Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

My fellow edged devices lovers.  I need the iKC's help.  I am doing a little research for Knives Illustrated which is a bimonthly magazine about knives of all kinds, tomahawks, swords etc.  As a potential reader about firearms, knives, camping and other outdoor related subjects, what would a magazine cover have to have in order to attract you attention to pick it up.  Once the magazine is in your hands, what articles listed on the cover would cause you to open it up and look inside.  What subject matter would cause you to buy this magazine.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  All impute will be reviewed.  My thanks goes out to you all.

Clint

Views: 2101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clint,

I'd like to see more than one knife on the cover. The reality is that a magazine is much more than the feature article...and if a knife is on the cover, we all assume that is the feature article. On the other hand, if the cover shows other knives (not a lot...probably not more than 3?)...and the knives shown aren't all of the same genre, it might keep potential readers from assuming that the issue leans "all tactical" or "all show" or just one or two things. If the cover shot is all tactical, it may turn slippie fans off...and vice-versa.  Knives Illustrated is a diverse magazine (as opposed to Tactical Knives...which focuses on tactical knives...as it should) and knives with any given issue can cross a broad range of types. So...the covers needs to relay this in a pretty immediate way.

Thanks!

Chris

I agree with Robert, please respect the other guys opinion or this will become the same as other knife forums that I avoid. I collect mostly USA if possible, but I will buy a foreign made one if I like it. I, like Toby am a big fan of Rough Riders.

Chris.....

Thanks for your input.  I will pass this on to Bruce as it is above my pay grade.

Chris Stookey said:

Clint,

I'd like to see more than one knife on the cover. The reality is that a magazine is much more than the feature article...and if a knife is on the cover, we all assume that is the feature article. On the other hand, if the cover shows other knives (not a lot...probably not more than 3?)...and the knives shown aren't all of the same genre, it might keep potential readers from assuming that the issue leans "all tactical" or "all show" or just one or two things. If the cover shot is all tactical, it may turn slippie fans off...and vice-versa.  Knives Illustrated is a diverse magazine (as opposed to Tactical Knives...which focuses on tactical knives...as it should) and knives with any given issue can cross a broad range of types. So...the covers needs to relay this in a pretty immediate way.

Thanks!

Chris

I believe the politics should be left on the sited that creat an atmosphere for their members to argue and disagree.  I kinda like our site without that stuff

Jan...

I agree with you.  For me if you want my professional opinion on anything, I am more than willing to answer your questions in a personal message.  Thanks Jan.

I think the articles should include the do's and do-not' s of the uses of any equipment featured. Many are looking for the best ways to use their equipment and feature some of the favored equipment for the purpose that it is designed to do. I know a lot of folks are looking for the higher end products but we also need to recognize that with the economic times some of the better lower end products need to be discussed. Include articles that relate to all users, young and older readers. Aways some self help articles that lead us to locate items and cover all areas of the country will help. Find writers and editors that relate to the specific articles.

Appreciate your interests of your readers, Thanks.

Bob

I would wholeheartedly agree with the traditional knife lovers … I have been collecting knives for a time, and it is my humble opinion that as a collector "matures", the things that become more appealing are the things that are rarer, harder to come by (read: traditionals, made in natural materials that are scarcer as time goes by). Also, articles on the history of knife manufacturers, how patterns developed and earned a place as practical tools, the relationships between culture, economy, politics, etc, and the knives of a given time  and place would be of interest. Tacticals are great, (I own a number of them myself), but focusing on just Tacticals would tend to make a publication too one dimensional over the long haul. Just my opinions, of course.

~ Edge

I was cleaning out my desk, the other day, and found an issue of KI with an article on a RR lockback.  Article was positive...

Billy Oneale said:

I agree with Robert, please respect the other guys opinion or this will become the same as other knife forums that I avoid. I collect mostly USA if possible, but I will buy a foreign made one if I like it. I, like Toby am a big fan of Rough Riders.

Bob...

Thanks this is good information and input.  I will pass this on to Bruce.  Thanks again.

Edge...

I will put you down with the traditional knife lovers like me.  Thanks.

On Edge said:

I would wholeheartedly agree with the traditional knife lovers … I have been collecting knives for a time, and it is my humble opinion that as a collector "matures", the things that become more appealing are the things that are rarer, harder to come by (read: traditionals, made in natural materials that are scarcer as time goes by). Also, articles on the history of knife manufacturers, how patterns developed and earned a place as practical tools, the relationships between culture, economy, politics, etc, and the knives of a given time  and place would be of interest. Tacticals are great, (I own a number of them myself), but focusing on just Tacticals would tend to make a publication too one dimensional over the long haul. Just my opinions, of course.

~ Edge

J.J.

I have a Rough Rider in the Doctor pattern.  I like the knife and it is well made.

J.J. Smith III said:

I was cleaning out my desk, the other day, and found an issue of KI with an article on a RR lockback.  Article was positive...

Billy Oneale said:

Yep I hear all that, I couldn't stand it so got myself one of those Canal Steet Knifes, Kinda expensive, but used it in the field this year, cut up that deer slick as butter. Held the edge, and just whopped it on the leather and brought it right back. Don't take me wrong, would love to have a Randall. And will get one someday when I catch someone

not knowiing what they have. Just no way I can afford a 400-1000 dollar knive. So I still buy the great easterns, and put them away for my Grand Children. Just in hopes that they continue to do well in the Industry

KENT GABLE said:

KENT GABLE said:

Charles- I ain't exactly a "rich" guy either nor am I getting any younger but about 35 years ago, I began admiring Randall Knives (made in Orlando, FL) because of their fine craftsmanship and quality. They are also forged and handemade, not stamped and admittedly expensive, although prices vary. Finally, after waiting a long time, I was able to afford one that I had long admired and bought it for field use, not as a collector's item. So, natuarally stories of their founder Bo Randall (now deceased) and his various knife designs are of interest to me but I can understand why others could care less?

Many servicemen still wear Randall Knives with pride and they're use in many wars since WWII is well reknown as well as their use as a dependable hunting knife like mine.

I too own and admire Great Eastern knives ( mine is a Northfield Brand) and own a  Canal Street Knife for the same reasons you seem too but these are not exactly cheap knifes either. They are well made knives that exhibit a high degree of craftsmanship and worth every penny in my opinion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service