Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Is it the way it fits your hand when you use it or is it because you trust it to do the job when needed. Maybe its the way it looks (blade or frame configuration). There are many reasons that people carry a knife every day.

So I'm curious. I really don't carry a knife anymore. The last one I used for a edc and I still have it, is a Buck 703. 

So what are the reasons you carry a particular style/type knife. Pics would be nice also. 

Views: 563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I EDC a # of knives ..but.. there are 2 that are always in my pockets.

I've an auto that I carry primarily for its one-handed opening. With a closed length of 3.6” .. its size is the second determining factor. The blade steel is D2 tempered to a 60 +/- 1 HRC & certainly contributes ..because.. I’m not having to sharpen it every night. The blade length is 2.5”. The cutting edge is 2.25” .. adequate for most any daily use that arises .. for me.

The second one I’ve always with me is an A. G. Russell Medium Lockback Barlow. It’s a no nonsense .. sturdily built .. tuff knife. And .. the deep nail nick facilitates one hand opening. Closed length is 3.5" making pocket carry quite friendly. The blade is 2.80” with 2.56” of that as a sharp cutting edge. The blade steel is 8Cr13MoV temepered to a 58.5 +/- 0.5 HRC .. it takes & holds a good edge.

My EDC’s have to be comfortable in the pocket .. comfortable in hand .. have good blade steel ..and simply.. be up to the job.

Enjoy

D ale

Also .. they both lock in the open position .. safety is a plus !!

Hmmm...tough question. For me, it is a multitude of reasons. 1st is quality/reliability. I want my EDC to be something I can trust to get the job done, keep me safe while doing it, and not harm the tool in the process. 2nd, I suppose, is "right tool for the right job". I carry 3 knives. An SOG Flash (about 4" overall) for little jobs and the knife I will "lend" to someone if they need a blade. Then a medium sized knife (usually my Benchmade Barrage or Kershaw Junkyard Dog 2 or Speedbump for tougher, bigger jobs) that I can put a little more abuse and stress into. Lastly, my Zero Tolerance 0300 (8oz of solid tank at almost 9" overall and a healthy chunk of titanium) for the serious jobs that need serious strength and power, that will NEVER be lent out to anyone. 3rd reason, and I am man enough to admit it....I get a perverse thrill when I break out one of my knives with an authoritative SNAP and I watch eyebrows skyrocket or get a look of unadulterated lust for my knife. LOL! I am proud of my tools and love to show them off. Sometimes I carry something else just to have something different from my EDC collection in my pocket.

My absolute EDC is my spyderco bug.  Since it is on my keychain it goes everywhere with me.  It has even made a few flights (when I forgot it was on there).  But like the rest of you, sometimes the occasion/use dictates what is in my pocket.

I have a number of knives that were gifted to me that are carried on a regular basis.Here is the list and I will post pics of them this weekend

Case backpocket

Queen Oar

Col. Coon gunstock

Schatt & Morgan gunstock

Tidioute gepetto

Each was gifted with the stated idea that I would use and carry them, so I do.  Between them, there are enough blade configurations that I do not need to go to Donnies knives for a purpose...but you know I do!

"...but you know I do!"

Too cool .. makes for a good relationship

:)

Enjoy

D ale

I've pondered that question many times, but the vast majority of the knives I carry as EDC's are traditional frames, so having a traditional pocket knife with me is a factor because that is what I grew up with, and that is what I'm attracted to visually. I usually carry a couple at a time, (or more), a Pen knife or small Whittler for letter opening and other such duties, then something like a Trapper for heavier cutting chores like cardboard or cutting cable ties. I also often carry a Barlow or large Whittler in belt sheaths just because they're cool and good conversation starters. Occasionally though, when I'm going to be around large crowds or in dark alleys I also carry a lockback of some sort, (Buck 110 or similar), because I consider a lockable blade as vital, (and more appropriate), in a knife fight, (let's face it, a knife is also a weapon, and in California a stick or a knife is all you can legally carry).

I have two EDC knives, that are on me at all times. The first one is a Benchmade 585 MIni Barrage. Several reasons I like this knife are: 

1. It has a 154CM blade, which is decently resistant to rusting and staining, holds a decent edge and is not too hard to put an edge back on. 

2. I bought this knife from a dear friend (Terry Ray), who is no longer with us and it has sentimental value to me.

3. It has an assist open blade which makes for an easy one hand open.

4. I like to open it with the quick opening blade to get people's attention (always fun to see their reactions)

My second EDC is a Leatherman Skeletool CX. I like this multitool, because it doesn't have a lot of different tools on it, compared to some other multi tools. This one has a good blade (again made from 154CM). It also has a good set of needle nose pliers, with a wire cutter. It also has a removable screwdriver bit, which can be flipped around from phillips to flat easily. The last feature I like is, the carabiner type clip.

Jeremy B. Buchanan said:

I have two EDC knives, that are on me at all times. The first one is a Benchmade 585 MIni Barrage. Several reasons I like this knife are: 

1. It has a 154CM blade, which is decently resistant to rusting and staining, holds a decent edge and is not too hard to put an edge back on. 

2. I bought this knife from a dear friend (Terry Ray), who is no longer with us and it has sentimental value to me.

3. It has an assist open blade which makes for an easy one hand open.

4. I like to open it with the quick opening blade to get people's attention (always fun to see their reactions)

My second EDC is a Leatherman Skeletool CX. I like this multitool, because it doesn't have a lot of different tools on it, compared to some other multi tools. This one has a good blade (again made from 154CM). It also has a good set of needle nose pliers, with a wire cutter. It also has a removable screwdriver bit, which can be flipped around from phillips to flat easily. The last feature I like is, the carabiner type clip.

My EDC is this Colonial Model 105 automatic.  The main reason it is my EDC is its one hand opening and closing.  When you push the button it opens with authority.  There is never a question that it will open all the way and lock in position.  The second button is a slide lock which locks the blade both open and closed.  The Blackie Collins designed blade is ATS-34 steel.  The handle is glass filled nylon.  Its size both open and closed is about the same as a trapper.  However it is considerably lighter in weight.  I aso like the tanto style non-serrated blade.  I find it ideally suited to my normal everyday cutting chores.  It has a pocket clip on the back side but I find it more convenient to just drop it in my pocket.  The lifetime warranty is another great feature.  All in all I think it is a great knife.  I have various other knives that I might have with me for a particular task but this knife will always be in my pocket.

Really nice EDC's. I like em. I had tried to post a couple of pics of the Buck 703 I used to carry and a little no name linerlock that I use for opening letters and such but apparently did something wrong. so I'll try once more. Success The 703 I carried for about 4 years and the little no name I use around the house. 

I bought the Kershaw Knockout as an EDC for our annual cabin trip this summer, & it keeps finding its way back into my pocket, a lot.  It's much slimmer than I thought it would be, which could be torture if I had to use it for long periods at a shot doing something requiring a lot of strength cutting -- but for EDC, that means it disappears against the pocket much more easily.  It's got a decent blade size to overall weight ratio (3.25" to 3.4 oz.), & what appears to be a sharp but strong tip (so far).  

I really like the Knockout's aesthetics as well, & there's nothing annoying about it like blade-play or low-grade steel (Sandvick 14C28N); I can't feel too good about a knife when the manufacturer obviously got cheap on the blade steel -- something for which Kershaw is notorious, but not with this knife.  Some people might not like the assisted opening feature, but it works on this knife, at least for me.  

Unlikely I'd ever pull this knife out in an office setting, but it's street-legal in my area, so I'm not really hesitant to use it in any other setting or situation. Pretty sure I picked mine up for about $65, maybe less, so it's not too expensive to use or potentially lose (though I hope never the latter).

And I simply like this knife!

I must admit, I agreed with just about everything D ale said about what makes a good EDC.  Slight changes in size, weight , blade length etc.  are very noticeable in use, as well as in pocket-ability.  I have several pocket knives that are only a trifle bit bigger, smaller or heavier,  those small differences often keep me from picking it up for a day's use.  The ideal EDC for me is a very personal choice depending on where I will be, and what I will be doing that day.  Until recently, my Trestle Pine Portage has been my EDC of choice.  I like the weight, size, blade, and it exudes 'My Grandfather's Knife' image which is non threatening when brought out in public. 

I was intrigued by Dales description of his A. G. Russel Lockback Barlow and his photo drove me to get on the net to see if I could find one for myself.  There didn't seem to be any new ones out there, but I did find a used one in excellent condition for a fair price, so I bought it. 

As Dale said, 'A. G. Russell Medium Lockback Barlow. It’s a no nonsense .. sturdily built .. tuff knife. Closed length is 3.5" making pocket carry quite friendly. The blade is 2.80” with 2.56” of that as a sharp cutting edge. The blade steel is 8Cr13MoV temepered to a 58.5 +/- 0.5 HRC .. it takes & holds a good edge.'
It seems to be  made with quality materials and well put together.  btw, it feels very substantial in hand, but weighs only 81 grams. (2.85 oz)

My guess is that this Barlow will be one of my preferred EDC's.  Thank you D ale for sharing.
Rick

D ale said:

I EDC a # of knives ..but.. there are 2 that are always in my pockets.

I've an auto that I carry primarily for its one-handed opening. With a closed length of 3.6” .. its size is the second determining factor. The blade steel is D2 tempered to a 60 +/- 1 HRC & certainly contributes ..because.. I’m not having to sharpen it every night. The blade length is 2.5”. The cutting edge is 2.25” .. adequate for most any daily use that arises .. for me.

The second one I’ve always with me is an A. G. Russell Medium Lockback Barlow. It’s a no nonsense .. sturdily built .. tuff knife. And .. the deep nail nick facilitates one hand opening. Closed length is 3.5" making pocket carry quite friendly. The blade is 2.80” with 2.56” of that as a sharp cutting edge. The blade steel is 8Cr13MoV temepered to a 58.5 +/- 0.5 HRC .. it takes & holds a good edge.

My EDC’s have to be comfortable in the pocket .. comfortable in hand .. have good blade steel ..and simply.. be up to the job.

Enjoy

D ale

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit