Welcome Home....

   I have searched for whittler pattern knives and just a whittling / carving knives. So many types of blades, different size, different shapes, handle materials and manufacturers.

Now I want to make a whittling / carving pocket knife manufacturer TOP10 including knives from cheapest to aprox. middle expensive knives, just because this hobby must be available to everybody. I think good hobby must bring only happiness and good mood, not only expenses!

 

Ok. Let’s start!

Pocket knives Manufacturers TOP10:

  1. Case & Sons (Seahorse whittler, and other regular whittlers)
  2. Bulldog cutlery (Celebrated Anglo Saxon Whittler, wharncliff whittlers, . . .)
  3. Rough Rider (whittlin buddy, regular whittlers)
  4. Ross Oar cutlery (chip and wharncliff blade pocket knives)
  5. Remington
  6. Kissing Crane
  7. Marbles cutlery
  8. Sarge cutlery (two and one blade carving knives)
  9. Frost cutlery (Steel Warrior, Iron Horse, . .wharncliffe blade and regular whittlers)
  10. Schrade cutlery (Old Timer, Uncle Henry)

 

These are those, who manufacture most interesting whittling / carving pocket knives. Of course if we talk about professional knives, than of course FlexCut canvin Jack! I don’t know other so good, professional carving / whittling knife! If you can ad some others good whittling / carving pocket knives, please ad them in the coments!

Next top: fixed blade w/c manufacturers TOP10

Tags: &, Bulldog, Case, Crane, Frost, Kissin, Marbles, Oar, Remington, Rider, More…Ross, Rough, Sarge, Schrade, Sons, WR, carver., carving, knives, manufacturers, pocket, whittler, whittling

Views: 15942

Replies to This Discussion

You've done a bit of research, Ivars.  I'd have to stop at the top 4.

 

Everyone knows that my all time favorite whittler is the Seahorse.

 

The Bulldog Wharncliffe whittler is a great user also.

 

Bulldog also has one that's called the "Groundhog".  It's a take apart 2 blade carver, that's nice to use.

 

I like my Rough Riders too.  Until they come up with a good Wharncliff Whittler, similar to the Seahorse, they are my favorite knives to modify.

 

I don't have any Ross Oar carvers, but they should be a top-notch product.  They are made by Queen, and can be ordered from several carving supplies websites, pre-sharpened, with a super bevil.

 

While I've got a smattering, of the remainder on your list, I only picked them up as examples and don't intend on using them.    I do have one of the Sarge 2 blade carving knives and find it to be more suitable fir "Chip Carving" than whittling.  I havn't seen and can't find the single blade that is pictured.  It looks interesting.

 

I have modified a Steel Warrior, with good results, but find it inferior to the Rough Rider modifications.

 

I guess you can tell I have an affinity to Wharncliffe Whittlers.  Having a good pen and coping blade as secondaries, like the CASE and Bulldog, only add to their carving usefulness.

Greate knives You have! Wharncliff blade I think is best for whittling. I found Sarge and Ross Oar carvers yesterday, and I think they could be preaty good too! The buldog two blade vearsian is very interesting too! Aprox. the same type is a RR Whittlin buddy and Kershaw Double cross knife (larger blades than usualy it have a whittler knives) 

J.J. Smith III said:

You've done a bit of research, Ivars.  I'd have to stop at the top 4.

 

Everyone knows that my all time favorite whittler is the Seahorse.

 

The Bulldog Wharncliffe whittler is a great user also.

 

Bulldog also has one that's called the "Groundhog".  It's a take apart 2 blade carver, that's nice to use.

 

I like my Rough Riders too.  Until they come up with a good Wharncliff Whittler, similar to the Seahorse, they are my favorite knives to modify.

 

I don't have any Ross Oar carvers, but they should be a top-notch product.  They are made by Queen, and can be ordered from several carving supplies websites, pre-sharpened, with a super bevil.

 

While I've got a smattering, of the remainder on your list, I only picked them up as examples and don't intend on using them.    I do have one of the Sarge 2 blade carving knives and find it to be more suitable fir "Chip Carving" than whittling.  I havn't seen and can't find the single blade that is pictured.  It looks interesting.

 

I have modified a Steel Warrior, with good results, but find it inferior to the Rough Rider modifications.

 

I guess you can tell I have an affinity to Wharncliffe Whittlers.  Having a good pen and coping blade as secondaries, like the CASE and Bulldog, only add to their carving usefulness.

I checked the Sarge website and couldnt find the single blade knife that you showed.  I have the 2 blade and was not impressed, the blades were not at a good angle for whittling.

The Oar carvers are great carvers, I'm just too cheap to buy one.

 

I was wondering if you had recieved your Frost whittlers yet, and what was your impression with them.  I was given one of the 2 blade warnies and modified the secondary blade to more of a pin blade.  Makes it more usable.

I found Sarge knives there: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082574/31335/Single-Blade-Folding...

in this store is a two blade carver too.

 

About wharncliff Steel warriors. Unfortunately my partner in US. isnt a good gentleman! He don't want to order a knives for my coutry so often!  And he don't like to search knives in other stores. And my knife still is in the US. :(

You know I search a partner who would like to order knives for me! I found these knives on ebay, but knife and shipping price is too high! But maybe I should order tham???

 Maybe You can help me? Of course some % in your pocket from knife order? :D 

J.J. Smith III said:

I checked the Sarge website and couldnt find the single blade knife that you showed.  I have the 2 blade and was not impressed, the blades were not at a good angle for whittling.

The Oar carvers are great carvers, I'm just too cheap to buy one.

 

I was wondering if you had recieved your Frost whittlers yet, and what was your impression with them.  I was given one of the 2 blade warnies and modified the secondary blade to more of a pin blade.  Makes it more usable.

I'd help you out, but I don't use e-bay, myself, sorry.

 

I don't think that the single blade is from Sarge.  It's not listed on their site.  It does look like a nice detail knife though.

I don’t mean ebay! I mean US e stores, like cutlery corner and/ or others. You can get a percents from the deal.

About Sarge knives: I can't get into the sarge homepage. Some kind of server error? Maybe Sarge doesn’t make these knives any more?


J.J. Smith III said:

I'd help you out, but I don't use e-bay, myself, sorry.

 

I don't think that the single blade is from Sarge.  It's not listed on their site.  It does look like a nice detail knife though.

Hi Guys, I'm not really a whittlin' man or even a true whittler collector. (although I do dabble in both a bit) I do have a few whittlers in my collection, but one in particular that I thought you might enjoy. It's a turn of the century Keen Kutter Gunstock Whittler. I hadn't ever seen one before. Picked this one up at an estate sale awhile back. It has a tapered spacer between the backsprings. Each smaller blade operates of their own spring with the primary blade operating off both at the other end. Handles are Ebony. Seems to be a really well built knife and not one you see everyday.  Anyway, thought you might like to see it. Rob

Never seen one like that either, Bob. 

Looks like it has some stories to tell.

 

The tapered spacer is called a "Wedge Back".  It's purpose is to allow constant spring thickness the entire length.  (Makes it a "Wedge Back Whittler". 

The other variety is called a "Tapered Backspring Whittler", where the springs are tapered at the main blade.  There is no spacer in those.

Oh yah J.J., definetly been used a lot! Looks like the primary and pen blades were their favorites. A pretty sure sign of a right handed person. Anyway, thanks for the info on "wedge back" and "tapered spring" whittlers. The pics of ya'lls whittler collections have me takin' a hard second look at the pattern and I may just have to have me some of them whittlin' knives. LOL!  Very nice collections!!!
J.J. Smith III said:

Never seen one like that either, Bob. 

Looks like it has some stories to tell.

 

The tapered spacer is called a "Wedge Back".  It's purpose is to allow constant spring thickness the entire length.  (Makes it a "Wedge Back Whittler". 

The other variety is called a "Tapered Backspring Whittler", where the springs are tapered at the main blade.  There is no spacer in those.

RSS

Franks Classic Knives

Latest Activity

Kent posted a discussion
8 minutes ago
Kent posted a status
"thank you"
12 minutes ago
Steve Hanner commented on Kent's status
13 minutes ago
Steve Hanner commented on Vance Wade Hinds's status
15 minutes ago
Steve Hanner commented on Ben's group Outdoor Living Hosted by Robert Burris
16 minutes ago
Kent posted a status
"Hi there, I recently received a knive set and was wonfering if any could help me a value on it"
17 minutes ago
Steve Hanner commented on Ben's group Outdoor Living Hosted by Robert Burris
20 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) commented on Stefan Albert's photo
26 minutes ago
Steve Hanner replied to Donald Rourke's discussion General comments on web sites
28 minutes ago
Doug Garnes left a comment for Doug Garnes
33 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) replied to Steve Scheuerman (Manx)'s discussion Collectable Blackjacks! Do you have any/many from the original Blackjack era? in the group Blackjack Knives. Older and Newer!
39 minutes ago

KnifeMaker
Vance Wade Hinds posted a status
"Jeff Hollett passed away from cancer on Sunday. Service is Saturday at 11 Lakepointe Church located 3540 Emporium Cr. Mesquite, Tx 75150."
40 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) replied to Frank Stennett's discussion The season
43 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) left a comment for Terry Ray
48 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) left a comment for Doug Garnes
51 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) left a comment for Joe johnson
51 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) left a comment for John D. Lavender
52 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) left a comment for Lee Beene
52 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) left a comment for phil freeman
52 minutes ago

Moderator
Steve Scheuerman (Manx) left a comment for Richard D, Everist
53 minutes ago

Reed Cutlery Company

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

iKC discount code ikc

Cherokee Knife Supply

© 2014   Created by Jan Carter.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service