Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

In this discussion forum, we'll be reviewing a variety of popular Benchmade knives. These reviews will cover not only statistical data, but actual life use as well. Though I'm a big Benchmade fan, I'll be very direct and candid about each of the knives that I review. Benchmade, as a GREAT company as it is, isn't perfect...and while I'm sure to point out many positive aspects of the knives, you can also count on me to point out any deficiencies that I see and experience. Additional feedback by the members of this group will also provide a valuable broad-base for those interested in Benchmade's product. So join us as we take a hard look at products produced by one of the world's premier knife manufacturers!

Views: 17394

Replies to This Discussion

A serious knife fan should immediately recognize the name "Warren Osborne". This talented designer has created some of Benchmade's most popular platforms. Today, we'll be taking look at one of the longest-running BM Osborne collaborations in the company's history, the 940:

Osborne 940

* Blade Length: 3.40"
* Blade Thickness: 0.115"
* Blade Material: S30V Premium Steel
* Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Reverse-Tanto, Ambidextrous Thumbstuds
* Handle Material: Anodized Aircraft Aluminum
* Weight: 2.90 oz.
* Clip: Black Reversible Tip-up
* Lock Mechanism: AXIS-Lock
* Overall Length: 7.87"
* Closed Length: 4.47"
* Sheath Material: Sold Separately
* Class: Blue

BLADE: The Modified Reverse-Tanto blade design is far-and-away this knife's strongest trait. The shape is absolutely ideal for all types of cutting; draw, slash, push and pierce. The moderate size of the knife precludes it from being used to "chop" (which is a task best suited for fixed-blades anyway). Additionally, the blade shape is particularly appealing on an aesthetic level; it looks unique. To make this even better, Benchmade used S30V steel. Some people think that this current "darling steel" is mostly hype; I can assure you that there is PLENTY of reality behind the hype. S30V really is "that good". Correction; it is that GREAT. I have yet to experience a "better" knife steel. Ever. And I've had experience with most of the ones currently available. It sharpens surprisingly well...in spite of it's toughness. It isn't brittle like some other steels and seems to have just enough "flex" in it to provide serious durability. For those wondering, my knife has worked flawlessly on rope, twine, plastic cord, 3/4" hose, paper, cardboard, multiple layers of duct tape, wood and a variety of fabrics.

HANDLE: The handle material on the 940 is Anodized Aircraft Aluminum. Over the years, this knife has been produced in a variety of different colors; mine has the interesting shade of green shown in the photo. The handle looks as if it could easily get "slippery when wet". Surprise! It doesn't. Somehow...during the finishing process, Bendhmade arrived at a method that actually makes the handle quite "grippy". The best word to describe how the handle feels; "chalky"...without the mess or weird dust residue on your hands. It works very well. The overall knife design is certainly sleek and the handle supports this concept. Mr. Osborne added a welcome "custom" aesthetic with a blue-titanium back-spacer. This is a subtle facet...but one that adds a lot to the knife's "Second Kind of Cool". As would be expected, the handle materials play a very significant role in the knife's super light weight (2.9 0z.). I do have to hand out a "knock"; there really isn't any thumb-jimping provided on the spine of the handle (or blade). Yes, there is a "slight" bit of ridging...but that serves only an aesthetic function. Last, but certainly not least, the knife features Benchmade's uber-cool Axis lock. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a better locking system for folding knives out there. As expected, it works FLAWLESSLY.

PRIMARY USE: This knife's sleek design makes for an interesting hybrid of gentleman's folder and EDC. In a pinch, it could perform some light duty tactical (but I wouldn't expect more than that...which is unfortunate because the blade shape is perfect for it!). The knife is rather elegant looking...and while medium-sized, it's beauty seems to overcome sheeple's ignorant fear of sharp objects (including minds). Frankly, I haven't used a knife that works better for typical EDC than the 940. Ever.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Depending upon what rings your "bell", the 940 red-lines on the Second Kind of Cool scale. If you always wear 5.11 tactical pants...maybe not...because the handle is too loudly colored to fit the kind of "subdued" appearance required when doing a tactical gig. In my eyes, that strange green colored handle...with it's blue titanium back spacer is mega-cool. Kind of "sports car" cool. Maybe it doesn't give you that kind of vibe...but it is unarguably unique looking. Overall, the knife feels "awesome", functions extremely well (the Axis lock is, at least in my book, the "coolest" locking mechanism), has a very unique blade shape made out of hi-status steel and just looks smoking hot.

OVERALL TAKE: The 940 design has been in Benchmade's offering for many years...and with good reason. It is so well designed as to have that kind of "staying power". Certainly not a heavy-duty folder by any-stretch, it is extremely well made...as in the "pass on to your next generation" kind of build quality. It works magnificently for EDC tasks. Candidly, the only real problem with this knife is it's lack of functional jimping on it's spine. If Mr. Osborne addressed that little problem, the 940 might just be totally flawless; yep...just that good a knife.
Love the pic. With the reflection of the Benchmade bag off of the blade, it looks like the blade is transparent. Love this knife but just wish the blade was a little bit wider from spine to the edge.

Given that I reviewed the 940 above, it seemed only right to introduce you all to the Benchmade 943. Both knives share the same...as in "identical"...handle design. They also share the same material types. In fact, the only difference...aside from handle (and spacer) colors, is the shape of the blade. While the 940 features an absolutely superb reverse-tanto concept, the 943 features a much sleeker modified clip point. Personally, I find the 943 more effective at opening mail and packages than the 940. In this regard, it could...perhaps...be argued that the 943 is a more effective EDC knife. To my eyes, it evokes a little more traditional "gentleman's folder" feel than the 940. All-in-all, the 943 is a superb knife in every way.

By the way...I misspoke (miss-typed?) something in my review of the 940; I stated that it had an anodized blue back spacer. In fact, the color the spacer is more of a purple (or bluish purple?). The 943...with it's black handle...has the anodized blue back spacer. This provides an exceptional aesthetic touch!

Warren Osborne is one of the more prolific designers to work with Benchmade over the years. The current product lineup features several collaborative models. Generally, Warren's work is described as having a distinctive leaning towards "gentleman's folder". While some of his designs withstand hard use applications, all feature this readily-identifiable aesthetic to them. Today, we'll be taking a good look at one of great examples of Warren's general design approach; the 930 Kulgera.

930 Kulgera

* Blade Length: 3.60"
* Blade Thickness: 0.115"
* Blade Material: S30V Premium Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 58-60 HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Drop-Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 3.00oz.
* Clip: Tip-up Reversible Silver Split Arrow Clip
* Lock Mechanism: AXIS-ASSIST Lock
* Overall Length: 8.00"
* Closed Length: 4.40"

BLADE: The 930 Kulgera features a Modified Drop Point blade. In some regards, it seems a little influenced by the spear point shape. Aesthetically, this is a beautiful and very practical blade design. The swedge provides a nice definition to the top of the blade...flowing from a flat crown at roughly 1/3 of the way to the handle. Unfortunately, this crown isn't jimped...which means that we give up a little bit of fine control over the blade. Given that this is more of a gentleman's folder than hard-user, the absence of jimping isn't a huge detraction. The steel used for the Kulgera's blade is S30V. Seems a little overkill on this somewhat smaller-mid sized knife...but given the design's overall "vibe", perhaps the inclusion is justified (added "coolness"?). As for practical use, the Modified Drop Point shape works wonderfully on most EDC tasks. If the knife is applied to tasks proportionate to it's relative size, it works perfectly. The finish on the blade is very nice; Benchmade gave it just the right level of polish and the steel feels eerily "smooth-soft" while the appearance is almost one of "liquid steel". Pretty amazing, really. One of the nicer things about Osborne-designed Benchmades is that they usually sport a remarkable level of detail; take a gander at the Kulgera's thumb stud. Sweet! Works perfectly for deploying the blade...and, colored in Black Nickel, it provides a nice visual point of contrast.

HANDLE:The handle material on the 930 Kulgera is a smoothly worked multi-colored G10. The general contour of the handle is well-suited to the organic shape of the human hand. If just flows from the palm towards the blade. The G10 displays a beautiful black and blue coloration. Overall, I'd describe the color as being more blue than black; the black streaks seem to highlight the blue. Very attractive. The handle does have steel liners. Oddly, they protrude from the G10 and can become uncomfortable when the knife is applied to a cutting task that actually requires the user to exert a little bit of pressure into the blade motion. That statement made, the polished steel liners provide some nice aesthetic contrast for the G10. It would seem semi-criminal not to incorporate the uber-cool Axis Lock into such a slick knife; Benchmade must have realized this early on...because the Kulgera sports this absolutely infamous locking system. We're talking super slick...and take note; the Axis Lock hardware is Black Nickel. Very cool looking!

PRIMARY USE: The 930 Kulgera is clearly a gentleman's EDC knife. While the materials used in it's construction are extremely well suited to hard use, the knife's design is obviously geared to light-duty EDC. Ideally-sized for suburban and office environments, the Kulgera opens mail and packages, cuts string, smaller rope, tape, fabric and cardboard with simple efficiency...all while looking very, very cool. This knife is purposely designed to make you look twice; it is a real "beauty"...and as such, is highly unlikely to disturb sheeple. Quite handsome...and very polite. Still...if you look closely at the Kulgera, you just may see a little "something else" and will likely agree with my next statement; the Kulgera could "step up" in a defensive encounter. Given the blade's length and shape...and the fact that the handle actually "fits" the hand nicely, if the Kulgera needed to be brought forth in defense of it's owner, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it would serve that need fairly well. So guess what? The Kulgera isn't just another pretty face!

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Benchmade really seems to understand what makes knives "cool". When it comes to the "Second Kind of Cool", the Osborne-designed knives just seem to have it in spades! Warren has that special "artist's eye" for designing a knife that will make collectors go, "Now that is smoking hot!" So...yes, I think that the 930 Kulgera is...at least aesthetically...one of the coolest Benchmades "ever".

OVERALL TAKE: The 930 Kulgera is a long-standing Osborne-Benchmade design for the most obvious of reasons; it looks "smoking hot", works very well...and, surprisingly, isn't outrageously priced. As a user-knife, it is quite good...but many other knives will outperform it for a little lower price. As a "collectible" knife, it simply is a "must, must, must-have".

Today we'll be taking a look at yet another interesting Osborne-Benchmade collaboration; the Rift 950 model.

950-1 Rift

* Blade Length: 3.67"
* Blade Thickness: 0.114"
* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 58-61HRC
* Blade Style: Reverse-Tanto; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Handle Material: Sculpted G10
* Weight: 4.80oz.
* Clip: Tip-up, Black Split-Arrow
* Overall Length: 8.27"
* Closed Length: 4.60"
* Class: Black

BLADE: One of the Rift's most defining features is it's Reverse-Tanto blade shape. Presumably inspired by the Reverse-Tanto blade on the Osborne 940, the 950 takes this absolutely superb shape and sizes it UP! Where the 940 is a gentleman's EDC knife, the Rift broadens the blade significantly and in so doing, enhances overall cutting power. While I appreciate the "broadening" that Osborne and Benchmade decided to apply to the Rift's blade, I'm shocked that they didn't make the steel a bit thicker. At only .114" thick, it is a bit on the thin side for this particular blade design. On one hand, the thinner steel reduces resistance when cutting through certain mediums. On the other hand, it reduces the torsional stress that the knife can endure in a tactical application. This last point is important, given that this blade comes from Benchmade's Black class (predominantly aimed at LE and Military application). Unlike the 940, the 950 takes a small step down in blade steel; it is forged out of 154cm. Personally, I've had nothing but great results with 154cm...so the "downgrade" doesn't bother me; however, I have to acknowledge that the "hype" behind S30V is very well justified (it is the best knife steel that I've personally used). Sadly, Osborne & Benchmade failed to work spine jimping into the design; while not the biggest mistake that could be made, the absence of this feature makes the knife a little less controllable. The general size of the blade is ideal and the thumb-stud deployment method works slick as the proverbial whistle. A+ in that department.

HANDLE: The handle material on this knife is a sculpted G10 (black and gray in coloration). The "sculpting" of the G10 provides decent "gription" and the Rift is relatively sure in the hand. I use the term "relatively" because...at least in my hand...the handle is a little short. In my estimation, the handle should have been at least another 5/8" longer. As it stands; the Rift is only a 3.25 finger knife in my hands. Again, this knife is supposed to be designed for tactical application (Black Class). The short handle is a serious design flaw when it comes to real-life application. Warren Osborne is mostly an EDC/Gentleman's folder type of designer...so his not recognizing this problem for what it is...isn't all that surprising. HOWEVER, it is surprising that the Benchmade team didn't see this and make the necessary adjustments prior to production. This is really too bad; the core handle design has decent "thickness" and general shape; it's just too short. In any event, the Rift sports the Axis-Lock. This system is simply fantastic...to the point of possibly being the best folding lock system ever invented. Which reminds me; Knives Illustrated had a nice article in one of their 2009 issues (November, I think). In that issue, they tested the lock on several "tactical" knives. The Rift was one of the models included in the testing. The tests were brutal...to say the least. The Rift's Axis-Lock passed with flying colors.

PRIMARY USE: As I've mentioned above, the Rift is a Black Class knife. While anybody can buy one, the design and general "target market" of Black Class blades is LE/Military. The length and breadth of the blade are perfectly suited to a tactical application. The relative thinness of the steel detracts from this purpose. The handle is too short, though otherwise fine. Candidly, I think that the Rift is absolutely mis-classified; it is an EDC-not-tactical knife. It belongs in the Blue class. For me, the Rift won't ever make it into my tactical lineup; but it works WONDERFULLY for general EDC.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Well...lets see here. The Rift certainly looks very cool. The Axis-Lock is undeniably "super cool". The Reverse-Tanto blade shape is crazy cool. The handle would be very cool if it weren't so short. The coloration of the knife is pretty "cool" too. The overall build-quality of the Rift is very, very cool. I really like the overall rakishness of the design.

OVERALL TAKE: Ok...time for a "bottom line". I'm a big fan of Warren Osborne. I'm certainly...definitely...a Benchmade addict. Unfortunately, the Rift is a "miss" for me. There are just too many obvious mistakes in the design for this to win me over. The thinness of the blade argues it's "trying to be burly" tactical classification. The lack of spine jimping on the blade is a small...but relevant detraction. The shortness of the handle tips the scales...the wrong way. In the end...in spite of very cool aesthetics, the awesome blade shape and superb build quality...the Rift just doesn't make the proverbial cut. Fortunately, if Benchmade is listening/reading any of this, the serious flaws in the Rift CAN be remedied. The corrections needed are very clear and would likely improve the overall marketability of the knife:

A) Thicken the blade (which will increase the thickness of the entire knife).
B) Add some spine jimping to the blade. Frankly, this might not be necessary depending upon how the handle is fixed. For me, the current "shortness" of the handle tends to force my thumb up on the spine of the blade.
C) Lengthen the handle by 5/8" (technically, I'd like 3/4"...but that may be a bit much for some).

Do these things and the Rift can be a real home-run. Leave things alone and we've got "just another knife trying to take advantage of the currently-popular tactical trend".

Today we'll be taking a look at one of Benchmade's NEW for 2010 products; the Bone Collector folding knife.

15020 Bone Collector

* Blade Length: 3.36"
* Blade Thickness: 0.125"
* Blade Material: D2 Tool Steel
* Blade Hardness: 60-62HRC
* Blade Style: Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb Hole
* Weight: 5.59oz.
* Clip: Tip-up, Black Steel, Reversible
* Overall Length: 8.20"
* Closed Length: 4.84"

GENERAL INFORMATION: This knife, new for 2010, is primarily targeted to the Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors and Collector portions of the market. Quoting from the text on the package; "Benchmade's Bone Collector line celebrates the culture of the hunter; the Brotherhood of sportsmen that have true passion for the game, the land, and the lifestyle. Designed in collaboration with Michael Waddell, these knives and edged tools are built for performance in the field. Are you ready for the Brotherhood?"

BLADE: For avid Benchmade Addicts, a close look at the shape of the blade should remind you of another Benchmade knife; the Griptillian 550HG. Though the shape is designated as a "drop point", there is certainly a little sheepsfoot pattern influence in there. Like the aforementioned Grip, the Bone Collector has thumb holes for deployment. The blade is 1/8" thick D2 Tool Steel. In some circles this may prove to be a point of contention...since D2 can be hard enough to border on "brittle". Personally, I have several knives in D2...multiple Benchmades and other brands as well...both folders and fixed blades...and I've never had a single problem with any of them. Some people may not like the thickness of the blade; personally, I love it. This is a good USER design...and for me, thicker blades work better in the Great Outdoors. The spine of the blade is not jimped...and normally, I'd consider that a detraction...but not on this knife. Keep reading and you'll see why...

HANDLE: The design team at Benchmade certainly had their minds well-focused when working on the Bone Collector's handle; they went with sculpted G10 (a couple of different color configurations are available; mine is in the layered black and green). I love sculpted G10; it provides some of the best "gription" currently available. Before we go on...take a hard look at the photo. Notice anything "familiar" about it? Yep...we've seen that handle shape before...though in aircraft aluminum. Looks like the design staff borrowed something from the Presidio (which happens to be one of my all-time favorite folding knives!). I mentioned that the lack of spine jimping wasn't a problem; that is because the Presidio handle shape provides a very adequate place for the thumb! The up-swoop of the handle does have some jimping on the steel liners underneath the G10 scales. For me, this handle shape works perfectly. Due to the combination of steel liners (skeletonized), G10 and closed length of 4.84", the Bone C0llector is weighted on the handle side. I like this; it feels "good". The knife has tip-up orientation and the blackened steel pocket clip works very well. Last, but certainly not least, the Bone Collector features the Axis locking system. If you've read any of my previous Benchmade reviews, you'll know how I feel about the Axis-Lock; it is magnificient!

PRIMARY USE: The 15020 is certainly designed as an Outdoorsman's folder. That said, if you don't mind the slightly heavy weight of 5.59 oz., it makes a decent "larger" EDC as well. For those of you that like the design, but don't want the size or weight, good news; Benchmade makes a little brother to this...the 15030 (Mini Bone Collector). The size of the knife shrinks to 7.08" overall while the weight drops to 3.46 oz.; certainly idea for EDC! D2 certainly performs far beyond the typical uses you will encounter; both outdoors and as an EDC. The blade shape accommodates a variety of cutting applications quite well. The drop point/sheepsfoot hybridization means that it isn't the best tool for piercing tasks.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: If you like the Griptilian design, this knife will likely appeal to you. If you like the Presidio platform, again...this knife will probably appeal to you. I like both; so the knife certainly appeals to me. Aesthetically, the Bone Collector really is pretty darn cool! It seems to be pulling in very defining aspects of EDC, outdoor and tactical designs. Normally, that would sound like an "impossible combination", but this ambitious design actually works. The color combination on the G10 gives the knife an interesting look...with the sculpting enhancing that strength. The logo on the blade adds a subtle element of class. Even the artwork on the packaging is interesting. Whether choosing this knife as a "user" or simply as an addition to your collection, the Bone Collector definitely rates highly on the Second Kind of Cool scale.

OVERALL TAKE: If you've read this far, you'll have already determined that I am quite fond of the Bone Collector. I actually have the full size 15020 AND the Mini (model #15030) and really enjoy both. As indicated above, the blade shape doesn't work well for piercing tasks, but other that that...it's a workhorse. In my opinion, this knife is one of the better Benchmade releases of all-time. Yes...it's that good. Some might argue that the design team wasn't particularly "creative" with this knife (after all, it borrowed...STRONGLY...from a couple of already successful platforms). Candidly, I think that this is a fair criticism. However, in the end, the knife is every bit as "cool" as the blades from which it gained influence...so while "creatively lazy", this is all "upside" for the person that buys one. Go figure...
I wanna know if anyone has used a Snody Juju for general purposes.I know it will work for self defense but what about other regular tasks?? I must add a review for my 910s Ellishewitz Stryker I got in 1998-99.I have cut thru copper wire,pryed/breached a door(my teacher locked us out,I got us in),opened multiple boxes,opened bottles of pop or beer,carved,stabbed,thrown,and other things no folding knife should ever have to endure.It also saved my life as I was falling down a 75deg. angle cliffside right near Golden Gate Bridge!I had no other choice but to stab it into the rocky soil with all my might as I slipped towards the jagged bottom.It stopped me and took no major damage to the blade.I do not do some of these things menti0ned above because I have more respect for a knife like this.But I would and have trusted my life to my "Trusty Rusty"910s Stryker.Have a knife day!

890 Torrent

* Blade Length: 3.60"
* Blade Thickness: 0.10"
* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
* Blade Hardness: 58-61HRC
* Blade Style: Modified Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Handle Material: G10
* Weight: 3.50oz.
* Clip: Tip-down Carry clip
* Lock Mechanism: Locking liner with Nitrous Assist
* Overall Length: 8.20"
* Closed Length: 4.60"

BLADE: The 3.6" modified drop point on the 890 is made from 154CM steel. While not quite the equal to S30V, this material works exceptionally well for just about anything most of us would ever use a knife for. As is the case with most Benchmade knives, the fit, finish and polish on the blade is very well done...even to the extent of giving this particular model a little "extra" intrinsic value. The blade shape is very graceful; featuring just the right mix of point, belly and edge. Unfortunately, the blade's spine doesn't have any jimping on it...which seems an odd thing to not include on a knife this size (medium folder) and price (moderate). The blade is deployed by use of the ambidextrous thumb-studs and Nitrous Assist mechanism. Once the blade is pushed roughly 30 degrees out of the handle, the Nitrous mechanism finishes the deployment quite handily. This system also functions nicely to retain the blade in the handle while in the closed position. The thumbstuds on the knife have a little bit of "volcano" shape to them. Fortunately, the terracing on the studs is well done and with the "help" of the Nitrous Assist technology, the deployment on this knife is efficient.

HANDLE: The handle material on the 890 is smoothly-machined G10. While I'm describing these as "smooth", the finish on them is very matte and they actually end up having a pleasantly "tacky" feel to them. This provides the user's hand with a surprising amount of "gription". I happen to like the way that Benchmade "smoothly" machines their G10; it has a rather unique and attractive look. Underneath the G10 scales are stainless steel liners...and the locking liner mechanism. If you've read my previous review of the Dejavoo platform, one of my complaints was that the locking-liner was too easily taken out of the locking position. The version on the 890 appears to be similarly executed, though it doesn't come out of position nearly as easily. Still, as locking-liners go, this system is a little too iffy to make me feel confident during "heavier" cutting tasks. Yep... a "knock". As long as we are on the subject of liners, I might as well add a "kudo"; if you look closely at the photo, you'll see that the Torrent has a lanyard hole area that can function as a glass-breaker or defensive semi-lethal impact device. Also, the ridges on the rear third of the handle provide a little extra purchase for the user's hand. I like the way these features feel and work. Well, done Benchamde. Ok..there was a "plus" and now I'll give yet another "knock"; there isn't any jimping on the spine of the blade or the upper spine of the handle. The knife is just big enough that these control-devices SHOULD be present on this knife. Benchmade...was this your oversight or that of Steigerwalt? Well, the "knocks" don't stop there. They don't? Nope. Benchmade...or Steigerwalt...decided to make this a tip-down clip orientation. Perhaps they did this because of the Nitrous system? Regardless, the bottom line is that I don't like it when knife manufacturers force me to carry a knife a certain way. I want options and this knife should have had them.

PRIMARY USE:
Predominantly, I consider the 890 Torrent to be a medium-sized folding EDC blade. While it is large enough to perform tactical chores, the liner lock and lack of jimping make the Torrent an "iffy" knife for defensive challenges. Those same deficiencies also make it the "wrong" selection for heavier duty EDC tasks. The 890 will handle light-to-medium duty EDC chores just fine. In fact, the blade shape works wonderfully for those things. All Benchmade would have to do to expand this knife's capabilities is to jimp the blade's spine and firm up the locking liner. Do that...and the decently-sized Torrent's horizon's expand...exponentially.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: If you've read this far, you've seen me hand out a series of "knocks" on the design. However, when it comes to "Second Kind of Cool", the Torrent does quite well. The flow/form/shape of the knife is undeniably beautiful. The workmanship is quite good. The blade feels exceptional in the hand. The smoothly-machined G10 is just "cool". The polish on the blade...it's profile...all extremely attractive. The unusual liner/pommel treatment is also "cool". As a "collectible" goes, the Torrent rates in the top 20% of the knife population. So, "cool"? Yep; very "cool". The Nitrous system is "cool" too. Smooth, quick, and yet controlled.

OVERALL TAKE: The 890 Torrent ends up being a bit of a "mixed result" knife. Beautifully shaped, the knife begs to be touched. The balance and "feel" are really "excellent"; so it feels as good as it looks. The Nitrous system makes deploying the blade "fun"...and you want to do it over and over and over again. Is this knife a workhorse? No, no, NO. It is NOT. Could you try and use it as one? Well, it's your hand and your fingers...so do with them what you will...but I like my hands and fingers and won't risk them like that. Am I saying that the knife is "dangerous" for the user? Well, NO...not if the user's intelligence is actually "on" enough to think about what they are trying to do before they use the knife to help them in accomplishing that undertaking. So..."bottom line"; beautiful knife to add to your collection. Use a stronger knife for tough tasks. This knife is too pretty to dig ditches...so don't hate her because she's beautiful.
I have a question for you benchmade fellows. I have a new onslaught and love it. I am looking at the larger snody hk folder but cant find a picture that shows how the clip is oriented or if it has a lanyard hole. I like tip up carry. I also like making my own lanyards so it would be nice if it had a hole. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I love this new website! Sam
Hi...the HK Snody that you are referring to is oriented as "tip up" according to the Benchmade web site.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/14210

960 Osborne

* Blade Length: 3.12"
* Blade Thickness: 0.100"
* Blade Hardness: 59-61HRC
* Blade Style: Modified-Drop Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
* Weight: 2.26oz.
* Clip: Reversible Silver Tip-up Clip
* Lock Mechanism: AXIS-ASSIST Lock
* Overall Length: 7.28"
* Closed Length: 4.16"

OVERVIEW: Benchmade's 960 is a particularly long-standing Osborne design. In terms of categorizing this blade, it is a small-medium-sized EDC knife. Like many Osborne designs, the 960 evokes the aesthetics of a high-end gentleman's folding knife and is popular with collectors who favor that theme. Benchmade offers a couple of different variations, though the one we'll be looking at today is the most common version.

BLADE: The 960 features a modified-drop-point blade shape. You can see similar lines on several other Benchmade/Osborne collaborations (such as the 930 Kulgera). In some regards, the shape leans heavily towards spear point...yet there is just enough "belly" to make it particularly effective for most light-duty EDC tasks. The blade is fabricated out of D2 Tool Steel. I'm surprised at the controversy that seems to automatically follow D2. I have several knives in D2 and have not experienced a single failure with any of them. The satin finish on the blade is quite literally, "flawless" and feels as smooth as silk. This attention to detail is a hallmark Benchmade trait that often serves to separate this company's products from those of the competition. At just over 3" long, the 960's blade is ideally suited to smaller cutting tasks that require precision and control. Unfortunately, the knife lacks jimping on it's spine...which would serve to improve overall cutting control. That said, a close look at this knife's "conceptual style" seems to indicate that jimping would ruin the exceptionally clean lines that dominate the prevailing look. So...in effect, we're exchanging a little bit of practicality for some exceptional beauty. Personally, I can live with that. Some of you, though, might see the lack of jimping as an insurmountable shortcoming. The knife features nicely-done ambidextrous thumb studs and, thanks to Axis-Lock technology, deploys slicker than greased lightning (what a strange phrase: how on earth do you grease lightning?).

HANDLE: It is popular amongst custom knife makers to use multiple handle materials within a single design. The 960 employs this concept quite well, using anodized aluminum handle scales (red or silver) with a polished G10 inlay. The scintillating version shown in the accompanying photo features a red/black color combination that echoes the visuals of a popular Italian sports car. To be perfectly blunt, as uber-cool as the 960's handle design looks, it certainly isn't practical. Yes, the shape fits nicely in the hand...but if you need traction, fuggedabowdit, Mario! Again, keep in mind that the design is inspired by gentleman's folders...not tactical...and not hard-use EDC/utility knives. Additional emphasis on "looks" is added via an anodized (blue) titanium back spacer on the rear spine of the handle. This is a nice "custom" touch that really enhances the beauty of the knife. It's impossible to talk about the handle of the 960 without mentioning Benchmade's Axis-Lock system. It works...it works...it works tremendously well! As good...or perhaps better...than any other locking system that I've experienced. And the 960 has it. Coolness personified.

PRIMARY USE: By now, you've likely gathered that the 960 is more about looks than practicality. If you want to handle light-duty EDC tasks in high-style, this is the knife for you. This knife...though it features the exceptional build quality that we've all come to expect of EVERY Benchmade...isn't really a "user". Sure, you can open mail, packages, cut fabric, rope/string, etc. with the 960...and it'll do all that and more quite well. Need to do some hard EDC or tactical? The 960 is simply the wrong knife for those applications (I don't think the design of the knife was created with that in mind).

SECOND KIND OF COOL: The 960 is entirely more about looks than it is about utility. The emphasis is clearly on aesthetics and visual "pop"! And so it should come as no surprise when I say that it is "off the hook" when we're talking about Second Kind of Cool. It looks smoking hot...functions mega-slick...has the Axis-Lock and is just a 10-out-of-10 on the coolness scale.

OVERALL TAKE: The 960 is a collector's piece. If you collect Benchmade knives, simply put, it is impossible for your collection to be "complete" without a 960. No, it's not a user knife. It's not. Yes, it is tremendously fun to fondle and drool over. It feels good; it feels "quality"...it feels like a high-end sports car. It feels like something that you would never want to take 4-wheeling through mud, rocks and the great outdoors.

Today we'll be reviewing one of Benchmade's 2010 knives, the 583-1 Warn Axis-Assist. Founded in 1948, WARN Industries, Inc. is best known for their off-road products. Headquartered in Clackamas, Oregon, WARN designs, manufactures, and markets more than 600 products and accessories for off-road, industrial and commercial users.

583-1 Warn

* Blade Length: 3.66"
* Blade Thickness: 0.134"
* Blade Hardness: 60-62 HRC
* Blade Style: Tanto
* Handle Material: Sculpted G10 with Stainless Steel Liners
* Weight: 5.40 oz.
* Clip: Tip-up, Black Split Arrow, Reversible
* Lock Mechanism: AXIS-Assist
* Overall Length: 8.45"
* Closed Length: 4.78"

BLADE: The 583-1 Warn features a traditional Tanto-shaped blade made from high-quality, super-hard D2 Tool Steel. If you take a close look at the knife shown in the photo, you'll see that Benchmade did an outstanding grind job; each line is very crisp and clean! The blade has an upper swedge that while serving no-practical purpose, adds a very classy aesthetic to the knife.

To be sure, most knife owners are not big fans of the Tanto blade shape. It's very straight lines require different cutting techniques than most users are acclimated to. Conversely, fans of tactical knives...particularly those who also enjoy Japanese blade craft...tend to like the Tanto shape (some people associate it with Samurai and Ninja). In a defensive encounter, the Tanto knife can be devastatingly effective and it's piercing power certainly eclipses that of most other blade shapes. So...are Tanto knives restricted to defensive/offensive applications? Without changing this writing from a "review" to an "article", the answer to that question is "no". In the right hands, these angular knives can serve wonderfully in a variety of EDC and work roles. The very stern lines of the Tanto resemble that of a chisel. The aforementioned resemblance is strong enough that woodworkers can employ chisel-cutting techniques with Tanto knives to great effect. How do I know? Well, after decades of woodworking experience, I can tell you that the Tanto shape works extremely well for me. As for how well the Warn works in an EDC application...well, we'll get to that soon enough.

Ah yes...back to the blade. The 583-1 Warn came extremely sharp right out of the box. At well over 3.5" long, this blade may not be "huge", but it's big enough to handle a host of endeavors quite well. Deployment is managed through two elements; a nicely-located thumb stud and the Axis-Assist mechanism. Simply use the stud to open the blade roughly 30-degrees and the knife's Assist technology will complete the cycle. Benchmade has done a fine job of executing this system; though I'd really like to see some knurling on the dual-thumbstuds (they are just a little too smooth). Speaking of things that need to be improved upon; Benchmade needs to add some jimping on the spine of the blade. Given it's intended application, jimping should have been a real "no brainer" for Benchmade's designers. I suspect that somebody might have been running a little too low on Mountain Dew; the lack of caffeine is the only explanation that I can think of for somebody to overlook something so painfully obvious.

HANDLE: The handle material on this knife is sculpted G10 with stainless steel liners. Benchmade did an impeccable job with the G10 (I absolutely dig it when this material gets "sculpted"; it offers better gription than any other material I've encountered). The handle shape is somewhat of a hybrid between the Griptillian and Presido and works "perfectly" (at least for me). It works well enough that when I have this knife in hand, it almost seems to "grip me back". Nicely wedged between handle scales is a red spacer (G10, I think). It adds an interesting aesthetic contrast to the knife's predominantly understated appearance. The mix of handle materials and shape add to the weight of the knife. If you are looking for something lightweight, this isn't the right knife for you. That said, the Warn is designed for heavier use and you can tell this the second that you give the handle a good examination.

When discussing the Blade, I mentioned the Axis-Assist feature. The "Assist" element works as a deployment aid. The lock is, of course, 1000% Axis and works magnificently. It is difficult to surpass Benchmade's Axis-lock on all levels. It simply works flawlessly. Last, but not least, the knife features a lever lock on the spine of the handle. Normally, I'm not a big fan of such things, but given the Assist deployment on this knife, maybe the little lever lock has a place here.

PRIMARY USE: I discussed the Tanto blade shape of this knife earlier. For somebody who understands how to work with the extraordinarily straight lines inherent to the Tanto-design, the Warn is a wonderful tool. EDC tasks...especially those that involve piercing things (opening bags, packages and envelopes, for example)...are a breeze. This design also works remarkably well for food preparation. Slicing requires a different motion than the typical "rolling cut" commonly used with clip and drop point blades. However, push-cuts are easily accomplished with the Warn. In fact, whittling and other wood-centric applications are made "easier" by the shape of this blade. In a tactical role, the Warn is more than ready to do it's part. Between the blade shape and size, the smartly-designed handle and the Axis-Assist lock/deployment system...the Warn is well suited to answer a defense challenge.

SECOND KIND OF COOL: Relative to the 583-1 Warn, this is the hard part of the review. I like Tanto knives and love sculpted G10; for me, this knife does fairly well in the "Second Kind of Cool" arena. The Axis-Assist system rocks. When the user deploys the blade, it opens with a very impressive "Thwack!" sound that serves as an aural affirmation of coolness. I like D2 steel. The size and general ergonomics of this knife are well thought out. The knife is designed as a "user"...and as such, it's aesthetics are certainly UNDERSTATED. This is one "smart" knife, but she isn't going to win any beauty contests. If you have a penchant for really pretty knives...or if you are D2-challenged, well...the Warn probably lacks enough "coolness" to ring your bell. Sorry, Charlie (or whatever your name happens to be). The Warn is a hard-charging outdoor knife and isn't interested in tripping the light fantastic (dancing, for all you young 'uns).

OVERALL TAKE: The 583-1 Warn is a great, hard-use knife. In general terms, I'd say that it's one of very few Benchmades to really wear that label "WELL". The quality control on this knife is just what we've come to expect from Benchmade; it is freaking "off the charts" tight. The Warn is ideally-sized for most outdoor tasks for which a folding knife is applicable (a folding knife will never be as strong as a fixed blade knife). In a defensive encounter, I'm confident that this knife would perform better than it's owner.

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service