Welcome Home

These knives were unused believe it or not. What a bummer!

Views: 442

Replies to This Discussion

If anyone is lnterested in repairing these knives hit me up. I thought I would;d take a shot but now I don't think I will ever get around to it..

Yeesh!  That's really awful...

The collector has to be sure of what they are buying. Today's acrylic is beautiful and safe.  Pre 2005 manufactured knives with celluloid handles may be called something else in the resale market which is not specific enough such as "plastic" or some other name. I carry several celluloids from the 1990s that are starting to offgas. It is a sad thing is to see a dealer who purchased multiple celluloids in good faith but are starting to destruct. Even worse can be the manufacturers that made the knives in good faith but has lost customer loyalty. 

CHANGE THE SCALES AND SAVE WHAT YOU CAN . EVEN MOD KNIVES STILL WORTH SOMETHING.

I agree John.  We removed all celluloid from our collection years ago.  The one we had that had already begun the gassing process was an old favorite.  I love a beautiful barndoor hinge! SO, Donnie rehandled it in a blond buffalo 

NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE .  LOOKS LIKE HE DID A GREAT JOB .

This knife was breaking down from the handle material that was yellow imitation pearl....now it is re-handled in Ivory.......It was gassing and rusting the metal .......made between 1920-1940.....took a long time....had it probably 20 years ...........then Whammy.............so keep an eye out for all your celluloids and plastics...........

My cousin that is rehandling a few of our knives....has a theory about the gassing...in that it might not be the celluloid or plastic by it self....it might be the combination of the Glue that was used  with them  during construction,...says the worst decay is associated with the glue areas ........just a thought.....

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

KnifeMaker
T.A.DAVISON posted a photo
13 minutes ago

KnifeMaker
T.A.DAVISON posted a photo
14 minutes ago

Featured
John Thornburg commented on John Thornburg's photo
21 minutes ago
John Bamford left a comment for John Howard
3 hours ago
J.J. Smith III commented on John Thornburg's photo
3 hours ago
J.J. Smith III posted a status
"2 weeks till the Palmetto knife show. The Victorinix Spartan, that due Monday is gonna have to calm me till then."
3 hours ago
John Howard left a comment for J.J. Smith III
8 hours ago
J.J. Smith III left a comment for John Howard
13 hours ago
Jan Carter posted a status
"Good Night my friends and God Bless"
15 hours ago
Jan Carter replied to Glenn McConnell's discussion Storage of knives, boxes & sheaths
17 hours ago
John Howard updated their profile
17 hours ago
John Howard left a comment for Billy Oneale
17 hours ago
John Howard left a comment for Charles Sample
17 hours ago

Featured
Charles Sample left a comment for Austin Jackson
18 hours ago
Billy Oneale left a comment for John Howard
18 hours ago