Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Hi all! Been meaning to join up for quite some time, but just never got around to it. (sound familiar?). At any rate, I have acquired a pretty unique mountain knife. It appears to have been fashioned from an military saber but so far, I've gotten nothing but eye strain and a headache trying to match up the somewhat indistinguishable tang marks. I sure would be obliged if one of you experts could help me ID it.

The blade is 15 1/2" from tip to the guard.

Thanks, and looking forward to a long and interesting trip through the world of knives. 

Tags: Bone, handle

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow Paul, I can't help you but that sure is a fantastic find.

Welcome Paul, glad you are here. Give it a little time, for some of our members that specialize in this type of knife to have a look.

Will do, One thing ya learn at this age is plenty of patience.

Robert Burris said:

Welcome Paul, glad you are here. Give it a little time, for some of our members that specialize in this type of knife to have a look.

Thought it might be good to add a close up if the tang stamp.

No help here, either. But it sure is unique, if nothing else! 

Very interesting piece!  I think your correct in that it looks to be a re-handled saber of some sort But I dont recognize the tang.  Will see if I can find anything on it

Thanks Jan. It might be better if it didn't have a tang stamp at all,this kind of thing can drive one crazy. I've looked through countless military sites, and virtually all of the stamps run parallel to the guard unlike this one. Well I'll keep plugging away, and again I appreciate everyone's help.

Certainly looks like the tang stamp has been re stamped.  I have no idea (way out of my experience) but it's a cool looking piece.

I'd be interested to know the story on this knife. How old is it? Where did it come from?

Hi Mike. As someone who is also interested in older Americana, I'm always on the lookout for the historical stuff. I acquired this from a very reputable source, but with no real provenance. My guess is that it is possibly a military saber fashioned into a knife by either a Native American, or a Mountain Man/Trapper. One of the ways I'm trying to establish a date for it is to identify the tang stamp. I'm also going to try to find someone to identify what the sheath is made of, and what kind of hair is embedded in the handle. Any out of the box theories you might have would be welcomed.

Mike Nollett said:

I'd be interested to know the story on this knife. How old is it? Where did it come from?

*****UPDATE******* Decided to do additional research on this rather than work outside in humid 90 degree weather. It paid off

The tang stamp actually reads S.H. Co., Little Gaint, St. Louis. The Simmons Hardware Co. was established around 1859 and was the same company that manufactured Keen Kutter pocket knives in New York. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.thckk.org/history/simmons-hdwe.pdf . So it would appear that the knife itself was married up with a brass guard

( military sabre?) and finished with a bone handle. While part of the mystery has been resolved, the more intriguing aspect of it is the process that someone went through in creating this unique piece, and what it was used for.

Thanks to the folks who have taken an interest in my post. I hope you have enjoyed viewing the knife. 

Great Update, Paul.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by