Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Here's a place to share resources.

The pics will provide something to aspire too.

Share a little about your kit experience !!!

Mikov

Mikov 

Views: 5867

Replies to This Discussion

Today I started the kit...I decided to just use waterbuffalo horn for the whole handle, just for the sake of time.  First I flattened one side, then I milled the grove for the spring and 3/4 for the flip release thing clearance, my goal is the get the flip lever to a very low profile. It seems to me if it is sticking up it may tend to catch on stuff. Then I did some hand work with the foredom and a cutoff tool. Also I measured the angle where the material meets the bolster, looks like 85 deg.

Daniel Howland said:

Today I started the kit...I decided to just use waterbuffalo horn for the whole handle, just for the sake of time.  First I flattened one side, then I milled the grove for the spring and 3/4 for the flip release thing clearance, my goal is the get the flip lever to a very low profile. It seems to me if it is sticking up it may tend to catch on stuff. Then I did some hand work with the foredom and a cutoff tool. Also I measured the angle where the material meets the bolster, looks like 85 deg.

Daniel Howland said:

Daniel Howland said:

oops, seems like when I reply to discussion, it copies all the pictures again,,, ;)

@ Dan .. I haven't started mine yet .. been busy other schtuff.

Thanks for the detailed pics .. 5 deg bevel on the scale ends .. thanks !! I noticed they weren't sq & was just going to hand sand to fit. Now I can do the 5 deg @ belt sander & then hand sand from there.

Thanks !!! I'm going to need all the help I can get .. once I get started !!!

I need to just "make some time" for this project/toy :)

I can absolutely relate to that! My life is extreme time management.  Right! 5 deg  ..anyways..One other thing I learned tonight on the Mikov, be sure the square pin retracts all the way in before pinning the handle on, I put the handle and liner in my soft leather jaw vice and the square firing pin was not retracting fully. It just required a little file work toward the opening so the spring under the scale would have enough clearance. I am even thinking of epoxying the handles on, this way the epoxy will act as a filler around the bolser so it looks like a perfect fit.

Here's a pic of the kit contents .. as stated .. a collection of parts off the production floor.

I'm still wking on that SS2 ~ Squirt .. it's destined for my daughter ..  Christmas would be nice !!! That's linen micarta scales on it. I managed to tweak the locking mech such that there's a full half blade thickness of engagement in the OUT position and 30~40 % of blade thickness engagement of the lock pin in the IN position. I'd like to add a full backspine of the same micarta material. It does make a stout lil bugger !!!

I have the same anomaly @ the blade grind on mine. I've difficulty believing it was intentional. It is much less pronounced on the side stamped MIKOV over STAINLESS.  

Super Squirt looks good!

Make sure holes for pins on liner are counter sunk, only one side was on my kit.   

The instructions say to file the firing pin and cutout in the blade. For this I use a Dremel Rubber Polisher with my rotary Foredom tool, I also cleaned up the back spring, the edges on one side had raised burrs.

Did some file work on Turkey Day..

Here is an article from Aug 2006 Blade Mag by Wally Hays on file work. I reference this every time I do some.

Attachments:

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service