Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am new to forums & doing things on the internet.Hopefully you will all bear with me until I get over making the mistakes that everyone makes when doing something new.

I am really new to knife collecting, however I have just put a list of the knives in my possession & I have 75 knives. I want to start sorting out what is collectible & what isn't, what I should be doing & what I shouldn't be doing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you should be doing:  Buying what you like and enjoying it :)

what you should not be doing: Buying the latest trend if you don't like it LOL

Good to have you here with us Glenn.  I am so happy you have chosen iKC to get used to sharing your sharp enthusiasm!  If you have any problems getting around or posting anything let us know.  There is most always someone in the chatroom and there is an email system between members.  The links I sent in your welcome may help also.  We are not all computer saavy, but we are all knife nuts!

Glenn, our motto here is collect what you like and like what you collect.  No one is looked down on here because of what you do or don't collect.  I agree with Jan on not buying the latest trend or fad unless it is something you like and would buy anyway.

Different people have different collecting styles.  Some collect a certain brand or brands of knives.  Others collect knife patterns.  Some collect only US made knives.

My own collecting style is an example.  I collect three brands, Case,Colonial,and Rough Rider.  I also collect two patterns, Case Mini Blackhorns and fish knives.  Of course the Mini Blackhorns are a subset of Case. A third style that I collect is Christian themed knives.

I would suggest taking the knives you have and classifying them in different ways such as brand and pattern or any other common attribute among them.  Then you will have a better idea what appeals to you.

After I found and joined iKC, I discovered that I was more of a knife accumulator than a collector.  There was no rhyme or reason to the knives I had.  I first started focusing on Case.  They are a good knife and not terribly expensive and I like them.  Later I added Rough Rider.  They are a Chinese knife but a very good knife for the money.  I can buy three or four of them for what a comparable Case costs.  They are a SMKW house brand.  And lately I have added Colonial.

But the most important thing is collect what you like, not what someone tells you you should collect.

Hi Glenn,

Here is a link from my homepage that has some information on knife collecting, http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/. There are many more on my homepage that you can browse from your PC. I recommend learning the history of your knives, The names of the patterns, blade styles, types of steel etc..  You might want to buy some cases or knife rolls to put them in, also take some pics to post on this website for the members to admire and comment on. 

Welcome to IKC Glenn. Here is a link to a useful website on the subject, "A Pocket Guide To Knives" by our own Tobias Gibson, I refer to it all the time. Just collect what tickles your fancy, and expect to change directions in what you collect as you go. My family is convinced I'll eventually get around to collecting EVERYTHING, so do like I do, ignore them and just keep feeding that "fancy", whatever it might be that day. A good knife is a good knife, so if you do change collecting directions you can always sell what you've lost interest in to finance the new "must have" item, (and believe me, you will find must haves, it's inevitable), just make sure to buy quality; in general quality will hold or increase in value. If in doubt just ask, we love giving opinions about knives around here.

Indeed .. collect what appeals to you.

Save EVERYTHING that you acquire w/ ea knife .. documentation goes a long way in the end.

Do NOT store knives in leather sheaths .. tends toward moisture build up & bad results.

If in doubt .. ask. We've a quite friendly community here & you'll receive no negative critique.

Enjoy

D ale

Hi Syd,

I understand what you mean by changing directions. For quite a while I had been picking up Remington knives. It didn't matter what style as long as it was a Remington. I have been carrying a Case peanut in my watch pocket for almost 20 years and after thinking about that peanut I decided to start with collecting Case knives, specifically the yellow handled knives . I have 4 yellow handled knives at this time. Then just the other day I saw the antique bone Tribal Lock, so I picked a new one up. At this time I have 12 Case knives dating from the 70's to current production. I think that I need to focus better on what I started with the yellow handled knives :-) I can see that knife collecting becomes a matter of self discipline. 

Syd Carr said:

Welcome to IKC Glenn. Here is a link to a useful website on the subject, "A Pocket Guide To Knives" by our own Tobias Gibson, I refer to it all the time. Just collect what tickles your fancy, and expect to change directions in what you collect as you go. My family is convinced I'll eventually get around to collecting EVERYTHING, so do like I do, ignore them and just keep feeding that "fancy", whatever it might be that day. A good knife is a good knife, so if you do change collecting directions you can always sell what you've lost interest in to finance the new "must have" item, (and believe me, you will find must haves, it's inevitable), just make sure to buy quality; in general quality will hold or increase in value. If in doubt just ask, we love giving opinions about knives around here.

LOL!  Who told the new guy we had discipline?

Just joking Glenn!  At some point in all our collecting we have had to choose to use some discipline but OMG it is so much more fun without it!

Hmm, I see now. It seems you're already addicted and spending frivolously.......but that's actually a good sign, it means you are truly becoming a knife collector!

I always had a good US knife in my pocket because I was a working man, but I wouldn't consider myself a collector then, the "collecting" began when I sought to obtain one of each model of a particular series of knives, (Camillus-made Buck 300 Series), so getting into yellow Case knives is one way to go. You say you have a Case Peanut in your pocket? How about going after every different handle option ever offered by Case on a Peanut? That would be cool to have one of each, and it would surely keep you busy looking for them for quite awhile.

Glenn McConnell said:

Hi Syd,

I understand what you mean by changing directions. For quite a while I had been picking up Remington knives. It didn't matter what style as long as it was a Remington. I have been carrying a Case peanut in my watch pocket for almost 20 years and after thinking about that peanut I decided to start with collecting Case knives, specifically the yellow handled knives . I have 4 yellow handled knives at this time. Then just the other day I saw the antique bone Tribal Lock, so I picked a new one up. At this time I have 12 Case knives dating from the 70's to current production. I think that I need to focus better on what I started with the yellow handled knives :-) I can see that knife collecting becomes a matter of self discipline. 

Buy what you like, and don't let others tell you any different! LOL. There are Steel Snobs that will tell you anything other than their preferred type of steel is garbage. There are the Brand Snobs that refuse to hear that any brand other than their favourite is any good. Style Snobs that think only traditional or modern styles are worth buying. Stay true to your own preferences. I have a very eclectic collection that has little rhyme or reason other than "Oooo...I like that, and I have some money!" I have art knives, US made knives, China made, Taiwan, German...whatever grabs my fancy.

Keep an open mind. Do your research. Ask questions. Stop by stores and fondle different knives to see how they fit and feel in your hand. Check into various brands to see what they have to offer. Try to stay current on new steels. All this will help you build something you like, enjoy and can be proud of! Good luck!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service