Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Welcome to the Elephant Toenail Collector Club (ETCC).

Come on in. Membership is open and free. Here at the ETCC we all share our appreciation for this handful of a knife.
Purpose
The ETCC purpose is to celebrate this wonderful old knife pattern. Toenails collectors range from folks that are crazy about the old ones, like me, up to collectors of modern day productions.

Very Brief Toenail History
Toenails were first made around the turn of the twentieth century as hard-core working knives. Evidently the pattern was a popular knife because dozens of firms began production shortly after that. Interestingly, the knife took on different names as each maker attempted to differentiate their toenails from the others made during that era. Some of the nicknames includes, Vest Pocket Axe, Rope Knife, The Jumbo and many others. Today, they are primarily known as toenails, and elephant toes, elephant toenails and, probably the most popular- Sunfish knives.

In my research and interviews of the Old Timers of our era, all agree ET's are a highly popular pattern. While their reasons differ, each agrees their unique design has immediate appeal.

Collecting Toenails-
The approaches used by toenail collectors range widely also. Some tend to collect based on the era the knife was made in, for example those who are primarily into the timeframe of the Granddaddies of cutlery history productions (Platts, WR Case, Case Brothers, Napanoch, New York Knife Co., Cattaraugus, etc); others limit their collection to a single brand, others still, go after toenails made around a specific geo location of the cutlery company, and then others like particular handle materials. There are even others, but you get the idea.

If you aren't into the history of the knife, that's cool too, cause they are still being made today by many firms, and even custom makers too.

Tags: Elephant, Knives, Toenail

Views: 11181

Replies to This Discussion

Comment by Scott King on July 30, 2010 at 8:49

Finally found a "RoundToIt" and updated my toenail inventory. Now am loading many of my newest ones up in The List at ElephantToenails.com

Here's a couple of those I added. Hope you like them

KELLY HOW THOMPSON- hard to find in any condition

Old Napanoch! Don't you love them handles (scales)!

Camillus Cutlery Co

Comment by Scott King on December 18, 2010 at 8:03

What did you think about the W. R. Case & Son Bradford pearl toenail that sold on eBay yesterday? Very active bidding and sold for a little over $1400.

Snap was not too great but blades pretty full (at least VG+)

Comment by Scott King on August 2, 2010 at 12:19

Here's you a rare one- Honk Falls- founded by the original founders of Napanoch back around 1921.

Comment by Scott King on August 2, 2010 at 12:16

Couple more of my latest to load into The List.

The first is a Standard Knife Co. standard swellcenter made by Robeson on contract. Standard was formed by Elliot and Dean Case leave Case Brothers to form Standard Knife Co., Little Valley, New York in 1901.

The second marked Tom Ray Cutlery Co. of Kansas City, MO It was likely produced between 1905- 1910

Comment by Gary Kennedy on February 14, 2011 at 7:57

Comment by Jan Carter on July 30, 2011 at 7:28

Well here is your chance TODAY.  Great Eastern is raffling off the one of a kind PROTO.  Be sure to call and purchase your 2.00 tickets before 1pm.  The will give Chris an opportunity to get your name on your tickets and make sure they are in the drawing.  Let me hear the phone ring!!

Comment by Jan Carter on July 28, 2011 at 9:08

The show knife

Comment by Jan Carter on November 3, 2012 at 12:28

Hurricane Sandy Auction Starts Today ~ October 30, 2012!

100% of the proceeds from this auction will be donated to the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army, at the winners direction.

It's no secret that the East Coast got hit hard by Hurricane Sandy and the clean up is gonna take a long time.  In a effort to help out, TSA Knives is donating one of the 2011 5th Annivesary #46 Whalers made by Great Eastern Cutlery AND a matching sheath donated by Dave at Knife Leather Traditions for auction.  The Whaler is finished with Ebony Wood handles.  

Here's how it's gonna work.  

To place a bid, simply "respond"  athttp://blog.tsaknives.com/2012/10/30/hurricane-sandy-auction-starts...

.  Bids will be taken until Noon CST, Monday, November 5, 2012.  Like always, don't wait until the last minute to place your bid.  Unlike Ebay, bids don't necessarily show up immediately and you don't want to miss out!!!

Remember, 100% of the proceeds from the auction will be donated to either the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army.  Thanks and good luck!!!

Comment by Jan Carter on January 28, 2012 at 15:02

Just thought I would make sure that anyone following this group had an opportunity to see this

Christmas in January Wounded Warrior Auction Bid HERE!

This 'gem' was in one of the lots of knives acquired recently. It's a very unusual piece from Great Eastern and I doubt there are many of you that have had the opportunity to have even see one, let alone actually own one.  This is your chance to do both.

It starts today.  Bidding, that is, for the GEC "Christmas Wishes" 362209 Sunfish.  If you look closely, you'll see that Santa has a new GEC knife in his hand, ready for some good little boy or girl.   Remember, there were only 16 of these made, all unserialized.  This is a truly classic looking knife that is highly collectible!!

To place a bid, simply click on "Leave a Comment" athttp://blog.tsaknives.com/2012/01/28/christmas-in-january-wounded-w... and post your bid.  The auction will run until NOON CST, Wednesday, February 1.  The profits from the auction go to the Wounded Warrior Project and I encourage all of you to take a minute and visit their website at: Wounded Warrior Project.org to get an understanding of the good deeds they do for our returning injured vets.  

Let's let the bidding begin!!!!!

Comment by Billy Oneale on November 15, 2011 at 21:26

And here is one of the last ones I have bought from Schatt & Morgan.

Comment by Billy Oneale on November 15, 2011 at 21:23

Here is a pic of a Fightin Rooster sun fish that i bought about 6 or 7 mnths ago. It is a La Blue acrylic.

Comment by Scott King on October 28, 2013 at 12:26

Hey guys and gals-

I know we all love our toenails, so thought I'd share this with you. And, yes, Steve is right. I've got 3 kids in college now and another starting next year....so I knew the day would come I'd need to sell my collection. Plus, I'm holding up my end of the bargain with my darling wife, cause when I first bought the A. B. Haines collection, I told her, I was just parking college money in the toenails...ouch!

Here's info on my auction. I'd appreciate it if you'd be kind enough to help me spread the word. The direct link is Auction Catalog

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service