Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Everyone is welcome to post info on dating and identifying knifes. Charts , pictures anything you have to help members to find out more info on their knifes

Tags: and, date, identify, knife, your

Views: 24625

Replies to This Discussion

This link has some amazing stuff on tangs also Fingers

Stampings of the Cutlery Industry

Joined. I just used this diagram to identify the knife I found this weekend at the local swap as a 1936-37 New York Knife Co., Walden, Hammer Brand, jigged handle, (bone?), pen knife. I'm not sure of the model or frame number, but it was a good find nonetheless. Thanks for pointing me to this group Jan.

Jan Carter said:

Imperial Markings

Posted by Don "Cossack Gearhead" Godard on December 9, 2012 at 21:52

Reply by Brad T. on January 4, 2013 at 15:14

Well, Jan pointed out to me that the knife I described above pre-dates anything associated with Imperial, but it is stamped with a "Hammer Brand" tang stamp nearly identical to the one on the middle-far right of the diagram above. Accordingly, I'm now a little confused as to the age/origins of the knife, so please disregard my post above. Here are closeups of both tang stamps:

The stamp above is on the smaller blade, below is the stamp on the main blade:

So, like I said, disregard what I said in the previous post, and let the tang stamps speak for themselves. I may not know when the knife was made, but irregardless, it was a very good day at the swap meet!

Syd Carr said:

Joined. I just used this diagram to identify the knife I found this weekend at the local swap as a 1936-37 New York Knife Co., Walden, Hammer Brand, jigged handle, (bone?), pen knife. I'm not sure of the model or frame number, but it was a good find nonetheless. Thanks for pointing me to this group Jan.

Jan Carter said:

Imperial Markings

Posted by Don "Cossack Gearhead" Godard on December 9, 2012 at 21:52

Reply by Brad T. on January 4, 2013 at 15:14

Syd,

It was an awesome day!!!

Doing a little research for a member today and ran across some tangs I think need added here

Harrison

Topper and Jureidini

Ellenville tang

colonial

PAL

Richartz,Gebruder & Soehne

Also this iKC discussion should be linked into here

date and identify your knife

Image result for R tang stamp The Torrey Co

Baker tang stamp were from the Phoenix Cutlery Works in Sheffield from 1888-1893 and were possibly sourced from Joseph Rodgers after that

Image result for R tang stamp

Triangle with Arrow inside: Mark of the Izhevsk Arsenal, post-1928 - Russian

Image result for R tang stamp

Needham, Veall & Tyzack Sheffield - RENOWN mark. Was originally the mark of W.Hawcroft & Sons Sheffield.
The complete mark included <vb_highlight>a flying angel with trumpet and trailing <vb_highlight>a banner.

Saw this recently on another forum

Straight Line Stamps

Circle Stamps

Used approximately 1921-1924

Used c 1924-1933

c 1933-1935

c 1935 – 1940

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS