Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Posted by Jan Carter on January 2, 2012 at 11:03am

Seems that the USA Knife world is a small community with some deep roots in the Pennsylvania area. There are a few collectors that seek out and find the many unique tang stamps that over the past few hundred years called that great state home. Here on IKC I know of two collectors that specialize in that. David Anthony and Knifegirl888. Both of them have impressive collections but even more impressive is their knowledge of the area and its ties to the knife manufacturing industry.

We have seen companies buy the rights to some of the names from that area and revive them, a few have achieved success in making them household names among knife collectors.

A few years ago an old friend, Perry Miller, purchased the name Tuna Valley Knife Company. That name is tied to a rare PA tang stamp that few folks had ever heard of. David Anthony wrote a spellbinding article about the original company in Knife World Magazine. I would love to get a copy of it to place in here but need David’s permission to copy it. I will work on that for us. While Perry did not own a knife manufacturing plant he wanted the name to be revived and synonymous with quality. He connected with a company that held that same belief when they revived the names Tidioute, Northfield and Great Eastern Knives. The knife below is one created from that collaboration.

So tying this back to the small world conversation is some exciting news. The Great Eastern Cutlery company is opening 2012 with Bill Howard (one of the two original owners) having acquired the ownership stocks from Ken Daniels. The three names associated with Great Eastern will remain with that exceptional company and we look forward to seeing same great quality and new spins on old patterns. That is after all Bill Howard’s Specialty as a knifemaker.

The name Tuna Valley Cutlery company will now be owned by the Daniels family. Ken and Ryan are “oldstock” in the knife world, well respected for their commitment to USA made knives. I look forward to seeing what will come next with Tuna Valley and the Daniels family. So show me some of the Tuna Valleys that you have in your collection, regardless of what era they are from.

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by johnny twoshoes on January 2, 2012 at 2:00pm

Jan, thats a beauty.

I love the write up and the constant news and info you are sharing. I really think that people like you, collectors who truly care, make things like this seem smooth. I really was afraid of bad blood, but it's so great to read and hear that all is good. Knowing that the Daniels family is still involved in knives is also good to know, they can truly make are knife world a better place.

If more people cared about the quality and country of where their knives were manufactured, we'd be better off. Ken and Ryan will make some great knives under the Tuna Valley brand, I look forward to it.

Reply by David L. Anthony on January 3, 2012 at 7:11am

Here is a  pic of Original TUNA VALLEY tang stamps   Hens teeth are easier to find.

Reply by David L. Anthony on January 3, 2012 at 7:36am

I am watching this situation with GREAT interest. I hope someone will keep me informed. If I can find the digital version of the article I wrote, I will post it.  It someone else can scan a copy that would be better as it has some GREAT pictures in it

-------------------------------------------

Reply by johnny twoshoes on January 3, 2012 at 7:59am

I think this is it, right David?

-------------------------------------------------

Reply by Jan Carter on January 3, 2012 at 6:16pm

Excellent work Johnny, thanks.  David, Thanks for allowing us to share that article!!!  I will go online tonight and see if I can find some pics of the other Perry Miller era knife from Tuna Valley

Also to add to this thread. This is a photo of the original Tuna Valley knife that my grandfather bought at an auction in the 1990's, and is now in my collection.

Also, here is a group of 4 of the original pearl Tuna Valley knives that I saw at a knife show in Kentucky last year.  I doubt anyone else in the world has 4 of them together in a collection.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service