Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Since I'm new to iKC, I believe I posted thisa discussion under the wrong category, so I will try again.

Thanks to those who sent welcoming messages. As I indicated in my profile, I am not a collector. I just have a few knives with some sentimental value to me.

One is a Camco Camp Knife. Quite honestly I do not remember when I got this knife. It was probably when I was a Boy Scout in the early '50s. The knife is not stamped 450 on the blade, so I'm not sure if it is a 450 or 410. Other than the 450 stamped on the blade, I don't know if there is a difference in the two knives. 

The knife has been in my tool box for a long time and occasionally I would use it. The other day I picked it up and realized the bolsters, springs, bolster linings and some of the blades had rusted. I also noticed the handles had shrunk and actually cracked. After cleaning the knife up, I decided to do some research about replacing the handles. That is how I came across IKNIFE COLLECTORS.

After doing a Goggle search, I came across a discussion on iKC by Tobias Gibson in May 2013 about the Camco 450. In  his discussion, Tobias mentions the celluloid handles are prone to shrinking. He further mentions if the knife is in good condition it is a good candidate for re-handling.

After all this, I'm wondering what is involved in replacing the handles? I believe the handles can be pryed off the pins at the bolster ends, but the pin through the bolster linings, side center scales, springs and center scale has been peened on both ends. Would that pin need to be replaced? If so, where can the pin be obtained? Also, where can replacement handles be obtained? I guess I would prefer to keep the knife nearly original, but then I am open to suggestions. 

Any advice on my project will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Johnson 

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jerry,

Great work in letting us know what you have and what your looking to do!  Just to be sure we are all on the same page can you post some pics? I am very glad you found us and yes Tobias is awesome in his research on the Camco's.  In the meantime, this might actually be the info you are looking for.  As to scales, you can get them anywhere, use the ones you have as a pattern and sand them to fit. I might suggest a micarta as they come fairly thin and flat BUT wear a mask when you sand and work with them!!!!! https://popsknife.supplies/collections/micarta-phenolic-handle-mate...

https://iknifecollector.com/group/kniferepairrestorationupgradegrou... 

Jan, 

Sorry I have not responded to you sooner. I've had quite a lot going on. Here are some pics on my Camp Knife.20200522_161329.jpg20200522_161500.jpg20200522_161942.jpg20200522_162102.jpg

As you can see from the pics, I have taken the original scales (handles) off. I found some radius brown jigged bone material for the new scales at Knife Supply. They were reasonably priced (under $10), so I ordered them. However, I never received confirmation of my order, except from PayPal. I have tried contacting Knife Supply both by email and phone with no luck. Just wondering if they are closed due to the virus. So far I have not found any other jigged bone scale material with a radius top and reasonably priced (I don't want to spend a lot of money on new scales). 

Here is where I could use some advice. The bolsters are definitely rounded. If I cannot find radius top jigged bone scales, can I go with flat top ones and shape them to match the curvature of the bolsters. 

Also, I have been advised to take the knife completely apart to replace the scales. This requires a Camillus knife vice to compress the springs, especially when putting the knife back together and installing the rocker pin. I'm wondering if there is another way to install new scales without taking the knife apart. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Johnson

Jan Carter said:

Jerry,

Great work in letting us know what you have and what your looking to do!  Just to be sure we are all on the same page can you post some pics? I am very glad you found us and yes Tobias is awesome in his research on the Camco's.  In the meantime, this might actually be the info you are looking for.  As to scales, you can get them anywhere, use the ones you have as a pattern and sand them to fit. I might suggest a micarta as they come fairly thin and flat BUT wear a mask when you sand and work with them!!!!! https://popsknife.supplies/collections/micarta-phenolic-handle-mate...

Yes a vice is necessary but look at this thread.  It is not a special vice 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
20 minutes ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
20 minutes ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
2 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
2 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
2 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Friday
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John