Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Arguably, the easiest & most frequently used method for dating cutlery.

Do you have a unique/rare stamping ??

Care to share a pic & a bit of history ??

Just as important ... a stamping that's just a little (or, a lot) suspect.

Views: 10160

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you again Gary K for letting me share these.  As you know we are not done yet :)

Jan,

Thanks for sharing all of these amazing pieces of cutlery history. And, a great big thanks and a tip of the hat to Gary, also! Thanks, Gary!

Gosh! If only these rare gems could talk and tell us about the lives they've led. I can't help but wonder whose face that brightly colored Cattaraugus razor has slid acrossed? Or the Red Bird? Where has this, now extinct, bird roosted in years gone by?

It is knives like these that fuel the flames of my imagination and open so many windows to a glimpse of the past. I love this hobby!

Thanks for parting the drapes and opening so many windows, Jan!

Thanks, Jan !!!

The first stamping I posted in this discussion was the quill knife by Hatch Cut Co. Your's is an earlier stamping .. before their relocation. I haven't seen another "The Hatch Cutlery Co." stamp besides the one I have. 

SWEET .. thanks again !!

Jan Carter said:

OK, lets see some more

gary .. I haven't located the Red Bird yet ..but.. rediscovered a few others.

B. J. Eyer & Co.  .  Challenge Razor  .  Sheffield

One of my all time fav's ... Joseph Rodgers & Sons  .  Cutlers to their Majesties  .  No. 6 Norfolk St.  .  Sheffield England.

.. an example of Marshes & Shepherd's "Ponds Works" stamp .. 

... Wade & Butcher's simply feel nice ...

... they did a wonderful etch on some of these ...

.. an old Waterville ..

... also found some Case Red Imps, a Union Cut Co's SPIKE & GOLD ARO & a couple Cattaraugus B54GL Green Lizards. I'll keep looking for that Red Bird .. it's buried here somewhere .............

Whoops .. just realized .. only one of these qualify for "Vintage American Knives". The rest belong in the "Sheffield" group.

Thats quite allright Dale....I love the old tangs.  I have a few more shots that Gary shared with me.  I will get them loaded when I get home.  It was an amazing day to be able to hold some of these old pieces and see tangs I had only seen in pic before.  Wait until you see what I was given so I could complete my razor display :)

(:   two of those are 19th century stampings  :)

WOW....nice look!

Jan Carter said:

I was fortunate enough to see some rather rare tangs while in PA this week.  Courtesy of Gary K.  who very patiently waited for me to photo 14 of his

Germania Cutlery Works, 1885-c1938   My grandmother got this knife at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis

Imperial Razor, commemorated Admiral Dewey's defeat of the Spanish fleet in 1898.  (Imperial Razor was by the Kastor Bros. as was Germania Cutlery Works.)

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service