The online community of knife collectors, A Knife Family Forged in Steel
I was recently humbled to receive Member of the Year award for 2016.
I can recall when Jan first joined. JJ Smith III was my first official "iKC friend" back in early 2010. I've been around here for awhile & it was simply amazing to be honored in this way.
Thank you .. all.
I also received a Jantz gift certificate .. which I quickly put to good use. I ordered a Jantz pattern # 33 blade blank in D2 tempered to 60 +/- 1 HRC in a peened (sandblasted) finish ..&.. a 0.375” X 1.5” X 10.0” piece of black paper micarta. The blade blank is a measured 0.125" thick & has three tang holes .. measuring ~ 0.144" diameter on one side & ~ 0.138" diameter on the other side .. there's a minor burr present on the small side. Not an issue ..since.. they're holes clearanced for common 0.125" (1/8") pin material.
On the blade blank .. I removed the rear step (originally meant to capture the bolster) from the blade blank. It turns out .. the width of the blade blank @ the intended point of the bolster .. 0.560” .. is @ or within a few thousands of the widest point of the remainder of the tang .. once the step is removed. I machined a 0.125” X 0.560” slot in the micarta to accept the blade blank. I also sanded a few thousands from the lower part of the tang .. insuring that the bolster spot was the widest point of the tang.
To do washers .. I’ll need about a 1” square of material. The smallest amount of copper material I could find @ the hardware store was 0.062” X 4” X 10” for just under $ 8.oo. I went to the plumbing section & picked up a copper 3/4” dia splice fitting for $ 1.49 + tax. I’ll need to cut a slot in it .. anneal it .. flatten it .. blank out a ~1" square ..&.. machine a 0.125 X 0.560 slot into it. I already have brass flat stock in a couple of thicknesses that I can use. I intend to do some combination of alternating brass & copper washers between the black micarta bolster & the Brazilian Heartwood scales.
I used a 0.125” end mill to machine the slot in the micarta. SO0o .. the ends of the slot were round. I used a 6” file to square the corners of the slot & for final fit to the blade blank. I .. somewhat tediously .. fit the micarta to the tang until the micarta could just be forced onto the bolster area of the tang. It is a tight press fit at the moment.
I did some quick research on annealing copper. It has to be heated to about 500 deg F & then allowed to air cool. If you're short on patience .. a water quench will apparently obtain workable results. Copper is also a metal that work hardens. SO0o .. I may need to anneal it more than once during the flattening & blanking process.
The 3/4" copper splice is slit lengthwise & I’ve began the annealing process. I heated the splice fitting with a propane torch as hot as I could get it & held it there for 1~2 minutes. It is now air cooling. It turns out .. it’s a rather large chuck of copper to be annealing with a propane torch. Copper conducts heat very well, i.e. it’s a great heat sink. I may have to cut out the smaller 1” X 1” square & anneal just that .. I’ll see.
This is the current point in the process. I'll post further progress pics .. as I progress .. in the comments section.
The copper annealed just fine & I was able to open the tube easily with just my hands.
I then clamped it in a vice & got it really flat.
The small pinch mark is where I clamped it with a pair of needle nose vice grips during heating / cooling.
I'm happy with the results.
It's sitting on a Brazilian Brownheart sheath I assembled for a small dagger in the lower pic.
Which .. is not finished out yet.
Great project, ill be watching.
That copper did anneal and flatten very well. I like the layering idea and am anxious to see how it looks when done
The Osage just ages SO0o well.
I've found .. a combination of brass & copper really compliment the Osage.
Got me a matched set of scales.
Need to machine tang slots in the brass & copper & then blank to ~ 1" sq.
Hey hey .. more progress today.
Blanked out the micarta bolster and the brass & copper washers.
I'm using 3/8" thick micarta .. which I'm pinning in place.
To center the pin in the 3/8 thick micarta .. I needed to inset the blade blank tang stop 1/8" into the micarta.
I machined the required area .. 0.050" L & .125" D .. then broke the tip of my utility knife squaring up the slot.
minor problem .. already rectified
I left 2 of the washers just blanked & with the machined slot .. rounded on either end.
The two installed washers .. I easily squared up the corners with a Nicholson 6" mill bastard file.
I'll be doing mosaic pins for the bolster & scales.
There's a slightly tapered 1/8" brass rod in there @ the moment.
Looking good, waiting to see how you shape the bolster and washers.
I am also excited to see this one coming together. The unique mix of materials has me smiling every time I see the next step happening! Be careful with the osage, I am a big fan of it also but it is not a great product to be breathing in
Made some progress today .. was forced to take a brief hiatus .. life.
Anyway .. got the black paper micarta (part of the future bolster) pinned & epoxied in place.
I used a dark grey 2-part epoxy ..hence.. the dark dot in the middle.
Next will be epoxying & clamping the brass & copper washers in place.
I'll use a clear epoxy for that.
I'll be making similar pins ..however.. I'll be mixing Osage Orange dust in the epoxy for those pins.
Which should result in a brownish dot in the center.
Slow ..but.. sure.