the skills of a good editor...since I'm much better at editing someone else's work than my own! So...if you actually read this far...and didn't have to break open your bottle of Advil...and you actually enjoyed my rambling on about yet another knife...I've got a small reward for all the hard work and eye-strain that you've undergone here. What's the reward? Well, I've actually put a secret code in the review. If you can find it, you'll get your own free Bedlam! Nah...just kidding! However, I will give you a nice money-saving tip on where to get the Bedlam; go to www.knifeworks.com. They have the best price...and, if I remember correctly, they actually offer a coupon code of BR549 that will save you a bunch of moolah!

Today we'll be taking a look at an EDC blade; Benchmade's Pardue-designed 527 Axis Small. This knife has been in Benchmade's lineup for some time now...and the fact that it stays in the offering is a good indicator of how popular it is. Let's see what this knife is about...

527 Pardue AXIS Small (527 Mini-Presidio Ultra)

* Blade Length: 2.97"
* Blade Thickness: 0.115"
* Blade Material: 440C Stainless Steel
* Blade Style: Hollow-ground Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 3.10oz.
* Clip: Reversible Tip-up
* Lock Mechanism: AXIS Lock
* Overall Length: 7.12"
* Closed Length: 4.15"
* Class: Black

BLADE: The Pardue Axis Small has a hollow-ground drop point blade made from .115" thick 440C stainless steel. With so many other "advanced" steel types to choose from, users tend to scoff at the 440C steel used on this knife. They do so to their detriment. Benchmade's 440C is exceptionally well done, with a hardness rating of 58-60. The hollow-ground blade comes extremely sharp and is a very practical choice for all-around EDC. The finish on the blade is...well...very plain? I don't know how else to really describe it. It's unusually "rough" for a Benchmade...in that you can see all the machine-grind lines and they aren't cleaned up to a...refined type of finish level. The spine of the blade doesn't have any jimping, though really, the overall design of the knife is such that the user won't miss that feature. The blade is deployed via ambidextrous thumb studs. These studs feature perfectly-executed terracing, providing excellent traction for the flesh of the user's thumb.

HANDLE: The shape of the handle provides both a lower front finger choil and a nice thumb-ramp at the spine. This allows the hand to really "lock in" and the user needn't worry about slipping up onto the blade when stabbing or pushing down on the blade. The shape is very "natural"...and sports a perfect thickness of 1/2" (near the butt of the handle...the thickest point)...which serves to reduce hand fatigue during extended cutting tasks.

The exterior handle material on the 527 is a molded, textured, FRN. The texturing on the scales is nicely-done and provides a surprisingly effective amount of gription. One advantage to using FRN material for handle scales is that it greatly reduces the weight of the knife while providing exceptional durability. Indeed, FRN is an incredibly practical handle material.

Beneath the handle scales are milled-out steel liners. This adds some nice torsional rigidity to the 527. Since the liners are drilled out, they don't add much in the way of weight to the knife...and at just 3.1 ounces, this little companion rides along very nicely.

The locking system for the 527 is Benchmade's famous Axis Lock. This system offers a couple of superb advantages; 1) blade deployment is super-fast (the phosphor bronze washers help)... 2) Lock up is "tight" and very safe and 3) you can operate the knife, completely, with ONE hand. Operation doesn't get much simpler than this. To unlock the knife, simply let the butt of the handle rest against the inside heel of your palm, use your middle finger and thumb to grasp the Axis Lock buttons, pull back and the lock disengages. I then use my index finger to give the blade a little push to close. Some people use their thumb and index finger to disengage the lock and then flick their wrist to close the blade. I don't like this method as the blade has a habit of bouncing back out of the closed position before you've released the Axis Lock.

Finally, the Mini Presidio Ultra features Benchmade's well-proven "basic" pocket clip. Just the right size, just the right shape...and just the right tension...this clip ensures that the knife will stay clipped to your pocket...without tearing up your pants. The clip is black colored...making the knife much less noticeable in the pocket. Though the paint wears off a bit, I've found it to be pretty durable. The clip is positioned for tip-up carry and is reversible to accommodate both right-handed and left-handed users.

PRIMARY USE: The 527 Axis Small is certainly an EDC knife. At an overall length of 7.12", it's a nice size for EDC...but too small to really work in a defensive role (though, if nothing else was available, I wouldn't hesitate to use the knife to defend myself; it's build quality will take the beating and come back for more).  The knife is super light weight...but yet extremely strong. This combination provides an amazing level of versatility...as the knife can be used to open mail...or for much heavier duty tasks (cutting thick rope, carving wood, cutting carpet and flooring...all kinds of things).  The 440C steel holds an edge very well...much better than anyone would guess. The hollow-ground edge is ideal for almost any basic EDC task. The safety afforded the user via Benchmade's Axis Lock is an invaluable feature. That everything on the knife can be operated with one hand, provides a hallmark example of ergonomic perfection. In fact, I don't know that I've ever used a better EDC knife. I've used knives that were 9-times the price...but didn't work or hold up any better.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Well...as a "user" this knife is quite cool. Aesthetically, it's very...VERY...plain. So...plain. Not that the knife is ugly...because it isn't. And you know what? That very fact is another feature that makes the knife so ideal for EDC; it doesn't stand out and draw attention to it's owner. Yeah...it isn't pretty...but it's effective and feels positively fantastic "in hand".  Want a great user? This is it. Want a looker? Nope...this ain't it. Still, the quality of construction is undeniably impressive...and each time I touch it, I'm reminded that Benchmade knows how to build a superb user knife.

OVERALL TAKE: The 527 Pardue Axis Small...also known as the Mini Presidio Ultra...is an outstanding knife. At roughly $60...it's price makes it a TREMENDOUS VALUE. Quite possibly the best value I've encountered. It is, I think, as good an EDC knife as any I've used. If you haven't tried one of these, quit depriving yourself of an exceptionally affordable and enjoyable piece of steel.

Today, we'll be taking a good look at one of the nicer Benchmade knives ever made...and yet, is it really a Benchmade? Well...yes, it certainly is a Benchmade; Benchmade makes the Alias I and Alias II knives for Bradley Cutlery. Without further adieu...let's get up close and personal with the Alias II (no, the rest of the review won't use a bunch of rhyming sentences!)...

Alias II

* Blade Length: 2.95"
* Blade Thickness: 0.120"
* Blade Material: S30V Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 58-61HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Spear-Point, Single-side thumb-stud
* Weight: 3.00 oz.
* Clip: Reversible Bright Split Arrow Clip
* Lock Mechanism: Frame-Lock
* Overall Length: 6.8"
* Closed Length: 3.87"
* Class: Green and Gray (Bradley Colors)

BLADE: Like it's big brother, the Alias I, the Alias II sports a modified spear-point blade made from .120" thick S30V stainless steel. Benchmade did an excellent job with the blade grind, running a .25" high x 2.5" long top swedge, which moves to a .25" high x 1.875" long plateau down to a flat-ground2.95" long cutting edge. This crisply defined geometry gives the knife's blade a very angular appearance. The blade's flat spot provides real estate for the perfectly executed Bradley Cutlery Co. logo on the face and steel type denotation on the back. The finish on the blade is a cross between Benchmade's "satin" and a VERY mild stonewash.

Over the years, I've heard many of a reviewer criticize spear-point blade shapes. The negatives espoused typically involved "weak tip",  "no belly" and "not good for practical use". Depending upon what I'm doing with a spear-point blade, I can agree with most of those criticisms. That said, the Alias II's blade has a MODIFIED shape that offers the user a lot more "belly" than what we get with most spear-point knives. The shape is "modified" enough that it ends up functioning much like a drop-point blade would. Long-time Benchmade fans should recognize the shape pretty readily as a very similar profile has been used on the Nitrous Stryker model.

The blade's .120" thick steel gives the modified spear-point quite a bit of strength and the tip is "tougher" than I expected it to be. The spine of the knife features a .5" long run of jimping. Unfortunately, the spine lacks any type of thumb ramp...so the effectiveness of the jimping is a bit compromised. "Compromised" doesn't mean that it doesn't work and I'm glad that it exists. Regardless of jimping's arguable detraction from the "clean aesthetics" of a knife, the simple fact of the matter is that knives with jimping really do offer a greater degree of "control" than knives that have...NONE.

The blade is deployed by a single thumb-stud (can be swapped for left-hand use). The shape of the thumb-stud is quite unusual and I've never seen it's like on any other knife. It actually provides exceptional purchase and comfort, making the knife easier to deploy than many other blades. Additionally, the thumb-stud has been anodized a deep blue color. This added touch of "bling" gives the knife some real class that definitely leans towards the semi-custom arena. Since talking about the thumb-stud inherently touches upon "deployment", I might as well mention that the Alias II's blade comes out SUPER FREAKING FAST. How fast is that? Well, I can actually pop the blade out faster than an automatic. Literally, it takes a fraction of a second. Granted, maybe the automatics that I've operated were a little slow...but there is NO denying that the Alias II is one lightning-fast knife. Of course, the phosphor bronze washers in the pivot area certainly help with that kind of action.

HANDLE:The handle material on the Alias II is Titanium. Two 1/8" thick slabs of this material serve as the knife's handle. While the edges of the slabs are pretty "square", they aren't sharp...in fact, they are very comfortable. The handle's shape is superbly-designed and even extended use doesn't result in a high degree of fatigue. The scales are anodized to a bluish-grey that just "pops". The color provides an amazing amount of aesthetic "WOW" and constrasts beautifully with the deep blue thumb-stud and the blade's finish. The handle is an "open" design and deep blue anodized stand-offs separate the scales while providing yet another semi-custom touch of class. The torx screws for the handle are simple satin and work well with the finish of the blade. Near the pivot, Benchmade has located .122" thick blade stop. This may seem like a little thing, but trust me when I say that the thicker the blade stop, the greater the longevity of the knife.

The Alias II features a Frame-Lock. Benchmade did a good job on my version and it locks up at about the 55% mark. Additionally, they milled in some larger jimping that really helps the thumb "grab" the scale when you want to disengage the lock. This feature is recessed into the index finger choil and, at least in my experience, cannot be accidentally disengaged. I will offer up a criticism of how Benchmade handles Frame- Locks; the relief dish is on the inside of the handle scale (you can see this near the butt of the handle in the photo below). Bluntly put, this is THE WRONG SIDE. Plenty of studies have been done proving that Frame-Locks that have the relief dish on the inside fail before frame locks whose relief is on the outside of the handle scale. Compare what I've shown in the photo below to the Frame-Locks of Hinderer, ZT Knives and Strider. Sure, I have Chris Reeve Knives blades that have the relief dish on the inside of the scales...and some Spyderco's as well...and "No." those locks have never failed me. Candidly, I'm not worried about the lock on the Alias II (or my Alias I) failing me. So why'd I criticize this? Part of my obligation in a review is to pass on well-researched information. And that is what I'm doing. Am I an expert on the subject? Well, based upon usage, yes. You want a second opinion? Go ask Rick Hinderer why his knives have the relief dish on the outside of the handle scale. If you don't believe him, you are just suffering a massive case of denial. As long as I'm mentioning Rick, Benchmade would do well to license the Hinderer Lock Stop and integrate it into their knives that have Frame-Locks.

The Alias II features a bright split arrow pocket clip. The clip is mounted for right-hand carry only, though the user can opt for "tip-up" or "tip-down". It's finished the same as the blade...so it does draw some attention when clipped to a pocket. Oddly, on this knife, I prefer to keep the clip mounted "tip-down". Normally, this would seem counter-intuitive since it slows deployment, but I've actually got a couple of good reasons for doing this; A) this is a 3-finger long handle for me...so the clip actually nestles in the hollow of my hand rather than against my middle and ring finger....and B) the blade retention isn't super-good. I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea here...the blade retention isn't "bad", it just isn't as tight as I like it. Since this is the "Benchmade Addicts" forum, most of you will "get it" when I say, "The Alias II's blade retention is a little loose, but nothing like that of the Dejavoo".

PRIMARY USE: The Alias II is designed as an EDC knife. It's blade length of 2.95" makes it very legal in most states...but yet not small enough that it can't get the job done. In fact, one of the coolest things about this knife is that it feels...and ACTS...like a knife that was 1.5" to 2" bigger. The knife is well-made and features premium materials that give it the ability to handle all kinds of tasks that a 6.8" knife normally wouldn't tackle. From opening the mail, removing slivers and peeling an apple to cutting thick rope, cardboard, plastic and some really hard maple wood...the Alias II will do all of that and more. If it had a thumb-ramp, it might be the best EDC knife ever.

Well, what about as a defensive tool? Granted...2.95" is awfully short for that kind of application, but you know what? If all I had on me was my Alias II, I'd go for it in a red-hot second. It's built to take nearly everything that that kind of encounter will require...and the modified spear-point blade shape is a proven performer when it comes to "combat". Yeah, I'm not gonna reach any vital organs with that stubby steel, but I just might peg an artery. Unfortunately, the knife is small enough that it won't scare off an attacker...and really, that's what I'd prefer over actually having to walk-the-talk. I've been down that road before; trust me when I say, "You do NOT want to get into a knife fight...ever." Yeah...I made it out the other side of the encounter, but not without a bunch of "forever" reminders that speak to me on a daily basis. Fortunately for me, the other guy survived the encounter too. All's well that ends well, right? Right.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: For me, the Alias II shown in this review (I actually have two Alias II knives; one has a black blade and G10/Titanium handle) is "the bomb" when it comes to "Second Kind of Cool". Yeah...I borrowed that phrase from YouTuber Nutnfancy. Why? 'Cause it freaking hits the nail on the head. Yeah, Nutnfancy put me on to the Bradley Alias. While I do NOT like it as much as my Chris Reeve Sebenza knives, it's also less than half the price. No, the Alias and Alias II are NOT as refined as the Sebenza; they simply aren't. That said, neither are they "worlds apart". In fact, the materials used are pretty much the same on the Alias and the Sebenza. It's the workmanship and precision that sets the Sebenza on a different level...and that's saying something because Benchmade does a GREAT job with the Alias knives. I love how my Alias II looks, feels and functions. It scores BIG in all categories. And here's something "freaky" for you; it smells better than any knife I have. Huh??? Yeah; it has the Benchmade smell...but super strong. And for me, that's a happy smell. Some addicts sniff airplane glue; this knife addict sniffs Benchmades. Like new car smell (who doesn't like new car smell???), a new Benchmade smells uniquely awesome (way better than a new Sebenza). Oh...one more thing; the blue-grey handle scales on this Alias II are way cooler than the standard grey ones.

OVERALL TAKE: The Bradley Cutlery Alias series of knives deserves a spot in Knife History's "Hall of Fame". It's that good. And when we are talking Benchmade's, it's the creme of the crop (until we go Gold Class; then it's a slightly different story). These knives aren't cheap...nor should they be. For the Alias II, you'll likely shell out somewhere near $160. Go full size and you're looking at $200. In any event, while these are sold under the Bradley Cutlery Company's flag, they are Benchmade through-and-through. And if you don't have one, you are TOTALLY DEPRIVING YOURSELF. Do you hate yourself so much that you'll go on not having an Alias II? You know what? I mentioned that I have two Alias II knives. Wanna see the other one? Here ya go...

Good review Chris.

Nice review Chris. The Alias models are worth their weight and are amazing knives. And the fact that Benchmade makes them is even sweeter...need servicing or LifeSharp? They're fully covered.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service