Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

I have a rare Sea Wolf Knife made by Gus Marsh. Gus was in UDT in the early 1960's. He designed and  made 26 of the original pattern knives in stainless steel for his UDT-13 unit and some SEAL buddies. The original Sea Wolfs were made up of three distinct parts that were welded together at the crossguard and had no markings or name on the hilt at all.

When Gus decided to manufacture them, he had the knives cast in one piece of solid stainless steel. He received the rough cast blanks at his home and finished them to the mirror bright configuration in his garage workshop. He produced only about 200 of these second generation knives between 1980 and 1984. He only sold them at gun shows in CA, AZ, & NV. These knives were made from 440C stainless steel and hardened to the Rockwell C scale of 57-58. He has not made any more since 1984.

He later sold the molds to Mike England ( a known knife industry scammer, unbeknownst to Gus), who never paid Gus what he owed him, England then had them made in Asia and passed them off as originals with his own name as the maker stamped on them.

The REAL knives that Gus made are stamped SEA WOLF KNIFE CO. USA. on the grip area.
The PHONIES are stamped with just WOLF KNIFE CO.

This knife was received directly from Gus's patent attorney. It is in it's original box, with the accompanying instructions and guarantee. It has never been used and is in excellent condition. I don't need the knife, and don't normally collect this type, so I would prefer it to go to a 'good home' or into a suitable collection. Asking about $1800.

If any of you are interested, please let me know, Thanks,

Mike

Views: 4046

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow quite a story Mike and surprising I have never heard that one from Gus himself! He really needs to post some pictures of him back in 1984!

Lets see if there is any interest but no matter, a good read.

Did you know Gus? Never met him, but knew his patent attorney. Beautiful and simple knife.

Steve Hanner said:

Wow quite a story Mike and surprising I have never heard that one from Gus himself! He really needs to post some pictures of him back in 1984!

Lets see if there is any interest but no matter, a good read.

I made about 26 three piece SeaWolf Diving knives from 1967-1968. These were all made in a machine shop in Subic Bay, Philippines and handed out to all my diving buddies. In 1980 I started making the one piece SeaWolf knife and sold them for four year. The original three piece knife sells for about $1,000, while the one piece sells for around $500.00

wow Gus, wish you had held on to a few of them LOL!!

I have 2 SeaWolf, one is three piece and the other is one piece.

Gus, this may take you back a bit, but I have one of these knives. Could have sworn I got mine from you in '79, but maybe it was '80. It was in CA and I was with two of my fellow divers. I had mentioned that I needed a knife that could stand up to the demands of the offshore diving industry. Specifically, Saturation Diving in the North Sea. I needed something that could hold an edge and also cut through small diameter steel cable if necessary. You told me that this was the knife and I should give it a try. I did, and I loved it! My one friend lost his; it's sitting at the bottom of the North Sea somewhere in the BP Forties oil field. The other one broke because my friend Rex tried to use it as a crowbar. Mine held an edge so well that I was always replacing my sheath because the knife point would always manage to cut through it eventually. Here is a picture of mine. Still looks pretty much the way it did when I got it. Truly a one-of-a-kind tool.

Very cool! Loving the history on these!

Dangggg…...

Ok first off, I soo want this. I need to figure it out. Secondly here is my quickbit info

I am a big Cheetah / swing guard collector. Also buy reddish bones and recently moved to switchblades and fixed blades. Fixed blades being emphasized on military style knives, daggers, boot and sea knives all with full guard. Something about the guards just have me hooked since my beginning really with the cheetahs and case xx knives even. Thanks so much for sharing. I do have a lot of "inventory" to trade as well, mainly all case and microtechs (idk just bought as a venture really) but in meantime im gonna work on getting me a Gus piece and the funds to acquire. See ya around!

JJ

Wow that was a fascinating "write up" that I was unaware of.  Beautiful design!

If your ever interested JJ, here is a unique one from Canada.  Enjoy the photos!

I always love it when this discussion pops up.  I dont have a very big list of grails any longer as I have met most of those goals but of the few left I WANT A SEAWOLF

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service