Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I was wondering what cutlery do you guys bring in the woods. Do any of ya'll follow George Sears's ideas of what cutlery to bring in the woods? I must admit I do sometimes, but I usually adjust it to my surroundings or situation. I'm from South Louisiana and I would love to hear and see what some of you guys use in other parts of the country. Please add a picture if you can.

Views: 2610

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a trilogy that I use sometimes on small trips.

Robert-thats an interesting saw you have there my friend, to say nothing of your survival knife & spoon,fork combo. Can you tell me what make your saw is and whom it's available from? I have a Gerber in my main survival pack that I picked up for around $20. The saw is okay but the plastic handle is splitting apart at the seam after sawing about a dozen palm fronds.

I always like to field test my survival equipment at home in the event that my life could depend on it someday, much as I hope not.

Instead of the Gerber you can get numerous "Pruning" saws from landscape or Home Depot type stores.

Try looking at some of the traditional or Japanese one at :
Garrett Wade
http://www.garrettwade.com/
Check out: Product Nbr. 23K04.04 Large Folding Pruning Saw

Traditional Woodworker
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/

Woodcraft
http://www.woodcraft.com/

They come fixed or folding, synthetic or wooded handles, leather of kydex sheaths.
Kent, the saw is a Ameristep brand. I will give a review latter on the outdoor gear dicussion.

Thanks Robert, I'll be looking forward to reading that. I saw a Japanese folding saw on Garrett Wade (thanks Shlomo) that I liked very much, but I thought I'd send my present folding saw back to Gerber since I've only used it a few times. I bought it a couple years ago for my survival kit and paid only $19.95 for it. It has a plastic handle & 6" saw blade. I cut about a dozen  fairly thick palm fronds before the plastic handle cracked at the hinge & now the saw (which does cut quite well) is loose. I can tell it's not long for this world and I can forget about building a frame for an emergency lean to if it should ever become necessary.

I didn't pay much for it and all I can say for it is "you get what you pay for"-usually. I thought I'd see if Gerber will replace it before shelling out $35.00+  for this 5" folding  Japanese saw and give them another chance? 

I try to test out these various survival items to make sure they actually work as I'm a  believer in "hope for the best but prepare for the worst". 

It's really a disapointment when I see a brand name product that has had a reputation for quality cheapen their products in order to stay competitive. I would much rather pay more for quality that I can depend on. Everyone wants to get a "good deal" but I pay what I have to for something dependable and well made.

I don't buy cheap knives or outdoor gear either. Never compromise on something that you could someday have to rely on.  

Gerber has been plagued with bad reviews on a lot of their products--Bear Grylls Survival Knife, their various machetes (recalled), the folding saw and shovel, the axe/knife combo (recalled) and numerous others--All Chi-Comm made.

The Gerber site has a section for recalls that you check out.

http://www.gerbergear.com/

Gerber does have a superb customer service dept. and their shouldn't be any trouble receiving a replacement hopefully that has been improved upon otherwise you'll be sending it back again.

Robert- that looks like a throwing axe? I've been looking at Granfors Bruks axes but can't decide on their Wildlife Hatchet with a 13 1/2" handle or their Small Forest Axe with a 19" handle. I would be using it for general camp use mostly. While the Forest Axe would probably serve me better since I'm over 6' tall, the Wildlife Hatchet is lighter and could be easily carried on my belt. It sounds like the smaller hatchet could also be handier for dressing out a buck if I finally get the chance to go deer hunting with my son this fall. He'll be 43 this fall and I feel like time is slipping by way too fast.

That's something I've always wanted to do but I've always been a fishing nut-especially fresh water. I live in north FL but I sure miss going up to those fly in lakes in the Canadian bush. How I love true wilderness. 

Kent, That's a Marbels double bit Nessmuk axe. I like it and I also have a tomahawk that I use if I need to hammer things.

Robert-that's one mean lookin' axe. Didn't know Nessmuk made them thru Marbels? I just ordered a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe (19" handle-1 1/2 LB. head). Got it from a British outfit called "Bushcraft" thru eBay for $115 including S&H, which is about the best price I've found so far?

I've got Nessmuk's book on order thru my local library. I'd never heard of him before & he sounds interesting. Good knives, axes, tomahawks - I love 'em all. Wonder if the law is going to start coming down on them too like they have with guns & knives?

I also sent my folding saw back to Gerber. We'll see what happens?

I'd like to get back to this idea of carrying "three" pieces of cutlery on a trip to the wilderness. I carry different knives on my trips depending on the time of year and what our main purpose is on the trip. Like hunting or fishing or some other type of adventure. What do you guys carry on a trip and do you carry "three"?

Robert, I was just at a buddy's camp the other day and I knew we were going to be clearing some stuff out so I brought a tougher folder, but anytime I'm heading to the woods or on a trip I take three with me. As a rule I always have my lockback in my back pocket, the other two will usually change with the mood.

That day I was working at the camp I had my lockbck, a little 3 inch barlow as a back up and a tough working sodbuster knife. If I'm heading to a remote place, miles from the nearest anything, I take a fixed blade along. A Buck 102, or a "Donnie Special". 

That's great Johnny, the Donnie Special, is that Miss Jan's Donnie? I have never seen his knives before, well maybe one little one. Please post a picture if you can. Right now when I head into the woods, I carry my #54 Moose, a fixed blade 7' to 9" long and my swamp knife 15" long. On short trips, I carry  just my Moose and Swamp knife.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
4 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
4 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
6 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
7 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
7 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Saturday
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John