Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Blades larger than standard fixed and folding knives. In other words, the top 90% or more of all the knives in use..

***********************************OUR NEWEST SPONSOR******************************************************

Grand Opening Give Drawing!

December 13, 2019|Special Offers

I'll be giving away a couple of items for the Grand Opening of Trestle Pine Knives.  It's also Christmas so it's a win win no matter how you look at it!  All you have to do is subscribe to the Trestle Pine Blog or create an account.  Either of these actions will increase your eligibility for future drawings or specials.

For the Grand Opening by opening an account you become eligible to win either a Marble's Mini-Ax OR an Helle Algonquin neck knife.  The drawing will be held on New Years Eve so you have some time to get your name in.  Grand Opening Give Away Drawing!

Tags: &, (and, Adzes, Axes, Cleavers, Kukris, Machetes, Saws, Tomahawks, Ulus)

Views: 3546

Replies to This Discussion

Comment by Jan Carter on August 9, 2011 at 20:48

Thanks for the welcome 

Comment by Jeremi Lett on June 29, 2011 at 9:20

I want to pick up a United M48 Tomahawk asap,but have been strapped for cash lately,so I cannot get new toys yet.Anybody got one of those yet??

Comment by Jake on June 27, 2011 at 22:20

Well I got some use out of my cheap "Roughneck" hatchet falling some small trees in the way of my firing line. It worked well and I gave it a good sharpening and stropping. for a tool that only course $11 it is fairly nice. I know there are better but I'm happy with it.

Comment by Jeremi Lett on February 19, 2011 at 0:41

The VTAC LaGana Vietnam tac tomahawk is a good one,but I have never used one myself.I dunno if those are hand made tho.Not well known,but Condor throwing axe is a great, affordable hawk.United has new M48 tomahawk I want that is almost a copy of RMJ Forge Talon tac hawk.I am undecided 4now,but maybe as time goes by,I will come to a single answer.

Comment by Jeremi Lett on January 30, 2011 at 18:22

Just threw some axess in my backyard today!Here is almost all my axes and tomahawks.

Comment by Chris Hillier on January 26, 2011 at 18:04

The CS shovel makes a good Off road shovel, ok to dig loose soil, chops evergreen limbs to pack stuck tires and small enough to not overwhelm the pan of most vehicles

Comment by Andy Voelkle "AxeMan" on September 18, 2010 at 1:55

Mike--
The CS shovel will split well sawn 3-6" fir, aspen, pine and spruce but that's all I tried. It makes a better entrenching tool for special forces guys, with an enhanced ability to chop light brush prior to entrenching. For my type of camping I use the two classic tools of woodcraft more often than not.

When preparing a campfire I cut wood in the 1-6" range with a good small saw, then I split that wood with a good small axe. I have a picture up of some of my favorites. Gerber, Husqvarna, Wetterlings and Gransfors-Bruks make small lightweight axes that come very sharp.

You probably know that small axes can be very dangerous if not handled with special attention to their short handles. A good old 36" camp axe will often strike the ground harmlessly if there's a miss or a knot that causes a glancing blow. An 18-24" small axe, or a CS Ranger Shovel for that matter, demands special care or a missed blow will take off some skin.

A knife fills in for more delicate tasks like making some shavings or a fuzz stick, cutting my steak etc. The shovel I usually take to camp is a small plastic Fiskars trowel for digging cat holes, or one of those 30" mini spades (about $10) from the big box store that have enough handle to be useful, and a head big enough for my foot.

If I had to pack a diggingshovel in, the CS would be a very good choice, as it will chop the lower dead limbs of conifers for firewood, but it wouldn't get called on to split much wood that hadn't been sawn first.

Comment by mike copperman on September 17, 2010 at 22:48

Does anyone have a cold steel special forces shovel? and if so, can it split wood?

Comment by Andy Voelkle "AxeMan" on September 7, 2010 at 14:17

Yo, M8 -- why not leave some more info on this. I have both brands, and hope the GBs will drop their prices!

Comment by Tim Noble on June 13, 2010 at 5:46

There's a draw for knife nuts if any of you are interested. You can win £1000 ($1500) just for posting on knives. Thought I'd share. It's for knife fans only.http://www.ukblades.com/viewforum.php?f=24

Comment by Andy Voelkle "AxeMan" on January 27, 2010 at 19:59

Excellent, Warren! I've gotten me a little kukri and a small sounding axe and havent got pix up, either. Surfin' about two waves behind the pack!

Comment by Warren L. Strout on January 27, 2010 at 19:17

Hi Everyone - Thanks for welcoming me to the "club". I have a great little camp axe that was hand forged by Jonathan Nedbor of High Falls, New York. It was patterned after the Fort Meigs hatchet of Revolutionary days. It was forged about 1986. If I ever figure out how to get a picture on this "thing" - I'll let you see it! Sincerely, "Lonewwolf"

Comment by Tim Noble on January 17, 2010 at 4:54

Thanks. The smaller one with the cutlass style end is 15 inches overall length. The larger is 24 inches. The Heat treatment took a lot of trial and error to ensure the blade was flexible enough yet hard enough along the cutting edge to go through saplings and bush. It was for a guy who lives out in Africa and runs big game hunting holidays. It had to match a Damascus hunting knife his father left him. We based it on a very rough bushcutter he gave us to base it on. I'll post some pictures of the example we based it on later. Thanks for your comments.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service