Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

When I was a young lad dating my future wife, I remember when I used to go to her house for supper her father would use a carbon steel carving knife and fork with beautiful  stag handles! The blade had a very dark patina on it. Many of his kitchen knives were carbon steel too. 

Does anyone have carbon steel kitchen knives?

Tags: carbon, carving, fork, knife, steel

Views: 842

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I use carbon knives in the kitchen pretty much everyday, and yes I use stainless also, and stainless damascus from Japan. The carbon knives are easy to sharpen, and super for busy work, vegges, tomato's, onions that type of  thing. The stainless super for boning, chicken, ribs, and that type of work, meats mostly. The damascus outstanding for detail work paring, fish, so on. That 10" up top I use everyday when I'm done with it I clean it, spray it with a canola oil, and wiper down with a paper towel and I'm good to go.

Well I find it more interesting than ever that I'm finding so many people that are still using carbon steel, or have gone back to carbon steel, or are carbon steel newbies!

I see MANY people on other forums too that are big believers in carbon steel now.

Here's my carbon steel kitchen knive I use every day.

Nice! What is it? What kind of handles?

My kitchen cutlery is primarily Cattaraugus 

the few exceptions are on the left.

The one missing the bolster is what I use for cutting the dog's sausage .. gets nice 'n sharp & holds it's edge .. no makers mark.

Extreme left .. my lil paring knife .. made it out of a Green River Works blank w/ native WI cherry scales

Upper left @ an angle .. my only stainless .. J.A. Henckels five star .. Abby wanted something a bit more ergonomic ..  NOT impressed.

I've yet to find any kitchen cutlery that out-performs these old Catt's .. but .. I'm cheap 'n refuse to spend $ XXX.xx for some of the newer schtuff !!!

'n the worn one to the right of the cleaver .. wonderful fillet & de-boning.

Nice Cattaraugus  Dale!

Thanks .. 'n they wk .. hard !!!

Craig Henry said:

Nice Cattaraugus  Dale!

That's a M.L. custom, hammer forged, 1095 carbon steel with Elk stag scales. Those are nice D ale but I think Craig wanted carbon steel kitchen knives in this discussion. All are welcome though, I'm sure.

Robert .. to the best of my knowledge .. those ole Catt's are all carbon steel .. they rust mighty quick if you don't dry em off after doing the dishes. The J.A. Henckels is the only stainless of the bunch. 

The Catt's have some kind of  chrome plating or polished finish .. but do form a patina when that wears off. The pictured chef's knife has only a couple years use on it @ this point. I just retired another that had seen a bunch of use & both blade shape & patina made that evident. The "newer" one displayed still appears w/ no patina present .. yet. The 2 similar ones in the middle have a bit more use under their belt & their patina reflects that. Catt did a good job w/ what they had .. the finish remains highly polished .. until scratched/worn through.

I prefer carbon steel knives in the kitchen. I've a mix of high carbon (Queen's D2) & stainless (Case's 420J2 .. their "surgical steel") for my edc's. 

Hah, my mistake. I take foot and put in mouth...lol. You are right though, I have heard of some type of finishes on carbon knives.

... no mistakes, Robert .. all for fun & learning around here !!!!

Robert Burris said:

Hah, my mistake. I take foot and put in mouth...lol. You are right though, I have heard of some type of finishes on carbon knives.

Elk scales? Nice!

Robert Burris said:

That's a M.L. custom, hammer forged, 1095 carbon steel with Elk stag scales.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service