Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

So last year I built a knife which was in the largest part designed by committee.

This year I'd love to do the same. I've got a number of projects that I'd like to finish. But I'd really enjoy a run up to this new one.

Just in case you missed last years here are a couple of links so you can check it out. It ended up looking like this:

The initial thread: http://www.iknifecollector.com/profiles/blogs/a-knife-by-comittee-c...

Part 2: http://www.iknifecollector.com/profiles/blogs/the-comittee-knife-pa...

The final thread: http://www.iknifecollector.com/profiles/blogs/the-final-committee-k...

So now that we've gotten the introductions out of the way for those I weren't involved last time:

What am I going to build this time? Last time I wanted to stay limited to what I had in stock on materials. This year there's no such restriction. Any steel, (provided I can get my grubby little hands on it) and any handle materials is fair game (provided I can afford it:-)).

Any design and any feature as long as it's a fixed blade. So how about we start brainstorming?

Let's start with the size? How big would you like this blade to be? How about the handle?

3"blade for EDC? 4-5" blade for Hunting? 2" blade for office carry? 6" blade or larger? Bowie sized? Camp chopper?

And keep in mind, just like last year, majority (or the law of averages) rules!

I'll try to not influence what the group decided because as the maker of the knife I have influence enough already.

Let's get talking. I hope to get started on the knife in about 2,5 months!

(ps, if there's certain knives you like that have certain features that you like. Just show them off and tell us about the things you like about it.

Blade size first! Then we'll start talking blade shape, Blade steel! handle type and shape and materials!

Last offcourse is the sheath!

Tags: Custom, LXblades.com, committee, knife, knife.

Views: 729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

heavy swedge

Alexander Noot said:

Is that a saber ground spearpoint with a heavy swedge? Or are we just talking about the bladeshape Jan?

hey hey hey!... ill be following VERY CLOSE!!!..  4 inch hanlde .3.5 blade, and forget woods go with BONE or ivory or MOP!.. wharnie blade!

last years knife is nice and displayed and im looking at it right now. if this one takes you a bit to make it would be nice to see th difference in quality after a year has gone by!  alsolast suggestion... maybe make it a more simple work knife?..something more affordable...just thoughts..plus its gets the bidding going a lot more and can make for a fun thread!

all i know is NOOT..you make a great blade... oh..and are you going to try and keep them about a year apart???..also things like filework ,fatty swedge...mosaic pins...  ectect..if i repated anything ..sorry i didnt read the posts.ill go through them shortly to read others ideas! ...

isnt this what we see on the TUNA and other swinguards///or at least close??

Jan Carter said:

here is my vote

LAST BUT NOT LEAST-AGAIN- A TOOLED SHEATH!!!!! even if it ws just tooled with an iKC 2014  and NOOT KNIVES on the poclet clip for sheath!

I'm sorry but I would like to see a camp knife in w2

Allright. And by camp knife I'm assuming you mean 8"+  blade right?

Goodness some great ideas going on in here!

Allright. I've tallied all the votes up.

We've got two outlier votes for 8"+ blades and one for 2.5" but other than that all votes are in the 3.5" - 4.5" range.So I think this year will be a 4" blade

Then we're getting to bladeshape.

So far we've got suggestions for Bull Nose, Nessmuk, Spearpoint with deep swedge, Wharncliffe, "Campknife" which in most cases I suppose would be a wide shaped clippoint, and a modified sheepsfoot. I think we'll do a "shape off" or something. 

We'll have three sets of 2 facing off against each other (Randomly generated I've already created the roster.)

3 sets will be left and they'll face off in a 3 way match! Posting a blog with a poll right now for round one!

Vote here!  http://poll.pollcode.com/14658787

Or check out the quick blog I typed up for Round 1 in the

"Battle of the Bladeshapes!!!"

The Clippoint bladeshape wins the first round of Battle of the Bladeshapes!

Up next the Modified Wharncliffe against the Spearpoint with a dagger swedge.

Second Round won by the Spearpoint with a Dagger swedge.

Next round:

Wharncliffe versus Nessmuk!

WHARN!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!