Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

A barlow knife has one or two blade, a huge metal bolster, and a comfortable tear-drop shaped handle. the blade or blades are attached at the small end of the handle. The first barlow being made in Sheffield England in the 1600's. It was made by several American shops soon after, and has become as American  as "apple pie". George Washington was known to have a barlow knife, Mark twain referred to a "real barlow" in his tom sawyer and huckleberry finn in 1876. Barlow's have long been gifts treasured by young American boys through the ages. at least on song was written about a barlow knife.

"I been livin' here all my life, All I got is a Barlow Knife; Buck horn handle and a barlow blade, Best dang knife that ever was made."

Tags: Barlow, Pattern, barlow-knives

Views: 3598

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Tobias Gibson on August 30, 2013 at 21:02

I got this one when I visited SMKW.  They had just came out with the Marbless Wildlife Series.  It was like they had made this one special for me.  I love the Granddaddy, I love white smooth bone. I love raccoons.  And they tossed in a piece of  stag to boot!

Reply by Ken Spielvogel on August 30, 2013 at 23:37

That's a nice one Tobias

Reply by Robert Burris on August 31, 2013 at 9:49

I love it, I didn't know they made one, like that. I just bought a Marbles, Jumbo Trapper for my Cousins birthday and was amazed at how well it's made. I'm a daddy Barlow fan too, I might have to try get one like that

Reply by Robert Burris on August 31, 2013 at 16:29

This is a few of my Barlows. I decided to put a group of them, to try get things going. My favorite out of these is the Shrade.

Reply by Ken Spielvogel on August 31, 2013 at 17:22

Robert, very nice, yes that Schrade is a dandy.

Reply by Tobias Gibson on September 1, 2013 at 16:47

Rough Rider calls the 5 inch barlows "Big Daddy" instead of "Grand Daddy"  Either way, the look great.   The swedge on the blade is really and appealing feature of the knife

Reply by Robert Burris on September 1, 2013 at 17:46

Yea buddy, real nice!

Reply by Donald Lee Hargrove on September 4, 2013 at 17:00

Here's a few more Barlows for the stack.  Please excuse the photography, I'm still working on that ...

(1)  This is an Eye Witness with a curved horn handle, an interesting bolster ("(eye) / WITNESS / SHEFFIELD / ENGLAND"), & a single clip blade:

(2)  A Keen Kutter with a clip & a pen blade.  Not sure about the handle material:

(3)  A Henckels with a stag handle and clip & pen blades:

Reply by Ken Spielvogel on September 4, 2013 at 17:09

Great Barlows Donald - I esp like the stag.

Reply by Donald Lee Hargrove on September 4, 2013 at 17:12

(4)  A U.S. Classic with a curved, picked-bone handle, a fancy bolster, and sheepfoot & pen blades:

(5)  This unusual electrician's knife takes the form of a Barlow knife.  It's named "wwwELECTRIC / MATEwww" and comes with all the trimmings -- Black plastic (?) handles with bale, sheepfoot blade, and locking ("PRESS") screwdriver blade:

Reply by Tobias Gibson on September 4, 2013 at 18:50

Donald, I think you just won the prize for coolest and most unusual Barlows of the Week!  Those are great!

Reply by Robert Burris on September 4, 2013 at 19:23

They sure are, I love them.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service