Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This discussion is all about the knives bearing the Colt brand.  Steve Koontz was instrumental at bring the Colt name to knives made at SMKW.  And while the bulk of the Colt knives are made in China (and some fixed blades inPakistan) Koonts also negotiated a contract with W.R. Case & Sons to have series of dual tang stamp Case/Colt knives for the Made in the USA crowd!

So let's see some Colt knives regardless of where they are made.

I'll start off with this bad boy:  A Colt Buckshot Bone Congress.

CT479

·440A stainless steel blades with reverse frosted master blade embellishments

·Buckshot Bone handle

·Brass pins and liners

·Nickel silver "rampant colt" shield and fancy bolsters

·3-3/4" closed pocket knife

Made in China.

Truly an exceptional build and well worth the $15-$20 you'll pay for it! My pictures don't do it justice.

Views: 1772

Replies to This Discussion

Rough Rider has had some nice series'. I don't believe that anyone has done a nice SawCut bone.

Ya know,, now that I think about it, I can't remember ever seeing an RR w/sawcut scales. Maybe Charles will pipe in here, he has a nice collection of Rough Riders & might know. He has a full set of the "Rifleman Series", (which I was fortunate enough to see in person). Knock knock, Charles; you out there?

I think the Rifleman series had the SawCut bone, as we'll, Syd.
The original series had a simple RR shield. The only thing that turned me off on them was that they all had fluited bolsters, except for the Barlow.

It's funny how an oldster's memory works sometimes, I remember the shields very well but for the life of me I couldn't remember what the scales looked like. I wasn't aware  they originally had regular shields, the only ones of that series I ever saw had the long shields.......shows ya how much I know about RR. I'm mainly a Buck collector, but recently got fascinated with Colt & their uber affordability. Of course I've owned several RR's, but I gifted all but one of those, so I'm not that up on that brand's history.

The RR Rifleman series has what they call gunstock bone scales.  The cuts in the bone are crisscrossed like the checkering on a gun stock.  The shield on the Rifleman series is a rifle, specifically a Model 1873 Winchester rifle.  There is no Barlow in the Rifleman series.  The Rifleman series has ringed bolsters but no fluting.

The the main reason I wanted to collect the whole series was because I have  a Model 1873 Winchester rifle.

You can see pictures of my '73 Winchester here.

http://iknifecollector.com/group/ikc-arsenal/forum/topics/new-membe...

There is another series by Rough Rider called the Long Rifle series.  It has a muzzleloader rifle as a shield.  Some times the two series are confused with each other.

Hiya Charles, it's late back in Bama, glad you piped in at such a late hour. I feel really bad I couldn't remember what the stocks looked like, especially after seeing yours in person. But, you know the story, I guess under the circumstances of that brief look-see, and that whole crazy trip for me, I'm just happy to have remembered the shields. (however, I do well remember a very pleasant meal with a good friend at a rough period in my life, better to remember that than those knife scales).

I think if any of the Rough Rider-type knives, (RR, Colt, Marbles, Steel Warrior, etc), ever become "collectible", it will be the discontinued series in a complete set like yours that will more likely do so. I know it seems implausible that any Chinese knife could ever be collectible, but I saw it happen with musical instruments, and now some discontinued Chinese-made guitars can actually be considered collectible; some Epiphones being one example.

Charles Sample said:

The RR Rifleman series has what they call gunstock bone scales.  The cuts in the bone are crisscrossed like the checkering on a gun stock.  The shield on the Rifleman series is a rifle, specifically a Model 1873 Winchester rifle.  There is no Barlow in the Rifleman series.  The Rifleman series has ringed bolsters but no fluting.

The the main reason I wanted to collect the whole series was because I have  a Model 1873 Winchester rifle.

You can see pictures of my '73 Winchester here.

http://iknifecollector.com/group/ikc-arsenal/forum/topics/new-membe...

There is another series by Rough Rider called the Long Rifle series.  It has a muzzleloader rifle as a shield.  Some times the two series are confused with each other.

I have some RR that have sawcut bone.They also have the fluted bolsters

Anyway, here are some more of my Colt's.

Hi all. We all know by now that Colt is no longer a SMKW house brand. I've noticed one or two former Colt Branded knives now Showing up as Marbles knives. Anyone else notice this. Does anyone els think we'll see more Colt knives show up in the Marbles line or an upscale Rough Rider release?
Believe we will, Toby.
Noticed similar patterns within the three lines, in the past.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service