Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I bought this and 7 other knives at a rummage sale, a friend of mine told me too look them up cause they look vintage. All of the knives I found info on except the one I'm sending pictures of, sorry about the quality of the pics. The little info Ive found tells me its a Ka Bar Dogs Head, the odd part about it is the dog head emblem doesn't have Ka bar etched into it. The blade has Union etched into it, is this an odd knock off or something. Can anyone enlighten me on what I have here? Thanks

Views: 1258

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

The dogs head shield wouldn't normally have a brand or any other engraving. What you call engraving on the blade is what we call a tang stamp, which indicates NY as a place of manufacture, and the "Union Cut Co" could just be a brand name having noting to do with who made it.

It definitely looks old, and I would call it a "Coke Bottle" frame. Kabar is indeed located in NY, (Olean), but I can't make out the town stamped under the company name, (could help identify the actual manufacturer, Kabar was made by several different companies over the years), so your info may be correct as to the model name. I found info on All About Pocket Knives that says Kabar reissued three different frames of the dogs head shield in 1978, but this one looks like it could be a "lever lock" or "swing guard lock" from a much earlier date, (if it's 5 1/4" long closed IT IS probably a swing guard knife called a "hunter"). I also found a mention that they didn't have "Kabar" stamped on them until after 1923, they also mentioned "Coke Bottle" as one of the frames from that time period.

So, all that being said I say the best thing for you to do is follow the AAPK link I included above, do a search and see what you can find. Extremely cool knife whatever it turns out to be.

Jerry,

Can you post a pic of the knife as a whole?  We can help!  Based on what I have seen it IS a KaBar lever lock, no to determine the age

Thanks guys, sorry about these photos but it seems almost impossible too get a good clear shot..

Attachments:

Sorry for all the bother but this is stumping me, going by a tang stamp chart for KaBar, I cannot find a stamp that matches mine 100%. Mine being all large block lettering, in this configuration.

UNION

CUT, CO,

OLEAN,N,Y,

Ive only seen a few other photos online of this knife, but, I'm also sure I'm not looking in the right places. 

Attachments:

Jan Carter said:

Jerry,

Can you post a pic of the knife as a whole?  We can help!  Based on what I have seen it IS a KaBar lever lock, no to determine the age

Attachments:

Jan & Jerry, from what I keep reading I believe this ito be a Kabar Lever Lock "Hunter" in Coke Bottle frame, possibly pre 1923. I believe it's less likely to be a 1970's-80's reissue because according to what I have read those had a "Kabar" stamp on them. Of course, researching old knives with obscure branding is like doing a genealogy without  adequate documentation, so I could definitely be mistaken. I once found a thread with a bunch of old catalogs in it, I'll try to find that and see if I can find some old Kabar catalogs. Here is the closest thing I have found on the bay that is even similar: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Mint-Kabar-Dog-head-Large-Cokebottle-..., and here is a reissue version that looks similar but definitely not the same as far as jig, etc goes:http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-KA-BAR-KNIFE-COLLECTORS-CLUB-L...

Jan Carter said:

Jerry,

As I am doing some research I am adding some Ka-Bar info to the research group

KaBar Dating - This came from another post and is very helpful

Posted by Ken Spielvogel on August 5, 2013 at 12:21

Union Cutlery Co.
Olean, NY 1911-1951
KA-BAR brand 1923-1951
Wallace R. & Emerson Brown
Danforth Brown Manufacturer

I found this in our Research group

Ok, that confirms my suspicion that this may be a pre 1923 knife, fits with info I found on AAPK, and the handles certainly are different than the reissues, (so is the steel from the looks of it). If true I am green with envy, wonderful find.

Jan Carter said:

KaBar Dating - This came from another post and is very helpful

Posted by Ken Spielvogel on August 5, 2013 at 12:21

Union Cutlery Co.
Olean, NY 1911-1951
KA-BAR brand 1923-1951
Wallace R. & Emerson Brown
Danforth Brown Manufacturer

I found this in our Research group

Lot 59 KA-BAR, Union Cut. Co. jigged green bone lockback dogshead folding hunter, fold over lever unlocks the blade, blade is low exc except for some pitting and splotches of rusting along the blade back. Rare (90017-sto) Minimum bid $150.00 

http://www.jbrucevoyles.com/A90/A90%20Page%201.html  That auction ended 2-9-16.  I do not know what it sold for

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service