Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Over the last week I acquired 4 blade blanks for customization. The materials they use for their "S" line of products are 440C, manufactured in China.

The ones I selected are pictured below:

The top one will definitely receive a Stag taper handle, the Guthook blank will receive a Purpleheart Wood scales w/ Pink liners(for the younger niece). The bottom 2 are to be more detail specific in the handle materials. I would like some ideas on the materials for those, but keep in mind my skill level when making those suggestions. Novice.  

Part Deux:

The knife Fairy brought these to me Tuesday:

Again: Some other blanks that showed up sometime ago:

Tags: Blade, Customize, Knife, Premium, Supply, blanks, handles

Views: 8099

Replies to This Discussion

Robert Burris said:

I am trying to learn how to put handles on blade blanks too. Some come out better than others. Brad, keep us posted on your project.

What info do you need, Robert ?? I'd be happy to help if Ican ! ?? Message me if it is too detailed to put in a post-

The bolster is welded in place.

John McCain said:

On knife #3 is the bolster an integral part of the blade blank or is it removable ?? That would make a BIG difference on how I designed the knife !!

Brad, just to give you an idea on the combinations on the subhilt I was talking about-BTW these aren't my knives-just net grabs to give you some examples-

Ironwood and turquoise

Amboyna Burl and turquoise

My choice for #3 would be a stabilized spalted wood- The stuff is beautiful and no two are alike- If you wanted to go whole hog( sorry Steve) you could even do a band of a contrasting wood with nickel silver spacers. IMHO spalted wood is usually strong enough to stand on its own-The stuff is just beautiful- here are some examples-

Spalted  Hackberry

Spalted Tamarind

Spalted maple

Spalted Hickory  and buckeye burl

Another spalted maple

Another spalted hackberry-The variations in even the same wood are endless !!

Got some Purpleheart and pink liners glued to together yesterday. I cut them to shape this morning and sanded the cut sides for pictures. The nuts and bolts were handy for the pictures, not staying. The Purple and pink contrast well on an 11 year old girl's knife.

Brad they do indeed contrast well!  you sure you dont want to leave the nuts and bolts?  Could be a new fad!

I like the spalted woods also

Looking good so far Brad !! Was not sure how the pink liners would look with purpleheart but I was pleasantly surprised !! They look fantastic together !! Any thoughts yet on what type of pins you will use?? Hopefully not a nut and bolt-LOL- Seriously, I had envisioned a bright pink liner in my head when you first posted your intention,but the shade you chose is right on the mark- Kudos

John,

I envision silver Mosaic pins, something "girly", flower-like.

BTW - The Spalted wood is very attractive and the cost is as high as a "Cat's back"...standing on the roof. I will try to acquire some Maple Burl, I like the warm colors.

Brad, I would go with mosaic pins as well-nice choice !!  I have to ask, where have you been looking at spalted knife scales ?? Depending on the overall dimensions of your handles, I have found matchbooked sets in  the $20-30 dollar range ?? What is your price range on scales, and what are the general dimensions of the handles on #3-  I can probably get you several choices if you are interested !!

ebay. 

Price as always is as little as possible without compromising quality. 3.25"x 1.5"(oversized for working).

Brad,

Sometimes you do better on the wood by buying the block instead of scales.  try something like here

http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/sale-clearance.htm

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

J.J. Smith III left a comment for Rich Randolph
20 hours ago
Rich Randolph is now a member of iKnife Collector
20 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a discussion
22 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted photos
22 hours ago

KnifeMaker
Alexander Åhl posted a status
"Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like the perfect place for me!"
22 hours ago
Lars Ray replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday
Kevin D replied to dead_left_knife_guy's discussion Is Knives Illustrated Magazine Dead?
Saturday

Featured
dead_left_knife_guy posted a discussion
Apr 13
Lars Ray commented on Gary Richard's blog post Clip Knife Pocket Damage Issue Resolved
Apr 12
John left a comment for Jan Carter
Apr 12
John left a comment for dead_left_knife_guy
Apr 12
Jan Carter posted an event

2024 Solvang Custom Knife Show at Hotel Corque

April 26, 2024 to April 27, 2024
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for Wally Guittard
Apr 12
Jan Carter left a comment for John