Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

The purpose of this Group is to list and talk about Knife Books. Become a storage point for pdf's and links for info about knives and eventually be a reference point for exchange of Knife Books(If members decide to "check out" a book from another member)

Tags: Knife, book, reference

Views: 1920

Replies to This Discussion

Posted by Tuomas Kemppainen on July 18, 2010

Always on the look out for knowledge. What are some knife books that you can recommend to others to read?

Reply by Lynn on August 2, 2010

The Case Cutlery Dynasty is a great read I would like to add a couple more to this list on the history of knives Tidiote Brand Pocket Knives by David L. Anthony a lot of great reading in this book, and W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company by Shirley Boser and John Sullivan !! Agreat history lesson for us all in these books I recommend all three!!!!

Reply by Gary Kennedy on October 7, 2010

As far as info none better than Levine 's Guide to knives and thier value 4th Edition not the newer one

Reply by Steve Hanner on December 8, 2010

Just finished reading Kinfolks Knives and found that to be a wonderful portrayal of one of the great Knife Families. Sticking together and going their own way they pulled it together for a run with Kinfolks. I don't know if it is the greatest knife book of all time but I did find it highly entertaining.

Reply by Trent Rock on December 8, 2010 

I really enjoyed this book

It painted a good historical picture of The Bowie Knife Fad of the middle 19thC
And lots of cool old San Fran history....

Reply by Alexander Noot on September 13, 2011

So far my favourite is "100 custom knife projects" by David Darom.

Seeing everything built at the highest skill levels just astounds me.

Reply by Steve Hanner on February 19, 2012

I am currently reading Official Price Guide to Collector Knives, 15th Edition by C. Houston Price and Mark Zalesky. I like it primarily because it does contain info on about 1500 mostly vintage knives. Included are some pictures both color and black and white to give you a good idea of what some of the knives look like. There is also a brief history of knife companies, many of whom are not around anymore.

Reply by Sue OldsWidow on April 16, 2012 

The Knife makers who went west ....a book I was reviewing today...

It was so interesting how the northfield knives started and the owner had his house within walking

distance from the cutlery factory

And the pond out in front of the house was locked off and allowed the water to flow through a brook to

the knife plant, that ran all the tools for the knife making.

Also it had catalogs of pictures of the Western knives and tang stamps of folders and fixed blades.

I read elsewhere that when the owner of western state knives went to colorado from the east , it was

due to health issues with consumption, hence off to better air.

But the largest pictures and history was about the making and jobbing going on in the late 1800's till

they finally settled down as a business with Name and Motto's.

Well anyways it will take a few more days of quiet , to get more INPUT from this excellent Knife book 

The Knife Makers Who Went West!

Sue

Reply by Jan Carter on April 16, 2012

Great information about the PA companies that became the new PA companies

Reply by Sue OldsWidow on June 17, 2012 

Found this one on amazon.com

Reply by Sue OldsWidow on June 30, 2012

Reply by Robert Burris on July 3, 2012

Miss Sue, if there was just one book you could read about the history of knives, what would it be?

Reply by Sue OldsWidow on July 3, 2012

This would be the one I would read! I dont have it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply by Ron Cooper on February 6, 2013

In my quest to find Levine's Guide to Knives, 4th Edition, I recently stumbled upon this piece of knife collecting history...

I stumbled upon this publication in a used book store in Pasadena, CA. last week. While it does contain a wealth of useful information, sadly, it is not, nor does it purport to be, Levine's Guide 4th edition -- Which I am still in pursuit of at a reasonable cost ($100 or less). If anyone can help me locate Levine's Guide 4th Ed. I would be quite grateful.

In the meantime I will continue to scour used book stores in search of anything relating to edged weapons -- Most specifically, folding knives. Until I began this quest I never realized how scarce knife books were. I was in a large bookstore yesterday in Glendale, CA. and the owner directed me to a shelf in his store that was designated exclusively to knives and "Edged Weapons." The entire shelf was completely empty! I mean, not one book! NOT ONE!

The search continues!

Reply by Sue OldsWidow on August 17, 2013

Kinfolks Knives: A History of Cutlery and Cousins by Dean Elliott Case

The most comprehensive and accurate history of Kinfolks Knives to date, providing rare insight into Kinfolks and the families involved in its creation and development. Includes four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives.

BOOK REVIEW
Reviewed by Knife World Staff

Of all the various companies that have at one time or another been associated with America’s first family of cutlery – the Cases – it’s entirely possible that Kinfolks Incorporated is the most unusual and most misunderstood. This book sheds new light on the interesting old firm and the knives they produced.

Author Dean Elliott Case is the great-great-grandson of family patriarch Job Case, great-grandson of Jean Case of Case Brothers fame, and the grandson of Dean J. Case who was connected with Cattaraugus, Case Brothers, Standard Knife Co., and who organized, managed, and eventually owned Kinfolks outright. The other “kinfolks” who founded the company were his cousins Tint Champlin of Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. and J. Russell Case of W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co. These competitors saw a way to solve their supply issues in the outsourcing capacity offered by Kinfolks, and the company was founded on November 4, 1926.

The Kinfolks story is told through a series of short chapters on the company and the men behind it, interspersed with letters containing the personal reminiscences of several whose lives were directly connected, like Bill Platts and John Osborne Jr. There are chapters on Job Case, Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Emerson Case; on the Kinfolks factory floor, Kinfolks during World War II, the closure of the Little Valley plant in November of 1957 and Kinfolks’ subsequent “resurrection” with Robeson Cutlery. There’s also a timeline summarizing key moments in the history of Kinfolks and the Case family.

Collectors will be particularly pleased to discover the four Kinfolks catalogs which are reprinted here in their entirety, from 1939, 1948, 1958 and 1960 (the latter two produced during the Robeson/Kinfolks “new era.”) Chapters on the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives and on Kinfolks anomalies and unanswered questions will also prove useful. There’s also information on odd products the company produced over the years (like the Kinfolks “Pop-O-Matic” popcorn popper), and even some Case family recipes. Kinfolks Knives: A History of Cutlery and Cousins will be appreciated not only by those interested in Kinfolks Incorporated, but by anyone who would like to learn more of the history behind such related companies as Robeson, Cattaraugus, and the various Case related cutleries like Case Brothers and W.R. Case & Sons.

Kinfolks Knives: A History of Cutlery and Cousins
by Dean Case
Softcover, 164 pp.

Catalog Reprints

Posted by Craig Henry on August 5, 2013 

I remember a time when a person could buy old knife company catalog reprints. I used to have a BUNCH of them......until I accidentally sold them at a yard sale. 

I really wish someone would re-print them again. 

Reply by Mark Zalesky on August 7, 2013

Hoping this post doesn't seem too commercial, but I guess I am the guy to respond. There aren't many reprints anymore because they don't sell well anymore -- that's the long and the short of it.

Two that are still in print (for now), and are available from Knife World Books:

Cattaraugus Cutlery reprint circa early 'teens (the only color knife reprint ever done)

Big Book of Pocket Knives (a collection of about 60 partial reprints in one book)

Both of these also contain current collector values as most of the older reprints did. We also sell a lot of reprints in our out of print book department.

I've started work on a Knife World article to help collectors of antique American pocketknives locate the info in old, out of print knife books, there are literally several hundred books out there on this or that aspect of western knives made during the last 300 years or so, but many of them were published only in small quantities and there really isn't anywhere you can go to even find out what was done (nothing that's been published, anyway). We need to help get that info out there so people can use it.

Reply by Craig Henry on August 7, 2013 

That's a shame. I REALLY wish I still had mine. I had a bunch. I always thought it was cool to see what the old companies were doing back then. And it was interesting to see what the various old companies called their different handles. I used to sit and study the old catalog reprints! Rats.

Historical Edged Implements & Weapons

Posted by Shlomo ben Maved on August 22, 2011 

Some volumes that are collecting dust on our library's shelves submitted for your perusal and edification...Hope you can enjoy some of them on your own.

Duelling

Baldick….., Robert….., The Duel: A History

Keen….., Maurice Hugh….., Chivalry

Kirchner….., Paul….., Dueling With Sword And Pistol

Wilson….., John L.….., The Code Of Honor

Price….., Brian R.….., The Book Of The Tournament

Historical

Burton….., Richard F.….., The Book Of The Sword

Coe….., Michael D.….., Swords And Hilt Weapons

Ffoulkes….., Charles….., Sword, Lance And Bayonet

Hutton….., Alfred….., The Sword And The Centuries

O'Connell & Batchlor….., Robert & John….., An Illustrated History Of Weaponry And Warfare

Wagner….., Edward….., Cut And Thrust Weapons

Weland….., G.….., A Collector's Guide To Swords, Daggers And Cutlasses

Wilkinson….., Frederic….., Edged Weapons

Wilkinson….., Frederic….., Swords And Daggers

Medieval

Davidson….., H. R. Ellis….., The Sword In Anglo Saxon England

Waite….., Adrian….., The Medieval European Sword

Oakeshott….., R. Ewart….., The Sword In The Age Of Chivalry

Thompson….., Logan, Major….., The Armoured Knight Of 1200 AD                       (1975 Edition)

Training - Scot

Rector….., Mark….., Highland Swordsmanship

Thompson & Pastore….., Christopher & Michael D……, Highland Knife Fighting With The Dirk And Sgian

Waterer, John W., Leather and the Warrior from the time of the ancient Greeks to World War Il       (1981 Edition)

Training

Brown….., Terry….., English Martial Arts

Clements….., John….., Medieval Swordsmanship

Davies….., Jonathan….., Tudor Swords And Swordsmanship

Lindholm….., David….., Sigmund Ringneck's Knightly Art Of The Longsword

Sanchez….., John….., Slash And Thrust       (19 Edition)

Talhoffer….., Hans….., Medieval Combat  translated by Mark Rector, Intro by John Clements

Wagner….., Paul….., Master Of Defense: The Works Of George Silver

Zabinski….., Grzegorz….., Codex Wallerstein: A Medieval Fighting Book

Archery

Davies, Jonathan, Reenactors Guide To Archery  1066 - 1595

Elmer & Allen, Robert P, & Charles, The Book of the Longbow

Featherstone, D., The History Of The English Longbow

Hardy, Robert, Longbow: A Social And Military History

Palmer, Dick, Shooting The Longbow

Archery - Cross

Alm, Joseph, European Crossbows: A Survey       Translated by: H. Barratt Wells & edited by: G. M. Wilson

Ball, Gary, Devil's Engine: Crossbows  1066 - 1400

Combs, Roger, Crossbows

de Vries, Kelly, Medieval Military Technology

Payne-Gallwey, R., The Book Of The Crossbow       (1907 Edition)

Payne-Gallwey, R., The Crossbow

Archery - Historical

Anon,  , The Art of Archery c.1515      Edited by Henri Gallice, Translation by H. Walrond, 1901

Ascham, Roger, Toxophilus: The fchole of fhootinghe conteyned in tvvo bookes c.1545

Markham, Gervase, The Art of Archerie c.1634

Waring, Thomas, A Treatise on Archery or, The Art of Shooting with the Long Bow  c.1824

Axes

Gamble, James D., Battle Axes

,  , Helmets

Curtis, Howard M., 2,500 Years Of European Helmets

Pyhrr, Stuart W., European Helmets, 1450-1650: Treasures from the Reserve Collection       (2000 Edition

Collection - Roman

Bishop, M. C., Roman Military Equipment

Embelton, Robert, The Armour Of The Roman Legions

Embelton, Robert, What Soldiers Wore On Hadrian's Wall

Robinson, H. Russell, The Armour Of Imperial Rome

Mail

Mary, Mary, The Art Of Mail Armor: How To Make Your Own

Major Arms Collections

Akehurst, Richard, Antique Weapons

Ashdown, Charles H., European Arms and Armour       (1909 Edition)

Balent, Mathew, Weapons & Armour       (1981 Edition)

Blair, Claude, European Armour c. 1066 to c. 1700       (1958 Edition)

Boutell, Charles, Arms And Armour ~

Bull, Stephen, An Historical Guide to Arms & Armour       (1991 Edition)

Cleavland Museum of Art,  , Arms And Armor

Cockerell, Sydney, Old Testament Miniatures (The Maciejowski Bible)       (2001 Edition)

Dixon, Philip, The Making of the Past: Barbarian Europe

Ffoulkes, Charles, Arms And Armament

Ffoulkes, Charles, The Armourer And His Craft  XI - XVI Century

Fleigel, Stephen N., Arms And Armor: The Cleveland Museum Of Art

Grancsay, Stephen V., Arms and Armor: The Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin 1920-1964

Held, Robert, Arms And Armour Manual

Karcheski, Walter J., Jr., Arms And Armour In The Art Institute Of Chicago Volume 01

Karcheski, Walter J., Jr., Arms And Armour In The Art Institute Of Chicago Volume 02

Klingen Museum,  , Blankwaffen

Laking, Guy F., Sir, A Record Of European Armor And Arms Through Seven Centuries - Volume 1

Laking, Guy F., Sir, A Record Of European Armor And Arms Through Seven Centuries - Volume 2

Laking, Guy F., Sir, A Record Of European Armor And Arms Through Seven Centuries - Volume 3

Laking, Guy F., Sir, A Record Of European Armor And Arms Through Seven Centuries - Volume 4

Laking, Guy F., Sir, A Record Of European Armor And Arms Through Seven Centuries - Volume 5

Landesmusem, Joanneum, Shiny Shapes: Arms and Armor from the Zeughaus of Graz

Norman, A. Vesey B., Arms and Armor ~       (1964 Edition)

Oakeshott, Ewart, European Weapons And Armour       (1980 Edition)

Oakeshott, Ewart, The Archæology Of Weapons: Arms & Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry       (1960 Edition)

Pfaffenbichler, Matthias, Armourers

Price, Brian R., Techniques Of Medieval Armour Reproduction: The 14th Century

Pyhrr, Stuart, Heroic Armor Of The Italian Renaissance

Schöbel, Johannes, Fine Arms And Armor: Treasures In The Dresden Collection

Trapp, Oswald Graf, The Armoury of the Castle Churburg       (1995 Edition)

Weland, Gerald, Swords, Daggers And Cutlasses

Stone, George Cameron, A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor in All Countries        (1934 Edition)

Collection - Medieval

Boutell, Charles, Arms And Armour In Antiquity And The Middle Ages       (1996 Edition)

Diehl, Daniel, Medieval Celebrations

Edge & Paddock, David & John Miles, Arms And Armour Of The Medieval Knight

Karcheski, Walter J., The Medieval Armour From Rhodes       (2000 Edition)

Nicolle, David C., Arms and Armour of the Crusading Era, 1050-1350: Islam, Eastern Europe and Asia       (1999 Edition)

Rapiers

Lovino, G. A., Traite d'Escrime

Norman, A. Vesey B., Small Swords And Military Blades

Valentine, Eric, Rapiers

Rapiers - Training

Clements, John, Renaissance Swordsmanship

La Rocca, Don, The Academy Of The Sword

Waller, John, The Academy Of Dramatic Combat: Sword Fighting

Wilson, William, The Art Of Defense: A Practical Guide To The Study Of The Rapier

Training - Modern

Deladrier, Clovis, Modern Fencing

Hobbs, William, Fight Direction For Stage And Screen

Hutchinson, Fred, The Modern Swordsman

L. de Beaumont, C., All About Fencing - Foil, Epee, Sabre

Lane, Richard J., Swashbuckling: A Step-By-Step Guide To The Art Of Stage Combat And Thea

Siege Crafts

Campbell, Duncan B., Osprey Elite 121: Ancient Siege Warfare 546 - 146 BC

Campbell, Duncan B., Osprey General History 004: Besieged Siege Warfare In The Ancient World

Payne - Gallway, Ralph, The Projectile Throwing Engines Of The Ancients

Nicolle, David, Osprey New Vanguard 058: Medieval Siege Weapons, Western Europe AD585 -1385

Nicolle, David, Osprey New Vanguard 069: Medieval Siege Weapons, Byzantium, The Islamic World And India  AD 476–1526

Turnbull, Stephen, Osprey New Vanguard 043: Siege Weapons Of The Far East  AD 612 - 1300

Turnbull, Stephen, Osprey New Vanguard 044: Siege Weapons Of The Far East  AD 960 - 1644

Campbell, Duncan B., Osprey Elite 126: Siege Warfare In The Roman World 146BC - AD 378

Campbell, Duncan B., Osprey New Vanguard 078: Greek And Roman Siege Machinery  399 BC - AD 363

Campbell, Duncan B., Osprey New Vanguard 089: Greek And Roman Artillery  399 BCE - AD 363

Comment by Trent Rock on March 3, 2010

I am reading Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides...In it they talk about how the Signal Corps Engineers used their bolo knives to chop notches in trees . The notches were used to run communication cables in the tree branches..So far I really like the book..I had never heard of the Cabanatuan prison camp rescue before...

Comment by Tuomas Kemppainen on April 29, 2010

Ok, I´m number 13 then... The Best book about Finnish Puukko knives in English is: Collectable Knives of Finland by Lester C. Ristinen ISBN 0-9626839-1-4. He had wroten also The Knives of Finland ISBN 0-9626839-0-6. There is many other great books about Puukko knives, but those are in Finnish.

Comment by Jean-François on June 3, 2012

From a funny old book...

“No hillman would think of giving a steel blade to a friend – such a gift is sure to severe their friendship. Whenever a knife changes hands, it must been paid for, even if the sum is merely nominal. I have seen a salesman, a graduate of the University of Missouri, present his son with a valuable hunting knife – but he never let it out of his hand till the boy had given him a penny."

"The accidental crossing of two case knives at the table must be avoided, as it is likely to cause a desperate fight between members of the family; if knives arecrossed inadvertently, they must be touched only by the same person who crossed them. If an Ozark woman finds a pair of scissors open, she closes them instantly – if she fails to do this she will quarrel with her dearest friend before the moon changes. If one finds an open clasp knife he snaps the blade shut immediately; if it is a sheath knife of the rigid kind, he thrusts the blade into the ground at once.”

Ozark Superstitions

By Vance Randolph

Columbia University Press 1947

Superstitions? Really? ;=)

Comment by Sue OldsWidow on September 9, 2012 

some free...stories i found surfing the net..

http://www.chucklarkin.com/stories/Hunting.pdf

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service