Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Here's a place to share resources.

The pics will provide something to aspire too.

Share a little about your kit experience !!!

Mikov

Mikov 

Views: 5867

Replies to This Discussion

Mine's currently somewhere between here & MA .. see tracking status below

??? I'm not sure what happened between the 10/29 & 11/04 .. long wkend ???

I'll take some pics when mine arrives.

@ Dan .. nice lil vice in the bckgnd !!

Yeah! I was checking the tracking every day on mine.  A friend gave me 2 water buffalo bones with a metal forged hook in it, and was as a hand tool for grabbing stuff by the chinese s0 he says.I have no idea how old these are. I was thinking of using this for handle. The bone finish is smooth almost looks like ivory, Vice is a Starrett #160.

It's getting closer ...

Your item was processed through our KANSAS CITY, KS 66106 facility November 06, 2011 at 1:17 am.

.... I'm hoping tomorrow is a good (delivery) day !!!

Nice bone !!!   It'd no doubt make great (ivory like) scales .. that would be sweet !!!

I've the black linen micarta I mentioned earlier .. but I've some nice dense (cherry & walnut) seasoned wood too .. haven't decided for sure yet what to use for scales.

This will be my first “pinned” kit. It could get / should be interesting !!!

I really like the idea of threaded fastners .. ESPECIALLY an 0.125” threaded pivot barrel. BUT .. given my vast level of experience & the critical geometry of the locking system .. I’m going to forego drilling the blade, frames, & bolsters till .. Mikov kit #2.

Knifekits.com  .. among others .. offers the threaded pivot barrels in 0.125" dia.

D ale said:

It's getting closer ...

Your item was processed through our KANSAS CITY, KS 66106 facility November 06, 2011 at 1:17 am.

.... I'm hoping tomorrow is a good (delivery) day !!!

Nice bone !!!   It'd no doubt make great (ivory like) scales .. that would be sweet !!!

I've the black linen micarta I mentioned earlier .. but I've some nice dense (cherry & walnut) seasoned wood too .. haven't decided for sure yet what to use for scales.

I really like the look of the Stag on the first title page of this forum.

Dale,

The more I think of it, I have decided to pin it together also, this way it will be the more "traditional" look. I'm going to try and make that spinning tool that rounds the pins for just the blade pivot, the rest I will finish flat. On the kit the bolsters are spot welded on which I believe they did a nice job of blending them in with the liners. Once I finish this kit, I have decided make my own from scratch. I'll make the liners and bolsters from a solid piece of stock. The design is simple enough except for the square release pin and square cut outs in blade and liner. I'm thinking a tapered round hole would be simpler. As always my mind is getting ahead of the actual time I have to do all this.

Dan .. you need to check out this thread .. note the liner lock !!!

Daniel Howland said:

Dale,

..... Once I finish this kit, I have decided make my own from scratch. I'll make the liners and bolsters from a solid piece of stock. .....

Good read.. Thanks Dale.  Gears are a spinning!!

D ale said:
Dan .. you need to check out this thread .. note the liner lock !!!

Daniel Howland said:

Dale,

..... Once I finish this kit, I have decided make my own from scratch. I'll make the liners and bolsters from a solid piece of stock. .....

Mikov Kits are always available at Mikovknives.com

I've assemble a few and they are as good as the factory made knives. David who runs the website is a great guy. He replies to your mails with in 24 hours. He's located in Europe.  When he can he ships same day or next business day at the latest. Shipments arrive within ten days of shipping.

Check it out you'll be glad you did.

My kit arrived yesterday .. been busy .. will get pics posted soon. Also, the blade grind on mine is also a lil funky .. looks like something moved in a fixture in the grinding process .. perhaps.

Also .. I contacted the gentleman from the Czech Mikov site (David). He reports he's joined iKC, is awaiting approval, & will then join us here .. that'd be cool !!! 

I'll get some pics up as quick as I can ...........................

Hello and thank you all for warm welcome. I am glad you like the knives/kits. As for the grind I saw on previous page - it is an old grind when the blades were made in Mikov. Now they are made outside the factory and look much better. It seems like Josh bought too many of them and still has the old stock (with the old springs as well).

I too have the assembly instructions but they are not really different from the instructions already posted here on on Talkblade.

http://www.mikovknives.com/Images/mikovkit.pdf

Anyway, if you have any questions/requests, post here or email me :)

David

David,

Nice to meet you!  Thanks for the info on the blade and spring.

Your assembly instructions are Great!

Im thinking for my handle combining a foot bone and horn both from a water buffalo, not sure yet how I am going to make these 2 come together, but that is half the fun, just thinking about it.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
6 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
6 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
8 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
9 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
9 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John