Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Got a good recipe? 

Add it to the book...

Views: 1219

Replies to This Discussion

Simple Redneck snackfood...

Pickeled eggs.

After you finish a jar of Kosher Dill Pickles, keep the liquid and add as many boiled and pealed eggs as the jar can hold. 

Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks. 

Way better than store bought. 

Enjoy.

Redneck Snackfood II

Boiled peanuts.

This time of year there are folks with stands set up throughout the area, selling boiled peanuts.

But it's a good site cheaper to make your own. 

We've got some on the stove right now.

Here's a recipe from the web that explains the process...

Raw or "green" peanuts are generally used for boiled peanuts. A green peanut is a term to describe farm fresh harvested peanuts that have not been dehydrated. They are available from grocery stores, food distributors and farmers markets, during the growing season. Raw peanuts are dehydrated/dry peanuts. They are uncooked and ready to be boiled after being re-hydrated. Roasted peanuts have already been cooked and should not be boiled.

Raw peanuts in the shell are put in a large pot of very heavily salted water and boiled. This can be done inside on the stove or outside on a propane burner for a larger volume.  The boil can go on from four to seven hours or more, depending on quantity and the age of the peanut (green peanuts cook faster and tend to be better tasting), and the boilings will most often be of several gallons of water.  An alternative method for dried raw mature peanuts is to rehydrate them by soaking overnight in water, after which they can be cooked in the conventional manner.

The resulting food is a very soft peanut in the shell, invariably quite salty. The softened peanuts are easy to open. Often small, immature peanuts (called "pops") are included, which have even softer shells and can be eaten in entirety. These tend to absorb more salt than the larger ones. Some aficionados of the food prefer them cooked for a shorter period of time so that the nut is not quite so soft.

Uneaten peanuts should be stored in a refrigerator.

This will be a reciepe of one of my old aunts, not mine, I am posting it to hurry and get a good, measured recipe on here. This is a good way to cook this, just a little different than mine. I need to measure my ingredients before I post my reciepe. I just don't measure, when I cook. Sorry.

"Cajun Courtbouillon..Catfish or Alligator" [Fillet or deboned]

1/4 onion, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
1/4 stalk of celery, chopped
1/2 tablespoon of roux
1 quart of water
2 (8-ounce) cans of tomato sauce
1 (6-ounce) can of tomato paste
1/2 (10-ounce) can of tomatoes with green chilies
Creole seasoning, to taste
4 pounds of catfish fillets or other white-fleshed fish

1. Combine all ingredients except fish in a pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; season to taste, bring to a boil and cook one hour.

2. Add catfish to sauce and cook about 45 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

NOTE: Never stir Catfish Courtbouillon. In order to keep the mixture from sticking, shake the pot. Serves 8.

Sometimes, only serves 4 hungry Cajuns....lol

These are a favorite travel food for me.  Put some in a coffee mug and they are the perfect food to be nibbled while cruising the countryside

J.J. Smith III said:

Redneck Snackfood II

Boiled peanuts.

This time of year there are folks with stands set up throughout the area, selling boiled peanuts.

But it's a good site cheaper to make your own. 

We've got some on the stove right now.

Here's a recipe from the web that explains the process...

Raw or "green" peanuts are generally used for boiled peanuts. A green peanut is a term to describe farm fresh harvested peanuts that have not been dehydrated. They are available from grocery stores, food distributors and farmers markets, during the growing season. Raw peanuts are dehydrated/dry peanuts. They are uncooked and ready to be boiled after being re-hydrated. Roasted peanuts have already been cooked and should not be boiled.

Raw peanuts in the shell are put in a large pot of very heavily salted water and boiled. This can be done inside on the stove or outside on a propane burner for a larger volume.  The boil can go on from four to seven hours or more, depending on quantity and the age of the peanut (green peanuts cook faster and tend to be better tasting), and the boilings will most often be of several gallons of water.  An alternative method for dried raw mature peanuts is to rehydrate them by soaking overnight in water, after which they can be cooked in the conventional manner.

The resulting food is a very soft peanut in the shell, invariably quite salty. The softened peanuts are easy to open. Often small, immature peanuts (called "pops") are included, which have even softer shells and can be eaten in entirety. These tend to absorb more salt than the larger ones. Some aficionados of the food prefer them cooked for a shorter period of time so that the nut is not quite so soft.

Uneaten peanuts should be stored in a refrigerator.

Dolphin Tacos

1 pound mahi-mahi
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoons chili powder
1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
8 flour tortillas

Fish:

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place fish in a medium size dish. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, ancho, jalapeno, and cilantro and pour over the fish. Let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove the fish from the marinade place onto a hot grill, flesh side down. Grill the fish for 4 minutes on the first side and then flip for 30 seconds and remove. Let rest for 5 minutes then flake the fish with a fork.

Place the tortillas on the grill and grill for 20 seconds. Divide the fish among the tortillas and garnish with any or all of the garnishes.

Salsa:

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 Jalapeño chile, minced (include ribs and seeds for a hotter taste if desired)
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the salsa ends up being a little too hot or acidic for your taste, you can temper it by adding some diced avocado.

You bet Ron, we cook it with Crawfish, Shirmp, Frogs, all different types of fish, heck you can cook it with deboned chicken, if you want. I tell people all the time, cook it like you, like it...lol I'm gonna try to show ya'll some simple ways to cook some great reciepes, later on. What I plan on is give ya'll the full blown reciepe, then a much simpler and less costly way to do a great variation of the same dish.

I'll bet her recipe origionally started out with "Trinity & roux".  LOL

(Looks good.)

Robert Burris said:

This will be a reciepe of one of my old aunts, not mine, I am posting it to hurry and get a good, measured recipe on here. This is a good way to cook this, just a little different than mine. I need to measure my ingredients before I post my reciepe. I just don't measure, when I cook. Sorry.

"Cajun Courtbouillon..Catfish or Alligator" [Fillet or deboned]

1/4 onion, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
1/4 stalk of celery, chopped
1/2 tablespoon of roux
1 quart of water
2 (8-ounce) cans of tomato sauce
1 (6-ounce) can of tomato paste
1/2 (10-ounce) can of tomatoes with green chilies
Creole seasoning, to taste
4 pounds of catfish fillets or other white-fleshed fish

1. Combine all ingredients except fish in a pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; season to taste, bring to a boil and cook one hour.

2. Add catfish to sauce and cook about 45 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

NOTE: Never stir Catfish Courtbouillon. In order to keep the mixture from sticking, shake the pot. Serves 8.

Sometimes, only serves 4 hungry Cajuns....lol

Shrimp salad

5 pounds baby red potatoes 
1/4 cup dry shrimp-and-crab boil seasoning (for boiling potatoes)

12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped $
1 cup finely chopped green onions

1 cup finely chopped red,green and yellow peppers
Creole seasoning, salt and white pepper to taste

Mayo and Dijon Mustard to taste
1 pound peeled, medium-size cooked shrimp (51/60 count)

Make it like you would a potato salad and add shrimp.  Great meal on hot days.  I serve it with Tomato slices and a side of whatever fruit is in season

Hey, that sounds great, gonna have to try that.

Anyone out there ever tried wickles?

Ingredients

4 cups fresh, sliced, strawberries,
2 cups Sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice {I used bottled}
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

Directions

Bring a boiling-water canner, 3/4 full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

Crush strawberries, and measure 4 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-qt. sauce pot.

Combined the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice and bring to a full rolling boil, reduce heat, and stir in basil and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. {Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.} Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.}

Watermelon Keg

Materials

1 medium-large oval or oblong watermelon (seeded or seedless)
Kitchen knife
Cutting board
Green dry erase marker or ¾”-1” thick painter’s trim tape
Channel knife (can use top of a vegetable peeler as alternative)
Large bowl & spoon or scoop
Apple corer
Spigot (from beer making supply company)
Twine & straight pins
Watermelon juice or punch recipe

Watermelon Keg

Instructions

1. Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
  2. On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4”-1/2” from both ends, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. One side will provide a sturdy base.
  3. Use dry erase marker or painters tape to make a thick band on the upper 1/3 and lower third of the watermelon that will represent the metal bands around a barrel or keg and use the channel knife to trim away a thin line to represent those metal bands.
  4. Hollow out the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving the watermelon pieces to make your favorite punch or juice. Be sure to leave about 2” of watermelon flesh towards the bottom of the watermelon so the spigot can be placed.
  5. Use an apple corer to cut a circle for your spigot to fit through the watermelon rind, placing it about 2-3 inches above the bottom of the watermelon. Screw your spigot into place.
  6. For added detail, carefully pin twine in your lines you’ve made to represent the metal bands around the barrel/keg. Be careful that the pins do not poke through into the barrel/keg.
  7. Place the barrel/keg on a saucer or plate and fill with your favorite chilled punch or juice recipe.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service