Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Show them off here.

Views: 8248

Replies to This Discussion

They are very nice.

I just picked up an identical Japanese stag handle hobo to this one. Can't wait to play with it. What material do you think the scales are made of? Bone probably?

Ken Spielvogel said:

These are user friendly. The blade width is reduced by the skillfully made scale cutouts. I like the durable pinned bails. And, how many openers do you see with a stud for opening?

Tobias Gibson said:

Those are fantastic knives, Smiling-Knife.  I'm really starting to like camp knives lacking bolsters, especially when they have natural material scales line wood, bone, stag, or horn. These square ended knives are really interesting

Do you know what company made them?!

I like small Hobo's like those, to carry with me. They don't take up much room and I have everything I need, for a meal. I could open a can of beans, soup or stew in the woods.

I finally got a Crosman!  These are somewhat interesting camp knives.  They are made on the slimmer 3 3/38 inch frame used for the Cub Scout knife, however they are a 4 implement instead of three implement knife.  These were marketed by the Crosman  BB gun company.

What really sets it apart from other camp knives is the liner locking spear-master blade.  You just don't see that too often on camp knives!   Still looking for more information on them but i think they are from around the 1970s or 80s.  That have jigged stag Delrin handles.

Pattern number 918-A. 

No shield

stainless blades  & back springs,

Brass pins and liners

I think nickel silver bolsters but could be stainless.

Made in the USA. 

At $11.08 +$3.50  for shipping.  This one was a steal!

Great deal, I'm happy for you. There are good deals out there.

What's great is I lost an earlier bid for one in wore shape for over $20!  But best of all I've got yet another example of a terrific scout pattern.

Great buy Tobias, every once in awhile you get in on a buy that someone else just wasn't looking at. Nice Knife.

Now if I could only find one of those old Crosman BB guns that looked like an M1 Carbine.  Those were really nice looking BB guns but the stock was prone to breaking right behind the trigger; due to way you had to cock them.

Here is a link to info on the Crosman Girand. Maybe it will be helpful in your search.           Crosman link

Tobias Gibson said:

Now if I could only find one of those old Crosman BB guns that looked like an M1 Carbine.  Those were really nice looking BB guns but the stock was prone to breaking right behind the trigger; due to way you had to cock them.

Clay, I'm sure it was just a slip but the M1 Carbine is not a Garand.  The M1 Garand was a Semi-automatic Rifle firing the 30.06 cartridge and was the brainchild of John Garand.  Garand was a Canadian by birth but was working for the Sprindfield armory at the time of genius that was the M1 Rifle.

The M1 Carbine  Was the brain child of Ed Browning (John Browning's brother) who was working with Winchester at the time.  A movie starring Jimmy Stewart would lead you to believe that the Carbine was the brain child of David "Carbine" Williams but it in fact the rifle was initially designed by Ed Browning  

After Ed Browning's  death several engineers at Winchester  went on to e develop the Carbine which incorporated a short stroke gas piston similar to the one Williams had designed. Williams was working for Winchester at the time but had not actually worked on the adopted model, choosing to work on his own design instead!  M1 Carbines were used on all theaters in WWII and were normally called "Carbine" by American forces in order  not to be confused with the M1 Rifle. 

British and Commonwealth forces also used the M1 Carbine and referred to as the  "Winchester." Despite having an underpowered cartridge, the Carbine was a favored weapon of the British SAS during the latter days of WWII and throughout the 1950s.

M1 Garand (Springfield)

M1 Carbine (Winchester)

On a knife note,  The M1 Carbine initially did not have a bayonet stud so persons issued the Carbine  were also issued a M3 Trench knife. Later Carbines were modified with a stud and were then issued with the M4 Bayonet leading to a demise of the M3 Knife

The M1 Rifle actually used three different bayonets.  The earliest was the M1905 which was a wood handled bayonet with a 16 inch blade. This bayonet was initially used wiith the 1903 Springfield  Rifle.  In 1942, his bayonet was given composition handles and re-designated the M1942 bayonet.

Soon afterwards the  the blade was shortened from 16 inches to 10 inches  and the bayonets were given the nomenclature M1 Bayonet.  A program to retrofit earlier bayonets  to the new 10 inch length led to older wood handle  bayonets be designated M1905E1 Bayonets whereas the M1942s became M1 Bayonets.  Marines and soldiers serving in the Pacific who had already been issued the longer 16 inch bayonets tended to keep the longer bayonets in order to counter the 20 inch Japanese Type 30 bayonets.

My father fought in the Pacific and used a M1 Garand. He said it was a great rifle but very heavy.

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service