Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Buck's 300 series has touched the hearts of many, it's tainted the memories of many a work day, and even a few fine days a field. There's something about those rugged slipjoints that gets to me, I don't know what exactly it is, but I love 'em. If you have a favorite 300, I would love to see it, or I'd like to just hear about it.

Here are mine.

[IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/Jtwoshoes/P1019363.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/Jtwoshoes/P1019107.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/Jtwoshoes/P1017573.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks

Views: 3013

Replies to This Discussion

It speaks to the true knife collectors Syd.  It will always be more than just a knife, every time you see that knife it will bring you a smile

Picked up a Camillus-made #303 today for a measley $7.50. I have others of this model in my collection, but at that price I'll now have a 3rd, (or 4th), "spare". Love getting a good deal, don't you?

Here's my new "Favorite 300", directly from SMKW's bay store; a #331 Grandaddy Barlow in Black Sawcut Delrin. Made by Camillus for Buck in 1999 for SMKW's catalog. One of the guys on AAPK referred to this as one of the "Holy Grails" of the 300 series. Big, 5" closed pocket knife, check out the side by side with a #110, it definitely qualifies as a big "pocket" knife. It came with all the factory paperwork and factory wrapping, I'm also keeping the SMKW invoice for documentation.. This will eventually be displayed in a wooden display box, for now it sits on top of it's box on my buffet; looks good there.

301 Stockman. I have carried one since around 11 or 12 years old.

Here is my new favorite of the 300 series, a 1994 #314 full size Trapper. Made in the Buck factory. I'm also posting comparison photos with my #311 Slimline Trapper, (Camillus-made, pre '86).

I love the hollow ground blades on this #314, and I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the knife. I've owned more recent slip joints made in the Buck factory, and they don't compare to this knife. It is a superb example of a high quality US-made slip joint knife.

I see quite a few of these with exotic handle materials, and this was obviously a popular model for customizers, but this is the first one I saw available for sale in a "stock" configuration. Though I officially collect Camillus-made 300 series slip joints, I am very pleased to also own this Buck-made jewel.

Happy holidays to all....Christmas came early around here!!

Very nice, Syd.

Thanks Billy. Getting a new, (or old), Buck never gets old, in fact in my case it seems to be an addiction. 

Happy holidays!

Billy Oneale said:

Very nice, Syd.

Two more 300 Series knives arrived today, two early 70's Camillus-made Bucks, a 3 7/8" closed #301 Stockman & a 4 1/4" closed #307 Wrangler. Both farm fresh and uncleaned, as found on the bay. The more significant one to me is the #301, as it is a rarer CC-made version with brass handle pins and the model number stamped on the pile side of the master blade. From the research I've done on the Tofft database of the 300 Series, I've identified this #301 as probably being a late 1971 knife, which is the same year I graduated high school. The lack of a brass spacer dates this to late '71. The #301 & #303 were made this way only between 1971 & 1974. Camillus added the model number to the tang stamp on the front of the master blade, and stopped using handle pins by 1974. Handle pins were also used in earlier Schrade-made versions, but those did not have a model number on them, so that firmly identifies the #301 as CC-made.

Anyway, here they are. I'll include "after" photos of them later after I clean them up.

Close up of the pile side model number and small brass handle pins.

Another indicator used for dating is the use of carbon springs. Camillus was using all SS springs by 1980, so that is another method to approximately date these knives, (notice the patina).

This 1971 #301 is definitely a "keeper" for me, I'll consider it as a belated graduation present to myself.

Thanks for looking, happy holidays!

Congrats on both but I know that 301 is special to you Syd!!  Both are in good shape, cant wait to see them all the way clean!

Thanks Jan. Both knives are wrapped in a rag soaking in WD40 right now. I had to scrape a bunch of dust bunnies out of both of them with a stick before spraying them down. In doing my research I realized  that the other CC-made #301 I already have is also very early, made between 1972-1974, (model number on pile side), but without handle pins. When cleaned up I'll post side by side photos of those two different versions of the same early 70's Stockman(s); stoked to have both. Like I said, the #307 is a duplicate, so it will eventually be sold or gifted. I just couldn't pass up a good deal on that one, I didn't need it for the collection, but sometimes you have to seize an opportunity when it appears, (that's my excuse anyway).

Jan Carter said:

Congrats on both but I know that 301 is special to you Syd!!  Both are in good shape, cant wait to see them all the way clean!

Cleaned up a bit. No grit, blades are sharpened, oiled and snappy. #307 will be gifted, #301 is a keeper.

A comparison of two varieties of the same model #301 Stockman. Both made by Camillus, the 1971 knife with handle pins, the 1972-74 without. I like that the older knife has been used so much the handle is worn smooth, (truly "pocket worn"), and you can see how much it was sharpened by the profile of the blades compared to the less used version next to it. Yet with all that obvious use it is still in fine working condition. This knife has earned my respect.

New "favorites" to show today. A pre 1972 2 5/8" closed Buck #305 Lancer, and a 3 1/2" closed 1996 #312 Mini Trapper. The #305 was one of the very first models made by Camillus, and one of the few remaining with handle pins, which were eliminated in 1972, (see photo with a '72--'86 version). The #312 was made in-house by Buck, has hollow ground blades, and due to the fact that this model was favored by customizers this is a rare(ish) "stock" version. I'm including a family photo of all the models of the Trapper family that Buck ever produced, #311 Slimline Trapper by Camillus, #312 Mini Trapper and the full size #314 Trapper by Buck.

Below, Buck Trapper family photo, top to bottom; #312, #314, #311.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service