Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

After my latest fishing trip, which I discussed in this group earlier, I decided to look into the design and creation of a handmade multi-purpose hiking staff. There is one on the market made by Crawford that is amazing in its versatility, but it's a little spendy for my blood, so I decided to make my own. YouTube has some good videos on this subject. Does anyone have any experience making one that they would be willing to share with the Group?

Views: 2487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This should to be cool.

Terry Waldele said:
I bought the electricians' drill bit today.  Well, actually I bought a 4-foot extension for one, plus an auger bit to drill with, figuring I can drill from both ends of the staff.  I also got quite a ways along on the recessed "gravity knife" blade that will be hidden in the lower end of the staff.  I'm using an old butcher knife that I bought at a thrift store.  It has a spear point blade that I shortened to about 10-inches and narrowed with my bench grinder so it just fits inside the hollow of the bamboo staff, then I used a deep sea fishing weight that I split down the middle and fastened the two halves on both sides of the blade to give it extra "ejection" weight.  I plan to put two spring-loaded pins in two 2-inch long PVC sleeves spaced abount 6-inches apart on the barrel of the staff, so that the pins will lock the blade in either the recessed position or the extended position and can be released with a stud on the outer end of each pin.  I'll post a photo of it when it's done.
Wow, great engineering on the blade Terry.  Love the addition of the fishing weight to help the ejection.  Can't wait for the photos
Thanks, Jan.  Still working on it, but will post photos when it's done.

Jan Carter said:
Wow, great engineering on the blade Terry.  Love the addition of the fishing weight to help the ejection.  Can't wait for the photos
It better be cool, J.J..  It's turned out to be a monster project.  Getting all the parts to fit just right is taking a lot longer than I expected.   lol

J.J. Smith III said:
This should to be cool.

Terry Waldele said:
I bought the electricians' drill bit today.  Well, actually I bought a 4-foot extension for one, plus an auger bit to drill with, figuring I can drill from both ends of the staff.  I also got quite a ways along on the recessed "gravity knife" blade that will be hidden in the lower end of the staff.  I'm using an old butcher knife that I bought at a thrift store.  It has a spear point blade that I shortened to about 10-inches and narrowed with my bench grinder so it just fits inside the hollow of the bamboo staff, then I used a deep sea fishing weight that I split down the middle and fastened the two halves on both sides of the blade to give it extra "ejection" weight.  I plan to put two spring-loaded pins in two 2-inch long PVC sleeves spaced abount 6-inches apart on the barrel of the staff, so that the pins will lock the blade in either the recessed position or the extended position and can be released with a stud on the outer end of each pin.  I'll post a photo of it when it's done.
Robert, J.B. Weld rules!

Robert Burris said:
I just love projects like this. Have some fun and if it doesn't work out you will have learned from your mistakes. I make my staffs about 8 inches above the elbow. Good luck and safe woods cruising, bring a dog you'll have twice the fun.

Good Morning Terry,

Any progress reports?  I hope the project is going well for you

OH MY GOODNESS I HOPE NOT
I've completed Vers. 1.0 of my hiking staff, which I consider a "work in progress."   I had originally intended to incorporate an OTF spear point in one end of it with spring-loaded pins that would lock the blade open or closed.  Now, after a bunch of builds and re-builds, the spring-loaded pins proved more than I could manage.  So, I changed the design to incorporate the spear-point, but lock it in place manually with a threaded pin screwed into the blade and a knurled locking nut.  The pin travels in a slot in the shaft as the blade goes out and in.  Regrettably, the blade is shorter than I had intended, but the other end is a good sized storage compartment.   I've attached some pics of the staff in its present form.  I know it looks a little rough, but I'm still perfecting it.  Thanks for your interest.
Attachments:
Don't look too shabby to me.
Wow, that is neat, I know you will enjoy it. If you do fall as Don suggested, you have a staff to get up with..lol

Now you just need to find a boar and piss it off enough to make it charge you. Hunting the hardcore way!

Very nice work Terry. I don't know if you wrapped the cord yourself but it's properly done, very neat and tight. The last section of the bamboo near the ground looks a bit rigid to me so you could perhaps consider wrapping that section too over some lacquer for further stabilization.

It would also serve as the "backhand" grip if holding the staff like a spear.

Terry,

That is actually very impressive.  I love the additional of the wrap also.  The blade is really working out pretty good. Sorry the pins didn't work out, they sounded good in the design phase

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service