Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Picked up my first Bear & Sons pocket knife, a #354 1/2 Little Trapper in Yellow Delrin & CV blades, (3" closed). My local Ace Hardware franchise has semi-annual 20% off everything sales, and each time I try to pick up a good knife to "keep it local" so to speak. Last time I snagged a Case #6233 Pen Knife, but even with the discount the hardware store's prices are still too high compared to online for Case, so this time I opted for this B & S because with the discount it only cost $22, (selling for around $30 on Ebay currently). I also looked at a B & S small stockman w/ simulated bone handles, but that one was really gritty when opening, so I chose this one instead.

Now, what did I get? Well, as a US-made knife I was expecting a little more frankly, but I plan on this being a "user", so it should fill that role adequately. Fit & finish are average IMHO, with the only obvious flaw being the spring on the master blade being a little low when closed, (see photos). Everything else seems fine; tight sharp blades, not gritty when opening, decent half stop, no blade rub, and relatively well fitted handles, (no significant gaps at bolsters & well hafted, but not perfect like on Case knives). Not exactly thrilled with the shade of yellow on the handles either, but it isn't much different than others I have seen.

I did some research and there are quite a few negative opinions out there about B & S in general, especially concerning fit & finish. I read one post from a supposed "ex employee" who said that the only knives they check quality on closely are knives that they take to shows, but that regular production knives are often substandard. That same type of comment seems to be more frequent that good reviews, so obviously they have had some issues.

I only have this one example to compare, at the price I paid and the fact that it is US-made, I am comfortable owning it. I usually don't buy non-stainless knives, but decided to give this one a try despite the CV steel used in the blades, (already applied Frog Lube, so not too worried). I like the size, I like the hollow grind on the blades, and other than that slight spring gap I can find little to complain about. I admit that I have imported Rough Rider knives with better F & F, but that is a different story for another thread, so I am happy to have it.

So, what has your experience been with Bear & Sons? Please feel free to comment and add photos if you have them.

Views: 557

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks & sounds like you got the better deal.

Very kind of the distributor .. your local hardware store. Speaks volumes of Bear & Son also. 

You've every reason to be a "happy camper" , Syd.

Syd Carr said:

I took it back and exchanged it straight across for this B & S #533, 3' closed, Genuine India Stag Bone Stockman. ... , and I got a far better knife in the bargain, (IMHO).

I agree, I got the best of this deal. Helps that I know the manager of the local hardware store, he knows I am a collector and appreciates that I try to "buy local", so he made the exchange work. He also appreciated that I pointed out a flaw in an otherwise good knife that he didn't know to look for. He also knows that the next time they have a sale I will likely be back buying more knives; a win win for both of us.

I'm actually quite thrilled with the little knife, it really is well-built, and would stand up to comparison with any US-made knife in my opinion.

D ale said:

Looks & sounds like you got the better deal.

Very kind of the distributor .. your local hardware store. Speaks volumes of Bear & Son also. 

You've every reason to be a "happy camper" , Syd.

Syd Carr said:

I took it back and exchanged it straight across for this B & S #533, 3' closed, Genuine India Stag Bone Stockman. ... , and I got a far better knife in the bargain, (IMHO).

Syd,

I always say it is good for your dealer to know you and your collection.  He knows this is a hobby you have a passion for, he knows your going to buy from him again and he went beyond to make this a much better experience for you.  Dale is right, it speak volumes !

Making Damascus is just amazing.  Here is a video I did while I was there a while agao

Thanks for the vid Jan. I might try to drop by there in a couple of weeks when driving to Atlanta if I have the time. Looks like a place I would feel right at home in. You guys don't know this, but my older brother was a blacksmith/farrier, and one of my good friends is Peter Fels, a world renowned blacksmith & iron artist who lives in Big Sur. I have spent many, many hours in similar places. Ain't a much better a way to spend some time than hanging around a working shop; I can almost smell the hot iron from here.

Jan Carter said:

Syd,

I always say it is good for your dealer to know you and your collection.  He knows this is a hobby you have a passion for, he knows your going to buy from him again and he went beyond to make this a much better experience for you.  Dale is right, it speak volumes !

Making Damascus is just amazing.  Here is a video I did while I was there a while agao

Syd,

Hey, check your route.  We are just about 2 hours above Atlanta in Hiawassee, Ga.  I know Donnie would love to have you come play on the forge and anvils with him!  AND, the guest room is attached to the knife shop LOL

I just might do that Jan, was going to ask about that actually, (the possibility had crossed my mind). I am going to try and go up into TN anyway to go to SMKW in Seveirville some time during my visit, I may very well try to sneak away and come your way for a visit too. I figure I might as well take advantage of the situation and do some knife touring while on the road, and I would love to meet you guys in person. One of the reasons I insisted on driving was so I could do just that; indulge my knife addiction along the way both coming and going, and hang out with other knife people, (I'm the only knifeaholic I know of around here, so it gets kinda lonely).

Tell Donnie I'll need a beard apron, (wouldn't want to set fire to my face ya know), but would love to pound some steel with him and talk knives with both of you.

At this moment it looks like sis will be released from the hospital on March 21, (she's been "in" since Nov 2015), so I plan to be in ATL by the 20th, (leaving CA around 14th-15th). What happens after that is of course dependent on her condition, I will stay as long as I am needed. However, once she is stable I will want to wander, so watch out for an old furry guy driving a station wagon, it might just be me!

Thanks for the offer, I will stay in touch.

Jan Carter said:

Syd,

Hey, check your route.  We are just about 2 hours above Atlanta in Hiawassee, Ga.  I know Donnie would love to have you come play on the forge and anvils with him!  AND, the guest room is attached to the knife shop LOL

Hit TN first, we are about 2.5 hours from SMKW and then Just 2.0 south of us is Atl!  Donnie says come on!!

Done, very much looking forward to it. We'll figure the when of it later, right now I just gotta get there.

Sis can't afford home health care, so I am it as far as that goes, but I don't need to be back in CA until August, (grandson's 2nd birthday), so I should find some time for a visit along the way. Wouldn't it be a kick if I got to attend the Blade Show in June? (Though I dread going through a southern summer...been there, done that....no thank you, but I will stay that long if I have to).
Jan Carter said:

Hit TN first, we are about 2.5 hours from SMKW and then Just 2.0 south of us is Atl!  Donnie says come on!!

I've been less than impressed with Bear & Son. For a few dollars more you can get a top notch knife by Case. For several dollars less you can get better quality imports from Rough Rider, Schrade, and even some Frost Brands. I think Bear does a better job with fixed blades but again they have problems with fit & finish.

Sure, part of this is they make knives to use but so does Buck and Colonial sand they often have knives of comparable prices and quality with better fit and finish.

That said, I do have some older Bear Five inch toothpicks and a BSA Barlow that are pretty decent.

That is the consistency part I was talking about Tobias.  When it is good it is good but fit and finish are not always reliable

Always a pleasure to hear from you Tobias, and as always I have to agree. The store I got this from also had Buck, Gerber and Case knives, (as well as various Frost brands), but even with the discount I was after, most of those would still have cost more than their lowest online price, so that made the B & S models the best deal of the day. This knife only had one issue that I could find, namely a grindy opening spear blade, but after working some Frog Lube down into the joints that cleared up nicely, and it meets most standards of good fit and finish that we look for in US-made knives. That all being said, I view this knife as lacking a certain stylish flair that other US-made knives, especially Case knives, have. It doesn't have the baby-bottom smooth feel of a Case, the curves of a Buck, or the modern flair of a Gerber. I think of it as just a regular average knife, nothing fancy, just as you said, a "user". Of course, if it were more stylish & finely finished it would be priced higher like it's other US-made counterparts, so in my world getting a US-made knife at such a decent price makes it worthwhile. I don't use my Case or Buck knives as often for fear of possibly dinging them up, not so this knife. I'll make it a daily "user" and won't mourn it like I would some of my other knives if it's damaged. From that point of view it will fill it's niche in my collection very nicely.

Tobias Gibson said:

I've been less than impressed with Bear & Son. For a few dollars more you can get a top notch knife by Case. For several dollars less you can get better quality imports from Rough Rider, Schrade, and even some Frost Brands. I think Bear does a better job with fixed blades but again they have problems with fit & finish.

Sure, part of this is they make knives to use but so does Buck and Colonial sand they often have knives of comparable prices and quality with better fit and finish.

That said, I do have some older Bear Five inch toothpicks and a BSA Barlow that are pretty decent.

Last of a Dying Breed: Bear & Son Won't Give Up on Knife Business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1xTQfjSwM

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by