Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

The muskrat knife was originally designed for skinning small animals. When one blade got dull, there was another one ready and waiting. The majority of muskrats have two identical clip blades and are built on a medium stockman frame. It's been said that the muskrat lends itself to faster sharpening because of the lack of upsweep on the blade. Case produced their first muskrat prior to 1940. 

The muskrat pattern has long been one of my favorites. I mainly collect Schrade knives and would like to see what other manufacturers are building.  Post your pictures.

Views: 1490

Replies to This Discussion

Syd,

You give me way too much credit. I watched a video on AAPK that showed how to repin a Schrade if the blades became loose. I’m fairly handy with tools, but when I watched that guy brad the center pin with a ball peen, I had to wonder how many handles a guy would have to ruin to before becoming competent at it. I wear bifocals and sure wouldn’t claim to have the steady hands I once had. When people say you should treat your body as a temple, I have to laugh. 12 years in the Navy and another 25 on the road working as an electrician, well, I didn’t treat my body like a temple, more like it was an amusement park. Herman Williams, Schrades in-house customizer for 24 years, is a very good friend of mine. When I see a Schrade with a broken handle or a re-tipped blade selling cheap, I immediately  start thinking about what Herman could do with it. His talent has enabled me to put together a very unique collection, although sometimes when I look at how many of his knives I have, I wonder if I might not be putting his grandson through college.  When I say I’m single, I mean I’ve never married or had children. After numerous failed relationships I came to the conclusion that I am either the very worst judge of a woman’s character or I have the innate ability to drive a woman crazier than a “s**t house rat” inside of 6 months. That mental awakening lead me to consider that some of those failed relationships might just possibly have been my fault. When I was in my early 50’s I was injured in a jobsite accident. L&I  sent me to school to be retrained but my earlier carefree ways started taking their toll. After being diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis, gout, COPD, injured liver and kidneys, the powers that be decided that I should just be retired. Now I am a confirmed bachelor, collect knives, put them wherever I want, and am trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am. A note to all you younger folks. Work hard and pay your takes. I’m depending on you…so I can keep collecting my Social Security and buying knives. All this writing has tired me out now so I think I'll have a cigarette and a shot of whiskey before I get back to sanding that muskrat blade.

Here is an example of what Hermans talent has let me add to my collection.

Syd,

If you ever want to have a couple of your Schrade parts knives and some of that wood put together into one great knife, get ahold of me...I can put you in touch with the Master, Herman Williams. He just finished that big clasp knife for me at the young age of 78.

Doug,

I love to read your discussions!  You only live once eat the cake, sleep in and enjoy life!  Thats where being a knife collector comes in LOL

Thanks Doug. We have more in common than I thought. I too worked as an electrician, and suffered a serious on-the-job injury while doing it. Two surgeries later, (lumbar fusions), I too went through "retraining", eventually got a job as an industrial purchasing agent, then two years later had yet another serious OTJ injury there requiring another couple of surgeries, (cervical fusions). I am now surviving on various SS benefits too, dealing with a beat up body, with nothing left but a bunch of pocket knives, (and a few fixed blades). However, through it all I was fortunate enough to end up with one awesome child, a daughter, who presented me with a wondrous grandson, so none of what happened to me in my earlier "other" life matters to me anymore. I am truly blessed and would NOT change a thing.

Doug, you have one of the finest collections of Schrade knives I have ever seen, (or ever hope to see), I encourage you to see to it that it will be preserved, it is a VERY special historical asset, (I'm available for adoption and inclusion in your will if you are so inclined, lol). Like you mentioned about Herman, my knives will end up going to my grandson. I hope he appreciates them as I hope my grandson will (should) appreciate what he gets from me. His boy will be getting THE Holy Grail of all knife collections though. Mine will just get a bunch of old knives, but knives that I handled, used; and respected, I hope that means something to him, it does to me.

I had two Schrade-made Buck 303's I considered having Herman work on, but I decided to sell them "as is" to reinvest in other knives. I do, however, have one other complete SC-made Buck #303, (complete meaning the blades have not been reshaped and the handles have no cracks), that could use a revamp by Herman to secure a wiggling master blade. My other Schrades are in decent shape so I don't need his services on those.

Doug Webber said:

Syd,

If you ever want to have a couple of your Schrade parts knives and some of that wood put together into one great knife, get ahold of me...I can put you in touch with the Master, Herman Williams. He just finished that big clasp knife for me at the young age of 78.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service