Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Lots of things to do in the spring, one is knowing when to plant and when to wait.

May 10th is my last frost date, passed down from my grandmother. She said you plant something 

that comes up before then, you will be covering it up!  Pop he said oh just use the almanac to plant and

weed and you will be okay.

This year I started the lettuce early. We had a spell of hot weather and that is all 

I needed for good germination.

Such fun it is to grow your own veggies and so Healthy for you too.

Hope everyone joins me in Gardening this year and post their pictures of veggies and flowers and such.

Lettuce is 4  days old, the cages is to keep my dog from digging...lol

Lettuce is up , black seeded simpson, salad mix and crunch

Violets blooming, going to try them in salad tomorrow.

Replenished and cleaned up MY BEACH.......

Views: 1697

Replies to This Discussion

Well the tomato's are finally coming on.....been a long hard season for them ....

Ok , I am now feeling like that show where the plants eat people.....overwhelmed with tomato's again....lol

This one above is the old brand OXHEART.....slice these from top to bottom makes great tomato meat sandwiches...lol

Very nice Sue, love those tomatoes

Ok here is some tasks I put the work horse queen (won here on this group)

Last BIG tomato for OCTOBER.....weighted in at 1 lb and 8oz

Sue,

Since my area has changed I revisited this and then went looking to find what my dates are for what veggies.

Some crops thrive in cool weather, while others only grow well when it’s warmer. So how do you know when to plant what? The key factor that should guide your decisions is your average last spring frost date. Most cool season crops, like cabbage, broccoli, lettuce and many others, can tolerate a light frost and will grow best when sown a couple weeks before your last spring frost. Some, like peas and spinach, are so cold-hardy they can even be planted “as soon as the ground can be worked,” as many seed packets say. But warm season crops like squash, cucumber and basil will be killed by frost if your seeds come up too soon. Ditto for warm season transplants such as tomatoes, peppers and eggplants — if you don’t wait until danger of frost has passed before you set them out, a late frost will kill them.

Thus on seed packets you often see “Plant after all danger of frost has passed.” So, how do you find the average last spring frost date for your area? There are U.S. maps that show last frost dates, but it’s hard to find your exact local dates on them. Your best bet is the National Climatic Data Center. Choose your state and then locate the city nearest you, and it will show your average last spring (and first fall) frost dates, based upon weather data collected by the National Climatic Data Center from 1971 through 2000 from that location. You can choose between a 50/50 probability of frost after the given date, or you can play it safe and choose the 10 percent date, which means there’s only a 10 percent chance of a frost after that date. The Freeze/Frost Occurrence Data charts also provide average dates for 36 degrees Fahrenheit, 32 degrees and 28 degrees; for most crops gardeners should use the 32 degree dates.

Another great tool to find your average frost dates is the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Vegetable Garden Planner. The Planner will even send you customized planting reminders for which crops need planting based on your frost dates and location.

Here’s a summary of which crops to plant early, and which ones not to plant until after your last spring frost date:

Very early spring (as soon as the ground can be worked)

• Onions
  • peas
  • spinach

Early spring

• lettuce
  • beets
  • carrots
  • radishes
  • dill
  • cilantro
  • cabbage
  • broccoli
  • celery
  • kale
  • potatoes

After last frost date

• beans
  • corn
  • melons
  • cucumbers
  • squash
  • tomatoes
  • peppers
  • pumpkins
  • eggplant
  • basil

I found this article interesting and the Data Chart gave me a good idea of what I am looking at for planting times.  Thanks for the info in this discussion it helps.  Think I will get me a sod buster to work with in the garden

Jan,

I have always just went with what granny said, don't plant any thing tender until after the 10th of may....but here you can plant onions, broc,cauliflower,cabbage,snow peas, etc.in mid to late april...they like the colder flashes....just ask the neighbors when the last frost date is normal....and just plant seeds a week before that. Happy Gardening...

P.S if you plant trees....make them fruit or nuts and forget about the ornaments...

another thought....if you dont know the neighbors yet....the local feed store should have the answer along with the seeds and planting times for your area....

Since you live on the forest the national forest service should also have some ideas for you too

Jan Carter said:

Sue,

Since my area has changed I revisited this and then went looking to find what my dates are for what veggies.

Some crops thrive in cool weather, while others only grow well when it’s warmer. So how do you know when to plant what? The key factor that should guide your decisions is your average last spring frost date. Most cool season crops, like cabbage, broccoli, lettuce and many others, can tolerate a light frost and will grow best when sown a couple weeks before your last spring frost. Some, like peas and spinach, are so cold-hardy they can even be planted “as soon as the ground can be worked,” as many seed packets say. But warm season crops like squash, cucumber and basil will be killed by frost if your seeds come up too soon. Ditto for warm season transplants such as tomatoes, peppers and eggplants — if you don’t wait until danger of frost has passed before you set them out, a late frost will kill them.

Thus on seed packets you often see “Plant after all danger of frost has passed.” So, how do you find the average last spring frost date for your area? There are U.S. maps that show last frost dates, but it’s hard to find your exact local dates on them. Your best bet is the National Climatic Data Center. Choose your state and then locate the city nearest you, and it will show your average last spring (and first fall) frost dates, based upon weather data collected by the National Climatic Data Center from 1971 through 2000 from that location. You can choose between a 50/50 probability of frost after the given date, or you can play it safe and choose the 10 percent date, which means there’s only a 10 percent chance of a frost after that date. The Freeze/Frost Occurrence Data charts also provide average dates for 36 degrees Fahrenheit, 32 degrees and 28 degrees; for most crops gardeners should use the 32 degree dates.

Another great tool to find your average frost dates is the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Vegetable Garden Planner. The Planner will even send you customized planting reminders for which crops need planting based on your frost dates and location.

Here’s a summary of which crops to plant early, and which ones not to plant until after your last spring frost date:

Very early spring (as soon as the ground can be worked)

• Onions
  • peas
  • spinach

Early spring

• lettuce
  • beets
  • carrots
  • radishes
  • dill
  • cilantro
  • cabbage
  • broccoli
  • celery
  • kale
  • potatoes

After last frost date

• beans
  • corn
  • melons
  • cucumbers
  • squash
  • tomatoes
  • peppers
  • pumpkins
  • eggplant
  • basil

I found this article interesting and the Data Chart gave me a good idea of what I am looking at for planting times.  Thanks for the info in this discussion it helps.  Think I will get me a sod buster to work with in the garden

Not planting any trees this year, we need to get a good idea of what is actually already here.  Seems to be a good many ornamentals right here around the house.  We have some mountain laurel, some rhododendrons  but so far that is all I have been able to identify.  Will let you know how the growing season goes.  Looking forward to some tomatoes and peppers!

Well I bought some seed pods for the tomato's  http://www.miraclegro.com/smg/gocat/miracle-gro-groables/cat10340006.  With so much going on I have not had time to start from seed so this year it will be this short cut planted at the end of the month

Well the tomatoes and peppers are up and beginning to flower :)

The seed pods did pretty well.  Had fresh squash for dinner tonight and am waiting for a few of the tomatoes to get ripe

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service