Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

After my latest fishing trip, which I discussed in this group earlier, I decided to look into the design and creation of a handmade multi-purpose hiking staff. There is one on the market made by Crawford that is amazing in its versatility, but it's a little spendy for my blood, so I decided to make my own. YouTube has some good videos on this subject. Does anyone have any experience making one that they would be willing to share with the Group?

Views: 2487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, J.J.

J.J. Smith III said:
Don't look too shabby to me.
Thanks, Robert.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of treacherous footing, I shall not fall, for my staff shall make me infallable.
Thanks, Halicon.  Great minds think alike, because I was seriously considering wrapping the bottom section just as you suggested. 

Halicon said:

Now you just need to find a boar and piss it off enough to make it charge you. Hunting the hardcore way!

Very nice work Terry. I don't know if you wrapped the cord yourself but it's properly done, very neat and tight. The last section of the bamboo near the ground looks a bit rigid to me so you could perhaps consider wrapping that section too over some lacquer for further stabilization.

It would also serve as the "backhand" grip if holding the staff like a spear.

Thanks, Jan.  I may make the pins work on Vers. 2.0.  I learned a lot on this prototype.

Jan Carter said:

Terry,

That is actually very impressive.  I love the additional of the wrap also.  The blade is really working out pretty good. Sorry the pins didn't work out, they sounded good in the design phase

Great Terry, plans already to make another. Thats how I started out, making one for myself. To date I have made well over 100 staffs and [believe it or not] a couple of magic wands. I have a waiting list of almost 2 dozen most of the time. I'm retired so I can play with things like this. Everyone I make I learn something and so will you. If there is any thing I can do to help you let me know.

Robert, I'm also retired, and I can't believe how much I enjoy working with my hands on projects like this.  When I was working, I never had the time or energy.  Learning is an added bonus.

Terry, I'm working on 4 staffs right now and two of them are gonna be something special. They are in the style that I make. I will post pictures as I finish them for you to see.

Cool!  Robert, I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

BTW, I got some newly cut limbs to use for making staffs, but I don't know whether I should worry about them checking as they dry out (what's the proper word for drying them - seasoning?).  Do you have any advice for me?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Yes Terry, You must let them dry for a while. You can start sanding and cutting on them some but you must wait till the very end to varnish them. They must be dry before you do that. You can do just about everything else but varnish them.

I would be very cautious about sanding and cutting completely fresh lumber. I always dry my harvested wood for at least a year before I use it, I mostly use high-figure wood and burls however (with plenty of wax on cuts) so you can probably get to work on a staff-sized limb much faster.

Hals right the longer you let it dry the better but something that you may be leaving the bark on, I think that either sanding or cutting through it a bit will only help in the drying.
Thanks, Robert!  I appreciate it.

Robert Burris said:
Yes Terry, You must let them dry for a while. You can start sanding and cutting on them some but you must wait till the very end to varnish them. They must be dry before you do that. You can do just about everything else but varnish them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service