Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Orange Craftsman switchblade knife, made in 1951 by Schrade Walden.

Hello, my name is Shannon and I am desperately seeking the value of this knife I have. I can't seem to find anything on the Internet about it except this website. I have looked over the site and can't find anything about how much it is worth. Please somebody help. I am adding pictures of the knife.

Views: 3379

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure about value, maybe someone else has an idea, but here is the old ad I linked you to so others may see it too

Shannon,

Well you put up some good pics so lets give they folks here a chance to help.  They are all really good at chipping in to help

Craftsman knives were manufactured by Camillus  and Schrade Ulster for them. On the collector scale according to The Official Price Guide to Collector Knives, 15th Edition, they are given 1 star toward collect-ability out of a possible 4.  

I can't find an exact match so in just doing a general search on eBay for Craftsman Knife turned up this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Craftsman+switchblade+knife%2C...

here is a Schrade Walden Automatic, again not yours but a push button knife:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schrade-Walden-Spring-Assisted-Knif...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info, although I have already found those and I'm at a loss for ideas. I'll keep refining my searches.

Post a pic of it here .. if it has value ..  Alex K. will query if it's for sale.

Thanks, I posted a pic and found a couple of other sites to investigate...

D ale said:

Post a pic of it here .. if it has value ..  Alex K. will query if it's for sale.

Hi Jan

I have a Craftsman pretty close to yours but a different etching on the blade.

Your knife looks to be in real god shape. The etching is nice and clear, doesn't look used or overly worked.

Assuming the action is still god and the spring works well, that the blade doesn't hang up upon opening and sits securely when closed with very little movement.

Looks like the fingerguard places well when the blade opens and doesn't move around.

The handle looks in good shape but I can't figure out the material.  Bone or plastic?

IF it sounds like yours is in that level of condition,  near mint, I would pay $400-450

Most switches are in VG to near mint because people put them away when production stopped. This one looks like may never have ben sold retail and then the law changed. I have a few of those.

I recently bought a similar knife in Good to Very God and paid $325

Yours is not particularly rare except the condition of the blade etching. Of course the etching wears on most.

I can't see the tang stamp is it Press Button or Presto? I think both are Schrade names and most etched Craftsman were manufactured by Schrade. for Sears and sold in their catalog.

According to American Antique Switchblades  4.5 to 5 inch are most common many Presto knives made under contract (like Craftsman) had copper beryllium springs copper in color, the fixed guard knives are harder to find then the swing guards.

The shape of the blade and swing guard are a lot like the Press Button Victor knife.

Good to see you Jan

Lee,

Thank you so much for responding.  I was certain you would have some information and by golly you did!

Shannon, here is Lee's.  This knife is the reason I asked him to respond to you

http://www.iknifecollector.com/photo/craftsman-2-half-open?context=...

You know, Steve, that one star for collectability, doesn't mean much to me. People collect all sorts of knives and are ready to spend money on them. Take a rough rider, put it up for sale and a lot of people will be interested in it.. The book might say they are not very collectable but thousands of people collect them. See what I mean. What's collectable is up to the collector not the experts.

I'm not trying to be smart, but just trying to make a point about what is collectable, to a whole lot of collectors. Heck I collect old bottles I find in the swamps. They may not have much value but they are collectable. I hope you understand, what I'm trying to say.

I know you were just trying to help with good info but I just wanted to make a point about, collectability....lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service