Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Suggested readin' - CARVING PEACH PITS by R.V. Dietrich.

We've also agreed to host the "Whittling and Woodcarving" group here also.  Discussions from June 20th-June 29th are from that group.

Views: 3295

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen two different ways to make a carving knife:

1. From straight razor blade

2. From scraper blades

3. And my remaking

Maybe some one know other type of carving knife making?  

Delete
Very well done, Ivars.  More or less the way I do my lock-back mods.  
Delete
Good article Ivar.  Useful and easy to follow.  Thanks for the pictures, they make it easy to follow your instructions.  GREAT idea!!  
Delete

Hello Ivars! I like the way you made your carving knife. I have also been working on one, using basically the same methods you have written about in your article. Here you can see the basic steps I took. I found an old kitchen knife I had in my work desk for a few years. I placed the knife in a vise and broke off the unwanted part. Then I drew the actual shape that I wanted for my carving knife onto the blade and using my grinder took off all unecessary metal. BEWARE- Do not over heat the blade during this procedure! Once you have the shape you want, all that must be done is to sharpen and polish the blade. I will keep the handle and see if it is usable.  I tried up loading a few photos, but its not working as I wish it would, so you can have a look at my page where I will place the pictures.  

Delete

Looking good Jakub.

Be sure to add a pic of the finished knife.  The outline in this photo looks real good.

Can't wait to see the finished piece.  

Here is my newest: Wharncliff quick jack :D

Churchill up sweep (6" handle)

Unneeded piece of blade: two holes, two pins, one piece of wood and a little super glue!

Any way if we have any kind of broken knife blade, we can give a second life like a carving knife! :D

Here is my "micro bushman" maked out of broken blade too! More info on my groupKNIFE MAKING BEGINNERS!

Jakub Capek said:

Hello Ivars! I like the way you made your carving knife. I have also been working on one, using basically the same methods you have written about in your article. Here you can see the basic steps I took. I found an old kitchen knife I had in my work desk for a few years. I placed the knife in a vise and broke off the unwanted part. Then I drew the actual shape that I wanted for my carving knife onto the blade and using my grinder took off all unecessary metal. BEWARE- Do not over heat the blade during this procedure! Once you have the shape you want, all that must be done is to sharpen and polish the blade. I will keep the handle and see if it is usable.  I tried up loading a few photos, but its not working as I wish it would, so you can have a look at my page where I will place the pictures.  

Ivars, glad that you used the blade end to make another knife.  When ever I can, I use the ends of my mods to make simple craft knives.

Craft knives 2

Delete
Your lock backs are good! I was thinking to regrind some too, but I just can't find the best back lock for modification in my country stores.

J.J. Smith III said:
Very well done, Ivars.  More or less the way I do my lock-back mods.  
Delete

Finished a modification to an Opinel #7 knife.  Costs more than Ivars' $5.00 mod, but I'm well pleased with the result.  Used a CASE Seahorse as the blade pattern.

Delete

J.J. looks really great! I was thinking about Opinel modification but for this modification I need some tools what I don't have today and they are pretty expensive for me. Now Iam making a fixed blade carving knives with slojd blades, wharcliff blades are good, but I found that slojd is much better! I mean my Revolver Jack only now Iam making blade out of specific saw blades. A little dificult to cut them, but when its done and knife finisht - knife is great! 

J.J. Smith III said:

Finished a modification to an Opinel #7 knife.  Costs more than Ivars' $5.00 mod, but I'm well pleased with the result.  Used a CASE Seahorse as the blade pattern.

Delete

Ivars,
I just used a dremal tool with a diamond cut-off wheel. Sanding drum to shape. Polished the spine with regular diamond stones.

We're back from the Carving Show.  My SD card malfunctioned , so no pics from the show itself. 

Visited the Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers display, and Mac had indeed brought along one of the Whittlin Jacks.

It's not a pretty knife, but it is a functional one.   The  carbon steel blades came properly ground, and were very sharp, strait from Flexcut.  The 4"aluminum handle is on the large side and have some sort of wood, as inserts.  It definately won't win in the looks department.  Springs are strong  but there is a lack of "walk and talk" here.  The blades need to be pusged down into the handle once they're closed, and when closed they sit down deep into the frame.  Nail nicks are minimal at best.

All that being said, I was on the fence about dropping down the cash for it,  but I did.  It is after all a carving tool.

Specs are;

Length closed 4", 7/16" wide  and weighs in at 3.5 oz.

Main blade, carbon steel "roughout" blade (Wharncliffe shaped),  2" long, (non locking).

Secondary blade, Carbon steel, "Detail" blade, 1 3/8" long,  (non locking).

Aluminum handle with "Wood" inserts.  Brass pins and liner.

There's an accurate  review on the Bushcraft Forum and I agree with pretty much what was said there.

I've added some stock photos and a copy of the package inserts, below.

(Oh,  BTW,  while we were there, I managed to snag me some more needle files, an ex-fine diamond card and a thumb protector.  The Mrs, snagged a Mac Proffett "HillBilly" hat and a carved golf ball for inspiration for me.  T'wer a good day.)  

Glad you got a new thumb protector.  JJ, Let us know how this knife works out.  It is interesting that the walk and talk are not there as they should be for a knife.  Being a whittling tool maybe they did not feel it as necessary   

These blades are carving sharp.  The springs are strong.

I figure that they were concerned with the blades snapping shut on a finger.  There was talk on the carving forum about the Carving Jack causing seriuos cuts.

WOODBEECARVER.COM

OTIS AND SLOPPY JOE

Otis and Sloppy Joe are not only carving studies but also studies in character as they represent the contrast of personalities.  Much like the “Odd Couple” characters of movie and television fame, Otis is the neat one while Sloppy Joe is the less refined. Joe chomps down on the stub of his cigar, has [...]

STUDY CARVINGS

The WOOD BEE CARVER  carves continuously in the journey of woodcarving to continue to learn and sharpen the craft of carving various subjects.  Each carving project is in essence a “Study Carving” whereby lessons are learned through the innovations of designs and the stretching of ability through challenging innovations.  Such carving projects become the subject [...]

SURVIVOR STUDENTS – Alabama Style IV

Charles and Doris Leverett  hosted a fourth – three day carving seminar on June 8, 9 and 10, 2012 in their Northeast Alabama carving studio.  Eight Students survived the rigors of Whittle-Carving using only a knife to make the necessary slicing cuts to shape a block of wood.  Pictured is the photo are Bob [...]

Comment by Robert Burris on April 16, 2011 at 20:49

I was asked to write a review for a seahorse whittler so I'll give it my best try. I have never owned a seahorse whittler or any wharncliffe blade in my life. I always bought blades relating to outdoor activities.

The case seahorse whittler that I purchased came with stag scales, not the quality of the 60s and 70s, but still very nice stag. The knife came with razor sharp blades, they're thin and adapted to precision cutting.

The knife arrived just in time for a planned camping and fishing trip with my two grandaughters, alot of my good friends and their children. So I figured I'd give this new knife a try on this trip.

On a camping trip like this, there is need for a small pocket knife; opening packages, food preparation, cutting fish lines and so forth. The knife passed all the tests and everyone that saw it fell in love with it.

It's only drawback was when it was time to clean fish. It's not very well suited for this task. I cleaned a few with it so it will get you out a bind if it's the only knife you have with you.

I make walking staffs for fun and as gifts for friends and family. I'm starting to make more and may start selling them and I thought it would be a good idea to carve something into them, like a face or different designs and patterns. It has worked great so far. It carves like a dream. I would encourage anyone wanting to try a new knife pattern to give this one a try. You will be very glad you did!

Comment by Robert Burris on April 7, 2011 at 18:29

Here's a picture of my new little friend. I'm going camping this weekend with my granddaughters and I'll be putting it to the test. I'll let you guys know how it fairs.

Comment by J.J. Smith III on May 5, 2011 at 9:51

Bout missed this one.  Locking Wharnie.  Great work, Ken.

Comment by Ken Erickson on April 29, 2011 at 8:44

And here is a matching pair of whittlers, one in ivory and one in bone. These are like the Case  #80 pattern.

Comment by Robert Burris on March 7, 2012 at 16:57

Ivars, this is some of the knives, not all, I'll let you know when I get them all together.

Comment by Robert Burris on December 11, 2011 at 15:39

I just missed a great Fight'n Rooster whittler on Ebay...so sad.  

Comment by Ivars Duntavs on December 7, 2011 at 22:09
My favorite whittler is a Jumbo/sunfish whittler its a pretty large knife, some patters looks like a sunfish but with 3 blades and some looks like regular whittler with clip blade and two detail blades. I can't place pic's in because I'm writing on cell phone, but you can search them on google!  
Comment by Robert Burris on December 7, 2011 at 18:52

The more whittler patterns I see, the more I want to collect them.  

Comment by Robert Burris on December 7, 2011 at 12:47

I mean those that have whittler as part of their name.  

Comment by J.J. Smith III on December 7, 2011 at 10:21

The only problem with this is that a whittler needs to only have two major distinctions,  1 - the main blade is at opposite ends with the secondary blades, and 2 - the main blade falls in between the secondaries when closed.

The big task is to try to find all different blade variations, frame styles and backspring configurations.  

Comment by Robert Burris on December 7, 2011 at 10:08

Ivan, anyone that knows of some of the patterns can list them. I recently learned of the Ballroom Whittler. A favorite of mine that is seldom seen is the Cotton Sampler Whittler.  

Comment by Ivars Duntavs on December 7, 2011 at 9:49

Robert you want to know all whittler patters??? It could be difficult! Need to sum all patterns who was made many years ago! Dale could be knowleged in whittler patterns, because I think he knows everything about whittlers!  

Comment by Robert Burris on November 27, 2011 at 16:08

Someone in this group that is knowledgable in the whittler pattern could list all the different whittler patterns might get some fire going in this group.  

Comment by Ivars Duntavs on October 12, 2011 at 2:52

Kens knives are great, but not for my pocket :D

Hey am I in the right room? I am entered in the Pumpkin Carvin Contest, and I need to get some tips?

It's all good, Steve.

Check out Extreme Pumpkins.com, for some ideas.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service