Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

The Congress knife arrived on the scene in the early 1800s.   As with other Pocket knives such as Trappers and Stockman’s, the Congress was made with a specific audience in mind; and that audience was not congress.  Most likely the name Congress refers to the way the way the blades of the knife come together (as in the  equal numbers of blades are located on both ends  of the knife and then come together or meet in the middle of the handle).

The market for the knife was the Antebellum South  and the blades chosen were those needed to fulfill its agricultural needs.  The most common Congress is he four blade pattern which features two large sheepfoot blades as primary blades, and a small coping and pen blades as secondary blades.    The sheepfoot blades were used extensively in the cotton and tobacco industry.   The reason the Congress had two sheepfoot blades, one on each end, is the same reason the muskrat has two identical blades.  It allowed the user to cut twice as long before having to stop and re-sharpen his blades.  This allowed the worker to take fewer breaks during the work day.   The coping blade was used for scribing (perhaps carving initials in wood planks to mark work done?) and the pen blade was so that the knife had a blade with a point on it.

The pattern caught on like gangbusters in the Deep south and was found to be an excellent pattern for whittling.    The patterns quickly evolved and soon followed congress knives with  2 blades a Half Congress as well as 6 and 8 blade Congress knives.  Normally the Half Congress had one sheepfoot and a smaller pen or coping blade.  However the 6 and 8 blades tended to keep  two keep the two sheepfoot blades coming together in the center and just added additional blades such as a cuticle/nail file, small clips or additional coping or pen blades.  The most famous of is probably the six blade Congress that  Abraham Lincoln was carrying when he was assassinated.   (Abe Lincoln was said to be an avid whittler.) Today, many people call a six Blade Congress, regardless of the blades configuration a Lincoln Congress.   His actual knife had a large sheepfoot, a large spear blade, a cutlicle/file blade, two pen blades and one coping blade.

The early Congress knives, including the Lincoln congress were made on a slim concave shaped handle.  This meant that when the knife was placed spine down on a flat surface only the ends would touch the surface; the center of the knife would be raised in the air.  The ends were also smaller than the center of the knife so that you had two arcs.  Because of this shape, you have a somewhat long handle for relatively short blades! (Again the blades come together in the center!)  On the bright side, the longer handle gives you more to grip when cutting through tough stuff.

Today, you will also find congress knives built on a larger frame which allows wider blades to be added.  You will also occasionally find “congress” knives that have a flat back-spring. Many congress collectors can accept the wider frame but do not accept the flat spine, arguing (I think correctly) that the curve of the handle is an integral part of the pattern.  Some also argue, that the knife should have four blades, two  large sheepfoot,  followed by a small pen and a small coping. While this is the most traditional, it is probably not an argument worth making.  

Okay, enough  background!  Let’s come together and show some Congress knives!

The Congress pictured is an old Case Congress from around 1965-1969.    The pocket worn scales are old green jigged bone!

Views: 9346

Replies to This Discussion

Those are nice looking.   They feature a spear and sheepfoot for big blades and a pen and coping for small blades.  nice looking burnt amber bone!

Below is a stock photo.  

Smokey Mt. Knife Works Large Congress Bone Handles, 3-7/8".

I have a few congress models. One is a CRKT 4 blade in cow bone that is very small, and then a medium Buck Creek 4 blade in stag. It's my second favorite pattern behind the Sodbuster.

AMEN Leo!

I've got two Congress knives, one is a no-name Pakistani knife, the other is a Pride Cutlery PRC-made version. Not really a fan of the frame, but I figured I should have at least one or two examples on hand. The Pakistani knife is actually a pretty sturdy and usable knife, walks & talks, but is ass-ugly. The Pride Cutlery version is nice looking, but the master blades are super thin, and I could bend them into an "L" between my fingers if I wanted to, so I don't carry it much, (it's ok as a letter opener though). I like the looks of that H & R I saw on this thread earlier, but haven't gotten one yet. If I do get another Congress it will probably be a H & R. Here are my two:

Syd, I'm guessing a few die-hard Congress folks will argue that you have a couple 4 blade equal end pen knives!   A true Congress needs to have a concave bend to the frame so that when it is spine down on a flat surface only the bolsters touch and there is a noticable space between the center of the spine and the table.

Okay enough negativity.  I've got a cople Congress knives by Pride Cutlery and it would seem their is some inconsistency on their knives.  My 4 blade in white smooth bone is about the same quality as a Steel Warrior or a Chinese made Schrade.  The blades are thin but not too thin.   However, the five blade "Kentucky Congress" has thinner blades.  I'm not sure I could bend them by hand but I do think they could snap without too much side to side pressure (prying, etc,)

If you whittle or do a lot of rope work, I'd suggest trying a better quality of low priced congress knives before you write off the pattern.   The curve in the spine actually aids in gripping the knife and getting a downward pressure on the blade.  This is why congress fans want the curved spine.

Really? Now I know what a real Congress is supposed to look like. Well, can we change the name of this group to the "Looks Like A Congress" group? The Pride Cutlery knife actually says "Congress" on the box if I remember, I'll have to get it out of storage and look again to be sure.

Oh well, at least I got a ticket in the last contest, even if I mis-posted my photos.

Tobias Gibson said:

Syd, I'm guessing a few die-hard Congress folks will argue that you have a couple 4 blade equal end pen knives!   A true Congress needs to have a concave bend to the frame so that when it is spine down on a flat surface only the bolsters touch and there is a noticable space between the center of the spine and the table.

Okay enough negativity.  I've got a cople Congress knives by Pride Cutlery and it would seem their is some inconsistency on their knives.  My 4 blade in white smooth bone is about the same quality as a Steel Warrior or a Chinese made Schrade.  The blades are thin but not too thin.   However, the five blade "Kentucky Congress" has thinner blades.  I'm not sure I could bend them by hand but I do think they could snap without too much side to side pressure (prying, etc,)

If you whittle or do a lot of rope work, I'd suggest trying a better quality of low priced congress knives before you write off the pattern.   The curve in the spine actually aids in gripping the knife and getting a downward pressure on the blade.  This is why congress fans want the curved spine.

Syd Said:

"Really? Now I know what a real Congress is supposed to look like. Well, can we change the name of this group to the "Looks Like A Congress" group?"

My apologies, Syd,   I did say "Die Hard Congress Folks!"  If you notice my so called Kentucky Congress has a flat bottom.   I''ve got other Congress knives with a flat bottom as well.  I'd say, about half of my Congress knives are also "looks like a Congress Knife" according to the the strictest interpretation of what a congress knife is!  Even some of my concave handled congress Knives lack either one of the Sheepfoots or have two pen blades instead of a coping and a pen!      Maybe we can just call them "Corrupt Congress" knives instead of "looks like a Congress group!"  Nah, I have too much respect for the Congress knives regadless if the spine is straight or concave!

No apologies needed Tobias.

Though I "collect" knives, (maybe "accumulate" is a better term), I don't consider myself a purist by any means, and certainly not an expert, just maybe a little more informed about knives than the average citizen. Most importantly, I subscribe to your mantra of "Collect what you like", so at the time I simply liked these, so "accumulated" them.

I just assumed that it was the two sets of matching blades on equal ends that made a knife a "Congress", and at first glance that is the distinguishing feature that a non expert, like me, would notice. I just figured they were just a four bladed equal ended pen knife more or less.

Also, I must confess, this was posted during an IKC contest, so I was shamelessly posting and posting anywhere I could to get more tickets into that kitty. I didn't want to just aimlessly post rhetorical nonsense, so though I didn't know much about "Congress" knives, these two were the closest things I could lay my hands on, and this was the only group I hadn't posted in yet, so I gave it a shot. Now, with my newly found knowledge I can look forward to "accumulating" genuine, purist approved, Congress knives.

Always the educator Tobias, like I said before, you shoulda been a teacher. Thanks.

Tobias Gibson said:

Syd Said:

"Really? Now I know what a real Congress is supposed to look like. Well, can we change the name of this group to the "Looks Like A Congress" group?"

My apologies, Syd,   I did say "Die Hard Congress Folks!"  If you notice my so called Kentucky Congress has a flat bottom.   I''ve got other Congress knives with a flat bottom as well.  I'd say, about half of my Congress knives are also "looks like a Congress Knife" according to the the strictest interpretation of what a congress knife is!  Even some of my concave handled congress Knives lack either one of the Sheepfoots or have two pen blades instead of a coping and a pen!      Maybe we can just call them "Corrupt Congress" knives instead of "looks like a Congress group!"  Nah, I have too much respect for the Congress knives regadless if the spine is straight or concave!

Well just to be 100% clear, Syd,  If I were buying or selling either of those knives, I would call them a Congress!  And I kind of dig that Pakistan one.   The black pearl on it looks pretty good, at least in the picture, (I think that's the one you called "a$$ ugly"

Ya know, my daughter likes that one too. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even with knives. I like the frame, the blades, the workability of it, but the handles just look like cheap plastic to me. It doesn't show up in the photos like it does in person, that's why I call it ugly, not because it's a bad knife. That was a swap meet knife, no name other than "Pakistan" on one blade. Hmmmm, wanna trade?

Tobias Gibson said:

Well just to be 100% clear, Syd,  If I were buying or selling either of those knives, I would call them a Congress!  And I kind of dig that Pakistan one.   The black pearl on it looks pretty good, at least in the picture, (I think that's the one you called "a$$ ugly"

Ok, now I have a REAL Congress knife to show. Like Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise surprise surprise!".

I was lucky enough recently to obtain a Buck #322 Congress; it arrived today. These were made by Camillus for Buck as an SFO, (special factory order), for Smokey Mountain Knife Works in 1995. It was sold only through the SMKW catalog, and I would love to see a copy of that catalog, but apparently those are rarer than this knife. There were a couple of versions, one like this with normal black saw cut Delrin handles, and a version with yellow saw cut Delrin handles. Which version is the rarest is debatable, even among the Buck gurus, but as near as I can determine these were made in 1995 only, so production numbers will be relatively low. These had no model number stamped on the tang, and had straight bolsters, differing from most of the rest of the 300 series knives which have slanted bolsters. It also has brass handle pins, which also differs from many other CC-made 300 series knives which mostly have no handle pins.

This is part of my ongoing quest for one of each model of the CC-made Buck 300 series knives. BTW: though it doesn't show in these photos very well, this knife is a true Congress and has a curved bottom.

Here it is:

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
1 hour ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
1 hour ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
3 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
3 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
3 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Friday
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John