Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This unofficial survey is to determine who has purchased knives on eBay and a brief description of your experience. Would you do it again if you were a first timer? For those iKC members not based here in US what has your experience been using eBay? We are not looking at the seller experience just yet, only buyer. two main questions but fill in other information as needed.

1. Have you used eBay for buying knives?
  2. How often do you buy on eBay?
Results of the poll are being tabulated and we'll post them shortly Thank you for your responses!

Tags: buy, eBay, survey

Views: 656

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Tom, great to hear from you!

Tom George said:
Hi Yes 4 or 5 knives thanks  Tom
Thank you Greg, A definite yes and a frequent shopper!

Greg said:

Yes

I shop every day, and buy

Way too often!!!

I allways look at Ebay before anywhere else to get a feel for the market..

I sell every once in a while.

1. Yes.

2. At one time I was buying quite a few knives off ebay and  have had good luck doing so. I have slowed down using ebay for knives simply because I am now looking for specific knives or better examples of the ones I already have. Over the years, I have obtained some of my very best knives & prices off ebay. There are many good, honest sellers on ebay, but unfortunately also some crooks. If I am interested in a knife through ebay, I ALWAYS ask questions regarding mechanical function and overall condition. I have found that what a seller sometimes doesn't say in his listing is just as important, or maybe more important, than what is actually stated about their knives. I look closely at the pictures and sometimes request extra photos, especially if the pictures are at all fuzzy. If a seller won't answer my questions or is reluctant to send additional photos (within reason), I won't buy from them. 

OFF-TOPIC But may apply to a few and this seems to be where eBay buyers and sellers have congregated.

There were changes to the tax code in the Housing & Economic Recovery Act of 2008 (HERA) that introduced new reporting miscellaneous income reporting requirements. Thank s Nancy!

A lot of people don't realize it but a general statement is that if you sell anything, you likely have reportable income from that sale. If it's personal property and sold at a loss, it's not reportable but the knife you bought 5 years ago for 20 bucks and sold this year for $50 is reportable as a long term capitol gain.

Ms. Pelosi took steps to rectify this "gross under reporting" of income with her contribution to HERA. The way things stand right now, you will receive a 1099-K  Miscellaneous Income (IMPORTANT) if you have 200 transaction totaling $20,000 in a year from any single source, PayPal included.

That only affects a business right? Actually yes & no. If you're pretty active buying & selling it may affect you because your hobby may be a business as far as the IRS is concerned so they want to make sure they get their cut of any "profit" you have. This year is the start and it's going to get worse.

The requirement for 2012 states that a "business" must issue a 1099-K to any source where they spend $600 or more in a year. Seems pretty innocuous on the surface BUT.......... Over the year, you buy $600.01 in hobby supplies from you favorite source or you buy a new $600 computer on-line and you report (or the IRS decides you have) business income. Did you get the sellers tax ID and issue a 1099-K?

Sigh!

Thank you Roger, some great points and hope iKC plays a small role in helping people decide on better, more collectible  knives.

Roger Russell said:

1. Yes.

2. At one time I was buying quite a few knives off ebay and  have had good luck doing so. I have slowed down using ebay for knives simply because I am now looking for specific knives or better examples of the ones I already have. Over the years, I have obtained some of my very best knives & prices off ebay. There are many good, honest sellers on ebay, but unfortunately also some crooks. If I am interested in a knife through ebay, I ALWAYS ask questions regarding mechanical function and overall condition. I have found that what a seller sometimes doesn't say in his listing is just as important, or maybe more important, than what is actually stated about their knives. I look closely at the pictures and sometimes request extra photos, especially if the pictures are at all fuzzy. If a seller won't answer my questions or is reluctant to send additional photos (within reason), I won't buy from them. 

Thank you Larry, changes in US government policy may have an effect on sales, maybe so in your other"hobby".

Larry W. Seale said:

OFF-TOPIC But may apply to a few and this seems to be where eBay buyers and sellers have congregated.

There were changes to the tax code in the Housing & Economic Recovery Act of 2008 (HERA) that introduced new reporting miscellaneous income reporting requirements. Thank s Nancy!

A lot of people don't realize it but a general statement is that if you sell anything, you likely have reportable income from that sale. If it's personal property and sold at a loss, it's not reportable but the knife you bought 5 years ago for 20 bucks and sold this year for $50 is reportable as a long term capitol gain.

Ms. Pelosi took steps to rectify this "gross under reporting" of income with her contribution to HERA. The way things stand right now, you will receive a 1099-K  Miscellaneous Income (IMPORTANT) if you have 200 transaction totaling $20,000 in a year from any single source, PayPal included.

That only affects a business right? Actually yes & no. If you're pretty active buying & selling it may affect you because your hobby may be a business as far as the IRS is concerned so they want to make sure they get their cut of any "profit" you have. This year is the start and it's going to get worse.

The requirement for 2012 states that a "business" must issue a 1099-K to any source where they spend $600 or more in a year. Seems pretty innocuous on the surface BUT.......... Over the year, you buy $600.01 in hobby supplies from you favorite source or you buy a new $600 computer on-line and you report (or the IRS decides you have) business income. Did you get the sellers tax ID and issue a 1099-K?

Sigh!

Hopefully, it's going to be repealed but to me, the scary part isn't what it does to sellers directly, it's the 2012 requirement that buyers issue 1099-K's and using the slippery slope argument, what's next? We can't even buy a pack of gum with a dollar bill because we have to keep a record of EVERY transaction we make? I'm not a conspiracy nut but allowed to play out to what I consider the logical  end result,  I see a cashless society where the government has a record of every penny (or Amero if you listen to the open border advocates) we spend.

Sorry for the soapbox rant but this is no longer the country I went to war for!

1). No

I’d rather see & hold what I’m about to purchase

Hey Larry!!  Your soapbox comments are only a reflection of what many Americans are realizing today.

Thanks

MikeLarry W. Seale said:

Hopefully, it's going to be repealed but to me, the scary part isn't what it does to sellers directly, it's the 2012 requirement that buyers issue 1099-K's and using the slippery slope argument, what's next? We can't even buy a pack of gum with a dollar bill because we have to keep a record of EVERY transaction we make? I'm not a conspiracy nut but allowed to play out to what I consider the logical  end result,  I see a cashless society where the government has a record of every penny (or Amero if you listen to the open border advocates) we spend.

Sorry for the soapbox rant but this is no longer the country I went to war for!

Thank you Rino, good to hear from you. We'll count you as an in person buyer.

Rino Smajo said:

1). No

I’d rather see & hold what I’m about to purchase

I buy and sell knives on eBay. Just bought one a few minutes ago.  I've sold hundreds of knives on eBay and have never had a problem that can't be worked out.  My theory is that if you treat someone the way you want to be treated, then things will work out 99.9% of the time.  I've refunded buyers a couple of times when the package got lost in the mail, and allowed a couple of returns when the buyer wasn't happy with the knife. I'm aware that eBay's feedback system is watered down; compared to what it used to be like, but I'm proud to have 100% positive feedback.

I think that most knife collectors are good, honest people. They just want what they paid for, and so do I.

I've tried other sites, and get frustrated with eBay from time to time, but eBay continues to be my main market.

I'll continue to buy and sell at eBay until something better comes along....

Frank Plant

Thank you Frank for your post, good advice to "Follow the Golden Rule', not sure people even know that one anymore!

Frank Plant said:

I buy and sell knives on eBay. Just bought one a few minutes ago.  I've sold hundreds of knives on eBay and have never had a problem that can't be worked out.  My theory is that if you treat someone the way you want to be treated, then things will work out 99.9% of the time.  I've refunded buyers a couple of times when the package got lost in the mail, and allowed a couple of returns when the buyer wasn't happy with the knife. I'm aware that eBay's feedback system is watered down; compared to what it used to be like, but I'm proud to have 100% positive feedback.

I think that most knife collectors are good, honest people. They just want what they paid for, and so do I.

I've tried other sites, and get frustrated with eBay from time to time, but eBay continues to be my main market.

I'll continue to buy and sell at eBay until something better comes along....

Frank Plant

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service