Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

This time of year I start thinking about getting away.  Whether it is just for a weekend or the GEC rendezvous with a week long time frame, when we get away it usually has to do with our love of knives. It is truly amazing, the number of things you can get away and do. 

Here are some ideas I have found.   Tell us what you would do if you could spend the ultimate vacation and celebrate this wonderful hobby. 

Although I have been to some of this area, given the means and time I would love to visit the site of each of those wonderful old knife names in the The Magic Circle of Knives .

Aside from knife shows which you can find in our events area on the front page, there is so much more that you and the family could enjoy!

Arkansas Made: History of the Bowie Knife
Learn about the 175-year history of the bowie knife or Arkansas Toothpick, Arkansas's most famous weapon. The story of Jim Bowie, as well as the history and art of bladesmithing are told in the museum's Knife Gallery.

Jim Bowie - history of bowie knife
Jim Bowie
The exhibit includes more than 100 historical and modern knives and is the official exhibit for the American Bladesmith Society. The knives are from the museum's permanent collection and on loan from knife makers and collectors. Representing the work of master craftspeople who created exquisite weapons, the knives are made with precious metals, gemstones, damascus steel, and intricate designs.

Arkansas and the History of the Bowie Knife
Arkansas was on the edge of the United States in the 1830s, and when Americans thought of a "rough and tumble" place where people might even pick their teeth with big knives, they thought of Arkansas. Washington, Arkansas, was the home of James Black, a blacksmith who became well known for the knives he made. Black's knives were copied by cutlers in Sheffield, England, and sold in America as the "Arkansas Toothpick." As early as 1835, the "Arkansas Toothpick" and the "Bowie Knife" were tied together as two terms used for the knives that were then popular.
A Knife for Jim Bowie
Jim Bowie became known for his ability to fight with knives after the "Sandbar Duel" in Mississippi in 1827. In this fight he used a knife which was given to him by his brother. According to many sources, James Black made a knife for Jim Bowie. Some people called this the first bowie knife, the first knife actually made for Jim Bowie. By the time Jim Bowie died at the Alamo in 1836, the term Bowie knife was established as the name for the knives popular at the time.
Bowie No. 1
The Historic Arkansas Museum acquired Bowie No. 1 several years ago through an auction of the collections of two prominent Texas knife collectors. Bowie No.1 is a knife well known in collecting circles as an important early bowie knife.
Bowie No. 1 - history of bowie knife
Although James Black did not put a maker's mark on his knives, curatorial analysis has determined that Bowie No. 1 was made by James Black.
Compare the Carrigan Knife, with an ownership history going straight back to James Black, and Bowie No.1. Was this the legendary knife that James Black made for Jim Bowie?
Historic knives show the variety of shapes and sizes of knives used in the South during the antebellum period for "defensive purposes." The Civil War became the last hurrah for the bowie knife, as Confederate soldiers, especially, armed themselves for battle. As the war progressed the knife proved of less value than rifles, bayonets, revolvers and the bowie knife lost its status as an important southern icon.
In the 1950s the bowie knife witnessed something of a revival, as Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie were featured in books and movies. A poster from the Alan Ladd movie Iron Mistress is featured in this section of the exhibit.

The American Bladesmith Society (ABS) represents another aspect of the revival of interest in the bowie knife, as artisans preserve the art of the forged blade. The ABS Hall of Fame is a part of the museum's Knife Gallery, and the work of ABS bladesmiths is on display.
Please see our Historic Arkansas Museum knife collection.

We did a discussion on this years ago, so I was just wondering...have you been on a knife vacation or is there one in your future?

Tags: knife, vacationing

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not yet.  However, every time we take a more outdoors focused trip, whether it's a day hike in a state park or a trip to the cabin in northern Minnesota, I find every opportunity to make knife use a part of it (especially fire building, I love fire building when blades are involved!).

A friend of mine keeps bringing up the Blade Show, specifically that we need to go one of these years, though I may have to wait until the kids are in college...  (Not that they're going to be any easier on the wallet at that point!) 

I always made sure that SMKW was on the way from Ok to Myrtle Beach. We usually spent 2 days or so hanging around Pigeon Forge.Last summer I made sure I visited the Sheperd Hills outlet in Branson, Mo. I picked up a nice Case trapper, then gave it for a present to my father in law this past Christmas. I do always check to see if there is something knife related. It's a good thing my family humors me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service