Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Many of us have dreamt of  "improving"  our knives.

Some have even implemented their improvements.

Here is a place to share and document those modifications.

Before & after pics are great .. I realize this isn't always possible .. I did some of mine years ago. A statement of design goals or modification purpose is a good place to start.

Identifying the desired changes & modifications is encouraged. As is a description of

the tools, any problems encountered, & methods used in the process.

A summary statement & pic of the final result will wrap it up !! 

Also .. a place to share our mistakes.

Share what works & what doesn't.

Conquered a problem .. post a solution.

Up against a problem .. query for another's advice.

Views: 8320

Replies to This Discussion

Attached are several pictures which show the before and after repair work to the bolster of my Fletcher Hardware (1863 - 1913 - Detroit, MI) Stag Pruner last year by Kaleb Reynolds (Muskratman). The repair work included replacing the bolster pin, realigning pruner blade so that it could close easily, and eliminating all blade wobble. The work was fast, clean, and barely noticeable. All the best, BILL (First two shots are the before view.) ........ :-)

Fletcher's Hardware Stag Pruner before repair by http://www.muskratmancustomknives.com/index.html

Have had Kaleb modify a few for us.  That man does great work and this is another good example
I certainly agree,  Jan.  I will post a couple of more of his minor miracles in the future.  All the best. 

Jan Carter said:
Have had Kaleb modify a few for us.  That man does great work and this is another good example

Bill Fletcher .. thanks for the posts .. sharing of info is what it's all about !!!!!

I have a solid black, Benchmade Nimravus that I have had for 3 separate deployments now and was wanting  to up date the look with some purple heart wood that I currently have access to.  Any insight or tips on working with this type of wood for handle material? I am open to suggestions.

Johnathan,

Thank you for serving.

After you take off the original scales you can trace them onto the wood, this way you know both sides will be the same. You should be careful working with exotic wood, allergic reactions to Purpleheart dust can include skin irritation and/or nausea. Of course, as when working with any wood, adequate ventilation, as well as skin, eye, and breathing protection, are paramount. More info on Purple heart wood here: http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/about_purpleheart.htm

This is one of my latest "personalized" knives. 

Picked up another RR Whittlin Buddy, for the bag in the truck. 

Smoothed out the handle scales and rounded the edges, took the hard edges off the bolsters and slightly "warnitized" the sheeps foot.  (After I took the pic I filed several "jimps" into the back of the modified blade to help with id.)

Super comfortable to hold, now.

Guess that's why CASE charges ?10.00 or more fore their Pocket Worn series.

I like it!  Those peach pits are ready to reveal at the touch of this one.  Best regards

Thanks Bill.  Just waiting for the porch to dry out some.

Very nice job, J.J.!

J.J. Smith III said:

This is one of my latest "personalized" knives. 

Picked up another RR Whittlin Buddy, for the bag in the truck. 

Smoothed out the handle scales and rounded the edges, took the hard edges off the bolsters and slightly "warnitized" the sheeps foot.  (After I took the pic I filed several "jimps" into the back of the modified blade to help with id.)

Super comfortable to hold, now.

Guess that's why CASE charges ?10.00 or more fore their Pocket Worn series.

I've gotten into the habit of making my carry knives more comfortable by smoothing out any rough edges. Anyone else take time to do this, or do they just hit the pocket?

I'm with you, J.J.  One of my major complaints about the knives I can afford is that so many of them have uncomfortable handles.  On those knives, I usually round out and smooth the square and/or rough edges.  In a couple of cases, I've smoothed the liner lock gimping when it was too sharp.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service