Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Show them off here.

Views: 8267

Replies to This Discussion

As Smiling-Knife stated the Girl Guides is the British/Commonwealth equivalent of the Girl Scouts of the USA.  Agnes Baden-Powell, sister to Robert Baden-Powell, formed the Girl Guides in 1910,  (Most give the date of 1907 as the formalization of the Boy Scouts in Great Britain)  

As most know the Boy Scouts of America was founded by William D. Boyce, after having witnessed the Scouting program in Great Britain and having met with Baden Powell.  However, before the formal chartering of the Boy Scouts of America, The Woodcraft Indians had been formed by Ernest Seton, and the Sons of Daniel Boone had been formed by Daniel Beard.  These two organizations were actually the forefathers of the Boy Scouts of America.  These two programs were absorbed into the newly forming Boys Scouts. All three  organizations were primarily  located in the North Eastern and Midwestern States.  The newly formed Boy Scouts of American combined attributes of the Boy Scout program in Great Britain with the Woodcraft Indians and Sons of Daniel Boone.

The Girl Scouts of the USA was founded in Savannah, Georgia, by Juliette Gordon Low.  Low had met with Robert Baden-Powell in 1911, returned to Savannah and began the Girl Scouts of the United States of America (USA).  For those who know something about the Girl Scouts, Juliette's nick-name was "Daisy."    Daisy is the first level of Girl Scouting in America.  Girls Scouts USA are part of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).

Thanks Tobias, you learn something new everyday, and I was a Boy Scout but I never heard of The Woodcraft Indians or the Sons of Daniel Boone.

I haven't either, there were Eagle Scouts. They were the top of the line. in Scouts.

Our ultimate outdoorsman knife...great for hunting and skinning!

Wow thanks Tim! Had no idea Famars even made such a knife!

Tim Ross said:

Our ultimate outdoorsman knife...great for hunting and skinning!

These inexpensive shell-handled knives were made in the 1960s and 70s by Richards Sheffield.

That's pretty cool Smiling-Knife.    I've been looking at those on eBay.  They're probably not worth much but I see them as somewhat historically important  Nice graphics!

Okay, I finally got one of those 1950s-1960s era Japanese Hobos.   They are everything I expected them to be which makes me happy that I got it for under $10 (including the shipping)  The knives are cheaply made, however they are somewhat sturdy.  The springs on the main blade and scissors are wore out.  They stay in place but they lack any real snap.  Other implements work pretty good.  The knife is around 4.75 inches (12 Cm) in length. Full size spoon and fork.  Obviously it isn't a come-apart knife.  Scissor work pretty well.  The punch is very pointy and has a diamond shape cross section.

As it stands, this Hobo is head an shoulder above the crappy hobos made by Royal Crest but not quite as good as the Ozark Trail that you find at Walmart for under $5.  Still like many knives in my Scout collection, I think they make up the history of scouts/camps/hobos and so I'm happy I got one.

Now to find out what Mitsurcshi,or Mitsubcshi, Japan means.  Not sure if it is an early spelling for Mitsubishi or not. Also not sure if the scales are bone or Delrin.  I might need to do a "pin test"  I don't think it would devalue the thing!  LOL

Tobias, it may be that there are two versions of this Japanese Hobo. Back at page 1 of this series of photos I posted a photo of a version like mine. Assuming that you showed all of the implements on your version, yours doesn't have a saw blade in the opposite end of the liner holding the main blade, nor does it have the chisel ground Wharncliffe blade, opposite the fork. Also there is an additional third punch type blade, with a hole in it on the back of the knife with the screw. An extra liner/spacer set makes this possible. Maybe I'm wrong to assume anything based on your photo?

If I'm right, it doesn't take away from your knife at all. I just feel bad that you will now have to continue your search. LOL To make things worse, I saw this same frame and scales on eBay that was a regular camp knife. Beautiful. The set of three would be nice to have.  

Clay, I have seen at least 6 different version of these Japanese Hobos and just as many version of the these knives without fork and spoon.  I've seen  them as small as three inches closed to these 4.75 inch monsters.  They are quite common and the variety is stunning.  If  a person wanted to have a collection of 12-15 of these knives they could easily do it with no duplicates and probably for around $75-$150 depending on their luck on eBay.

Don't get me wrong. They are not high quality knives but they are quite interesting!

These aren't mine but the picture gives you an idea of the size differences

Don't tempt me to begin a collection of these. LOL It would be a cool collection though. It's neither here nor there, but my example has such strong springs that I can hardly open the major blades and the snap is down-right dangerous in closing. All edges are still factory sharp. If I had any other decent Hobo, I'd make you a deal on this one, I've been trying to stick to a plan of having the blades that meet all of  my needs, regardless of brand, while adding to only one collection. Mora of Sweden  Thanks for the photo. 

Tobias Gibson said:

Clay, I have seen at least 6 different version of these Japanese Hobos and just as many version of the these knives without fork and spoon.  I've seen  them as small as three inches closed to these 4.75 inch monsters.  They are quite common and the variety is stunning.  If  a person wanted to have a collection of 12-15 of these knives they could easily do it with no duplicates and probably for around $75-$150 depending on their luck on eBay.

Don't get me wrong. They are not high quality knives but they are quite interesting!

These aren't mine but the picture gives you an idea of the size differences

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service