Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

LET THE NEXT ADVENTURE BEGIN

Some of you are aware that Donnie and I are relocating to the GA mountains this weekend.  My first order of business was to have a wood burning stove installed for heating.  All outside lighting will be solar and by summer I want a small solar oven.  I have decided the electric company gets the very least I can possibly give them every month.  Although I will have a conventional oven and stove I want to do 90% of everything on the wood stove. So....what do you all know about it?  Got any ideas or recipes to share?  I will be using this model but it has the case iron legs not the stand

Tags: Learning, a, cook, on, stove, to, woodburning

Views: 710

Replies to This Discussion

The kitchenette downstairs is being removed, upper cabinets will remain in place.  The washer/dryer and hot water tank will go here

The bathroom is already there and where the washer is now will be a coat closet

Looking through that doorway is looking into what will become the shop it is 10X16

as you can see it will be basic and all we need.  The wood stove will be the primary heating and my hope is the primary cooking also :)

What a great house Jan that is the sort of thing that Sue and I are looking for . We are hoping to move to a smaller place next year . The house above was called Lubriach and I rented it for a while in the 80's , It was good for me but would be a bit basic for Sue. The water came from a plastic pipe in the burn at the back of the house, and the only electric appliance I owned was a radio . The Rayburn heated the house ,well part of it , and gave me hot water and I cooked on it  just a great thing . No big power bills there !!

http://www.ruralking.com/hardware/cooling-heating/heating/wood-heat...

Looks like it would be great for your stove too.

Just remember that the stove heat will dry out your floor joist (overhead), so make sure you keep a "moisture" kettle on most of the time. Otherwise the flooring upstairs will start shrinking, separating and squeaking.

Also you will be standing next to your heat source as you cook, takes some getting used to.

Donnie looks pretty good in that closet, missed a chance there Jan.

Jan, beautiful place to call home! The finest of the finest!!!!

Jan Carter said:

JJ- I want one of those grills!

John, That is exactly what we are going for , basic.  For those that have not seen it here is the house.  600 sq ft upstairs and the same down.  The wood stove will be in the basement as will Donnies shop, a bathroom, the laundry room and a third bedroom/sitting room  http://www.trulia.com/property/45249378-559-Twin-Mountain-Rd-Hiawas...

I now have a wood furnace, but have had several wood stoves that I cooked on. Any kind of stews are easy to do in cast iron dutch ovens. Fried squirrel or venison in cast iron skillet is the only way to go. Really just as simple as cooking on a regular stove. I make my bread on a charcoal fire outside with the dutch oven, I just use a few hot coals on the bottom and you need to put some on top of the lid to get the oven effect. Cobblers are good too.

Some folks I know still use built in propane wall light fixtures too. They are not dependent on electric service.

Jan I have just spotted this little gadget which may prove useful ,

cast iron or aluminum griddle plate will work great for breakfast foods

I have a friend that has this exact stove. It works great. I have not yet cooked on my new wood burning stove but meat and gravy or beans and sausage or venison chili or well you get the idea. We like to cook things long and slow on it. I have wood cut just for the stove, not to be used in other camp fire or heating use. Good luck with it.  

well go figure it is the coldest week of winter up here and I cant use the wood stove LOL

The mason is here this week setting the stone walls behind the stove area.  Sure am looking forward to it all getting done and our belongings showing up next week.

This is a secondary heat source for us when power is out, easily warms the core of the house:

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service