Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Here's a place to share resources.

The pics will provide something to aspire too.

Share a little about your kit experience !!!

Mikov

Mikov 

Views: 5828

Replies to This Discussion

Wowza .. really sweet Dan !!!

Daniel Howland said:

Did some file work on Turkey Day..

Here is an article from Aug 2006 Blade Mag by Wally Hays on file work. I reference this every time I do some.

Thanks Dale,

I will be away for a couple of weeks, I am training out of state with the company I work for.

D ale said:

Wowza .. really sweet Dan !!!

Daniel Howland said:

Did some file work on Turkey Day..

Here is an article from Aug 2006 Blade Mag by Wally Hays on file work. I reference this every time I do some.

I decided to epoxy the scales on, man this is messy work. Im trying something different, I glass bead blasted the liners thinking this might hold the epoxy better, in the past on metal I would just rough up the surface a bit with mu dremel, this was a lot easier, I hope it works.  I glued them on yesterday morning so they should be ready to profile today. I would like to finish this today before I go away on business tomorrow.

When you  epoxy the scales to the liner you have the advantage of profiling the scales before final pinning.

Attachments:

I made a jig that forms the pins to the exact size of the counter in the scale, by doing it this way you avoid damaging softer materials.

Attachments:

I decided to use brass pins except for the blade pivot. I like the way brass looks with the buffalo horn, their also easier to pean..

Peaning the blade pivot was chalanging, the really is no room to hammer so I used a punch, then proped the underside on steel block with a hole in it to support the bolster.

Attachments:

I decided to grind the blade pivot pins flush to the bolster, I think it looks more professional.

She is finished! I just have to sharpen it.

Back side

Your's looks really sweet, Dan. That horn turned out GREAT !!!

.................. and the filework .. now I'm drooling !!!

Also .. hope that training business is going along fine !!!

While I'm no where near as far along as you .. I did make a rather nice discovery. The pivot hole in the blade measured (as best I could) 0.122". The 1/8 inch threaded pivots from Knifekits.com measure 0.124". A drill press and some sandpaper got me a nice slip fit.

Note: The caliber of my shop equip isn't quite equal to yours. Soooo, I was initially put off from the prospect of threaded fasteners. I wanted to avoid drilling the hardened blade .. & also didn't want to risk any mis-alignment by drilling the bolsters, liners, & blade. Removing 0.002" from the pin dia is both do-able for me & maintains the factory alignment of the locking mechanism .. :)

I did run into a small issue. Once the threaded pivot would slip through the blade .. it would NOT through the liners & bolsters. There appeared to be a SLIGHT mis-alignment between the bolster & liner,  i.e. there was a lip @ the transition. I used an implemented reamer to correct this.

@ Dan ...

Where I currently have the pins (supplied w/ the kit) helping hold everything together .. I hope to implement 4-40 flat head screws as hidden fasteners by countersinking one liner and tapping the other.

Then, holding the scales on w/ four 2-56 screws. Two @ the fnt using the existing holes .. the cntr one using the existing hole where lock retaining spring is riveted in place .. and then, drill a new hole in the liner for the rear one .. just in front of the current existing hole.

That way I minimize drilling new holes. I will .. except for the rear two holes for the scales ..  be tapping or countersinking existing holes.  :)

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service