Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Last week we found that Puma has a smooth bone sodbuster style knife!  We have both been very excited.  Donnie has always liked the style and NO ONE makes it in smooth bone any longer.  2 went on order and the wait began.  Shipping did not take long,  about a week.  The knives came fairly sharp, the bone fits and there are no gaps at the spring.  Honestly it is a good looking knife

Country of Origin: German Blade, assembled in China

Class: SGB

Knife Type: Folding Blade

Length in / mm: 2.7 / 68 Blade Thickness in / mm: 0.09/2.3 Closed Length in / mm: 3.7/95 Total Length in / mm: 6.7 / 170

Weight oz / gr: 2.4 / 69

Scales: white smooth bone

Blade Steel: 440A

Rockwell Hardness: 55-57 

Donnie will be carrying this knife, using it and we will see how the steel holds up.  Like I said it came  fairly sharp, a few hits on the strop and it is shaving sharp.  So this this review is just about the firat thoughts.

I like it, the concept, the style the materials, the weight and how it feels in the hand.  What I dont like is the quality control.

Both knives have identical pin cracks at the spine.  One knife only has that.  My first thought...well it is a user and only 20.00.  It has the material we wanted so just use that one.  The pictures above are the second knife.  So, lets go look at the return policy.  Yeah, that is not going to happen. The IRS wanted less information. It is an inexpensive knife that was meant to be used so zap-a-gap the cracks put it in your pocket and lets see how it holds up as an EDC.  So stay tuned and lets see what the steel has to tell us.  At this point I would have to say, keep an eye out for them, see if they can be found for less and only buy if your looking at the knife your buying

Tags: Knife, Puma, Review

Views: 754

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd hate to see it get dropped.  I like the sudbuster style, but those checks look like future problems.  I'll bet Donnie is already measuring his for a handle upgrade.

What a shame! On a 40 year old knife they are "Character Lines" but on a new knife ? Nope.... neither should have left the factory. IMHO the price doesn't come into it. New should be "new" whether you pay $20 or $200 

Yes, I would say for $20 its a good buy, but that got me thinking and i can buy a bone knife, a Rough Rider and have better quality and probably pay even less.

In any event it is that sodbuster style and in bone and you just can't find that anywhere else right now. You would think somebody else has to be thinking....we need to make one of these...

Derek, 

I agree and I would have sent them back but that process seems rather cumbersome.  I will send them the pics and the write up.  They need to know.  So I think I will be talking to some of the other companies about producing one of these LOL

I like your last statement. Do talk to other companies - use your pull! Maybe they'll listen. Steve mentioned Rough Rider. RR is always looking for the unusual just by looking at what they offer. 

Keep the knives and report on how they hold up. In the meantime you can "review" it to a wide audience. By wide audience I mean something like Amazon. You don't have to purchase the item from Amazon's site but you can review it if the item is carried on the website. I've done that and got a good many "likes" for my review. Check the site you bought it from and see if they have reviews. If Puma can't get it right from the "get go" then they and the potential buyer should know about it.

Michael,

Part of the frustration is I bought them straight from Puma.

RR is actually what i was thinking.  Next month is Rep weekend at SMKW and I intend to take one of them to Kevin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service