Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I figure that a bunch of us our vintage our own selves, so we probably also have some vintage tackle as well- LOL- Already showed my vintage hook remover in another discussion here, so I'll start with this- marked  Original Rapala-Floating-Finland-- I bought this in the early 60's and it has caught a few bass for me--

Views: 1014

Replies to This Discussion

Nice old lure John. I had a few 1930's "Babe-O-Reno" & "Bass-O-Reno" lures of my father's stolen in a burglary years ago, (they got guns & knives that day too), so all I have left of the old stuff is my Eagle Claw split bamboo rod with an old reel, and dad's Kinfolks fixed blade. I didn't do much lure fishing in the 60's & 70's, mostly fly and bait fishing, otherwise I would still have a few in the closet. I do have some ocean jigs around, but nothing "vintage".

I don't have much but I do have some.  I'll need to take some pics. Regrettably, growing up, we moved around quite a bit so most of my Dad's old old tackle disappeared.  I was 13 when he finally moved to Chicago and I don't think any fishing stuff made it here.  I don't even recall fishing as a teenager.  I think I started fishing again when I was 22, just before I went in the Army.  Then came the family and kids and bills, and working two jobs and before you know it, the kids are grown up and you realize 25 years have come and  gone and you have tackles that is so neglected it doesn't work and you can't even salvage it!

I only started fishing on a regular basis about 6 or 7 years ago, thus most of my stuff is fairly new. 

I became interested in vintage lures and such just a year ago when I saw the Heddon display at the Dowagiac Museum!   As such the little bit I do have has primarily come from estate sales or the flea market. I'll try and take some pictures tonight!  Most of my so-called vintage lures are probably from the 1960s, so nothing that special.

Here is a Creek Chub Jointed Pikey I found at an estate sale.  It comes in a 4.5 inches not including the trailing treble

I should mention it was covered with tan paint for some reason.  It took a little bit of cleaning to make it presentable!

Tobias--Wow!- I remember that lure- Not mine, but my brother's-- Brought to mind some other old great lure Companies- Fred Arbogast, Heddon, Pfleuger, South Bend, Shakespeare, and many others. Can't imagine why someone would cover such an obviously beautiful lure in tan paint>>

It looked as if it were accidental.   There was also a bucktail and some really nasty looking furry rat lure that I would've snatched up in heart beat if it wasn't also covered in the same tan paint.  My thought is either a dad had a kid with too much imagination/time on his hand or someone spilled some paint and it hit the lures.  the bucktail and the rat were beyond hope.

Many of the old lure companies are still around and still make some of the famous names.  The difference is they are made in China and have lost some of their charm.  I'll need to post some of my 1960s- 1970s Heddon lures.   I'm still searching for some of the older wood lures.

I'm kind of shocked that nobody is showing off their old tackle?   This next one is my Heddon Firetail Sonic.   According to my research theis particular lure was made between 1957 and 1962 so it is might be as old as I am!   The Firetail Sonic changed eye colors in 1962 when Heddon became Daisy-Heddon.  (The eyes went from yellow to white)  This particular one is the Firetail Sonic Redhead.   They made six catalog versions of the firetail and at least three that did not appear in catalogs.

The firetail is made of "Flame Glo Tenite" and supposedly make ultra-violet light visible to fish.  I'm not sure how Heddon proved this claim!

The firetail is my favorite lure to date.  Once have a few more I might even try my luck fishing with one!

Hey John, do you think we should show rods and reels in this discussion or in a different discussion?

Another one of my old lures, this one is a Heddon Tiny Torpedo.   I'm working on making a display box for some of my older lures.

Tobias--Just my own opinion--I named this "Vintage Tackle and Lures" to be all inclusive-- I was afraid that if we got too item specific, this might splinter into too many discussions with too few replies-- I, myself, would heartily welcome tackle of all sorts. My vintage Rapala just happened to be the handiest vintage tackle/lure I had at the time-- I would love  to see vintage rods,reels,creels, and even tackle boxes-- Remember when they were made to last and made of metal?? Once again, just my opinion- This is merely my discussion and not my group--  Please, if the rest of you feel differently, please sound off- I welcome all opinions on the subject~~~~

Works for me.  If it is old and use it for fishing then it goes here!  Rods, reels, boppers, lures, hook removers, etc,

Tobias- BTW, Do you have a crystal ball, or something?? Once upon a time, I owned both the Sonic and the  Tiny Torpedo- Lost both either to snags or the vagaries of time-- Brought back some fond memories of fishing days past--BTW, if anyone has an old Hula Popper, would love to see one again-- Another lost through time, but one that caught more than a few fish for me~~~ 

I have a new Hula Popper -- as in I bought it last year at a bait store and it hasn't even seen water, yet. I don't think that qualifies as a old!  I also have a slightly older Hula Dancer that has had its skirt replaced.  Neither is what I'd consider old.  The Dancerr has been fished but it is probably 10 or so years old at best.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
8 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
8 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
11 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
11 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
11 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John