Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Over the last week I acquired 4 blade blanks for customization. The materials they use for their "S" line of products are 440C, manufactured in China.

The ones I selected are pictured below:

The top one will definitely receive a Stag taper handle, the Guthook blank will receive a Purpleheart Wood scales w/ Pink liners(for the younger niece). The bottom 2 are to be more detail specific in the handle materials. I would like some ideas on the materials for those, but keep in mind my skill level when making those suggestions. Novice.  

Part Deux:

The knife Fairy brought these to me Tuesday:

Again: Some other blanks that showed up sometime ago:

Tags: Blade, Customize, Knife, Premium, Supply, blanks, handles

Views: 8090

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, those blanks really look good, Brad. And they should keep you busy for a while!

I especially like the bottom two! That sub-hilt blade looks like it would make for a very interesting build. The possibilities would be endless in regard to handle materials and combinations thereof. I'll be curious to hear some suggestions. 

Ron,

Yeah, it looks to be an interesting project. I don't want to rush it. I put out some requests for input from some members who's projects impressed me.

Purpleheart looks good on a guthook- your niece will like it !!

Brad,

The bottom one would look great with a exhibition grade Burl and do the subhilt in a black buffalo horn, it would bring out the accents in the burl.  Match the liner to the colors in the burl

The one above that may look nice with a good camel bone.  Donnie says buy it where it is a bit thicker in the middle, makes it easier to level out when your working it

I am trying to learn how to put handles on blade blanks too. Some come out better than others. Brad, keep us posted on your project.

That looks r-e-a-l-l-y nice John. I am guessing that is a Hidden tang blade.

John McCain said:

That is a real sweet knife. Great job.

Brad T. said:

That looks r-e-a-l-l-y nice John. I am guessing that is a Hidden tang blade.

John McCain said:

When you give the knife to your niece, please be sure she knows it's for hunting and has nothing to do with the old saying "the way to a man's heart..."

"...is through his breastplate."  Too late, their father has already taught them that. LOL

Pat Kennedy said:

When you give the knife to your niece, please be sure she knows it's for hunting and has nothing to do with the old saying "the way to a man's heart..."

Brad , wish I could take credit for the purpleheart guthook- I found the image on the net-It had the makers name in the original photo, but when I downloaded it the makers name was no longer in the picture. I was just giving you an idea how it would look for your niece. 

Okay, the sub hilt is screaming at me for a combination.If I were doing it, it would be turquoise stone in  the subhilt and either exhibition grade Amboyna burl or desert ironwood- Makes an eyepopping combination !! If you wanted to get really fancy-shmancy on the handle do a section of the burl or ironwood then a thin nickel silver spacer-turquoise spacer-another nickel silver spacer-then the rest in the same wood- I love desert ironwood and Amboyna burl both but I am leaning towards the Amboyna because it it a little easier to work with- Ironwood didn't get it's name for nothing, plus exhibition grade blanks are higher than a cat's back, if you know what I mean !! Still thinking on #3- Will get back to you on that !!

On knife #3 is the bolster an integral part of the blade blank or is it removable ?? That would make a BIG difference on how I designed the knife !!

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service