Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I'm not sure if there is a discussion already or not but show 'em if you got 'em.  Let's see you fishing knives, as in the tools of the tackle box! (Folding, fixed, multi-tools, etc.)

Here's a few of my latest finds. What made them interesting is the bale.

Above knife is made by Sabre (Japan)  It features yellow comp handles and is just over 5 inches closed.  Below is another Japanese made knife. It features the infamous "cracked Ice" plastic pearl handles.  I couldn't pass it up for $9  simply because of the scissors and the bale. It is 4 inches closed.

Both knives in a side by side comparison

Tags: Fish, Knives

Views: 5027

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Tobias.

As the "Bait Knives" discussion was falling flat, I figured I'd just  delete it and combine with the Fish Knives discussion.  As I mentioned in that discussion (for those who didn't see it)  I'm not sure if it is a actual pattern or just a marketing ploy for knife makers and makers of Fishing supplies.  From the looks of the knives being sold as Bait Knives I came up with a definition of :

A utility knife used for cutting bait and other fishing chores. The knife is normally a small fixed blade knife that will fit in a tackle box.  The blade is  three to four inches long. They will sometimes have fish scaler along the spine. Unlike a fillet knife the bait knife has a thicker spine and lacks flex necessary for easy filleting. Other desired attributes are non-slip handles, stainless steel blades,  and a lanyard hole or bail.  These allow for safer use in wet slippery conditions and on boats or shorelines. 

So while we've mostly been seeing folding fish knives, I bet if you collect fish knives, you also have quite a few fixed blade fish knives that would fit the description of a bait knife!

Below is my Camco Fish Knife  which I assume would be a forerunner of a modern bait knife.  While the skinny blade looks like it would be ideal for filleting it is actually too stiff.  The blade is more suited for cleaning and gutting pan fish.

The handle is made of White Delrin  The blade is 440 Stainless, the cross guard is also stainless Steel.  The sheath is leather.

I can "Honestly" say the knife is 8 inches overall with an 4 inch blade.  The blade has a scaler on the spine. A great size for the tackle box and blade that's a s long as those found on five inch folding fish knives.

Cross guard features a beverage can (beer can) opener (above) and a cap lifter (below)

That would actually make a great bait knife on the boat Tobias.  Our definition of the bait knife was always, strong enough for cut bait with a good point for large live baits.  There was always one on the boat good enough to chop bait into chum also

and as I investigate the knives being marketed as biat knives I've decided to edit my definition.  It now reads:

A utility knife used for cutting bait and other fishing chores. The knife is normally a small fixed blade knife that will fit in a tackle box.  The blade is  three to four inches long. They will sometimes have fish scaler along the spine and a sharpened notch for cutting line. Unlike a fillet knife the bait knife has a thicker spine and lacks flex necessary for easy filleting. Other desired attributes are non-slip handles, stainless steel blades, a lanyard hole or bail, and can float.  These allow for safer use in wet slippery conditions and on boats or shorelines.

I'm hooked!  Most are dirt cheap.  I'm starting a collection of the modern ones and will be scouring about for older knives that meet the description.

This is a pretty old style knife currently being made by R. Murphy.  They call it a Fisherman's Pal but you can see the roots of the modern Bait Knife in it.   The pattern has been around for many years; possibly all the way back to the 1800s.  It's basically just a small butcher knife with a serrations for scaling on the spine.

The knife features polished 16 gauge (1.7 mm) high carbon stainless steel 4-1/4 inch (10.8 cm) blade with serrations for scaling and skinning.  The handle is  Bubinga wood.  R Murphy Knives is located in Ayers Massachusetts  and has been making knives since 1850.   Their knives continue to be made In the  U.S.A.   The knives are all pretty much no nonsense simple affairs.

Compare the Fisherman's Pal to the south Bend  Bait Knife below.  Tell me they're not similar.

This is my latest fish knife.  It is a Robeson ShurEdge apparently made for L. L. Bean.  It has good opening and closing snap on both blades.  There is no wobble or play in the blades.

This is the etch on the front of the main blade.

This is the etch on the back of the main blade.

This is the etch on the scaler blade.

Even though the knife appears to have been used little if any, it was grungy when I got it.

Bolsters when I got it looked like this.

After a little Flitz and elbow grease, the bolsters look like this.

When it came the shield looked like this.

After Flitz and elbow grease.

Charles, i love the fly fishing motiffs for blade etches.   An excellent find, my firiend!

wow... that is too cool ! love the flies and fly rod on blades. nice toothpick there ! i wonder how many LL Bean had made? they made some quality knives imo. very nice Charles. nice clean-up job too ! :-)

Charles Sample said:

This is my latest fish knife.  It is a Robeson ShurEdge apparently made for L. L. Bean.  It has good opening and closing snap on both blades.  There is no wobble or play in the blades.

This is the etch on the front of the main blade.

This is the etch on the back of the main blade.

This is the etch on the scaler blade.

Even though the knife appears to have been used little if any, it was grungy when I got it.

Bolsters when I got it looked like this.

After a little Flitz and elbow grease, the bolsters look like this.

When it came the shield looked like this.

After Flitz and elbow grease.

Robeson  1940-1964 - 5" Fish Knife #922407, rosewood, blade etch 'Robeson Shuredge Frozen Heat', 'Robeson Shuredge USA' tang stamp, mirror polished master & fish scaler blades.

I know now days frozen heat would be cyro treated, but did it mean that back then?

Was doing an inventory of my large toothpick and my associated folding fish knives.  I was shocked to find out that my folding fish knives will soon be larger than my collection of scout/camp knives (if original and Genuine Swiss Army Knives are not included in the camp knife count)  

The current count is 67  to 59!    But what really chocked me was the paltry number of Camillus and Colonial folding fish-knives that I own.  Just One Camillus  and Zero Colonial! 

My latest Fish Knife.   This is an SMKW SFO  by Buck.    It's the  2015 Bill Lowen  Fish Knife.  SMKW calls it a Trapper however I think it is closer to a Folding Hunter.

I mean after all the blades aren't your typical trapper blades and th eknife is five inches, closed.

The Wharncliffe blade is a finely serrated scaler that can double as bone saw.  This is more modern concept that is a departure from the much duller old style scalers.A closer look at the Wharncliffe

The main clip blade has a liner-lock.  The clip  has a very interesting blade geometry

While I like the blotchy dye job on the bone I do think they could have done a better job matching the scales on the knife.  This is becoming a bit of nuisance with some of my recent purchaser of SMKW house brands. They really need to address the issue.

Still its a pretty impressive looking knife.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Specifications from the SMKW website

·Stainless steel blades
·Blue smooth bone handle
·Locking master blade
·Nickel silver bolsters
·Brass pins and liners
·Bass shield and custom fish hook bail designed by Brian Wilhoite
·4" Modified clip point blade with signature etch
·4" finely serrated scaler
·Blade widths: 5/8", 5/8"
·Blade thicknesses: 1/8"
·5" closed length