Welcome Home...THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

So you got the bug? Can't stop reading about knives? Can't stop buying those knives?

What in the world got you started?

Tags: addiction, collecting, hobby, knife, start

Views: 3495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It was an visceral need to be prepared with mankind's first and most basic tool. Then it was just coolness factor, then materials and finally form and function..

I think I started where you are now, especially function. A knife has to work or its a paperweight.

What got me started "collecting"?

Well, I always liked knives.....since I was a kid. I never realized how much though. I bought knives here and there. Kinda collecting.

Then, one evening in 1976 my wife and I were walking through K-Mart (the days before Walmart!), and on the book sale table I saw "Gun digest book of knives" by B. R. Hughes. I picked it up, flipped through it, and almost fell on the floor! I thought "Oh MY GOSH, there's a whole world of knives out there!". 

I then started to write to (the days before the internet!) all the knife manufactures and knife dealers that were listed in the back. The rest, as they say, is history. 

I accumulated knives for years...Found out about a "New" whittlin knife that I thought would be great (CASE Seahorse)...

Well, I figured I needed a spare...kinda went from there.

You mean there was a time with no internet? LOL Craig, you sound like a much determined knife collector!

Craig Henry said:

What got me started "collecting"?

Well, I always liked knives.....since I was a kid. I never realized how much though. I bought knives here and there. Kinda collecting.

Then, one evening in 1976 my wife and I were walking through K-Mart (the days before Walmart!), and on the book sale table I saw "Gun digest book of knives" by B. R. Hughes. I picked it up, flipped through it, and almost fell on the floor! I thought "Oh MY GOSH, there's a whole world of knives out there!". 

I then started to write to (the days before the internet!) all the knife manufactures and knife dealers that were listed in the back. The rest, as they say, is history. 

Well I know how that goes: need another spare... well I might be able to use that one there... oh look at that one!

J.J. Smith III said:

I accumulated knives for years...Found out about a "New" whittlin knife that I thought would be great (CASE Seahorse)...

Well, I figured I needed a spare...kinda went from there.

As a artist form was quiet important,during my run with the military, function became high priority, and later it was form and function. With high tech fighters and tacticals coming in fixed and folders in many flavors, I became a collector and a user. Love those smooth bone,recurve, san mias.

LOL! And believe it or not......no cell phones! 

Steve"Hog"Hanner said:

You mean there was a time with no internet? LOL Craig, you sound like a much determined knife collector!

That's interesting Guy you evolved to form and function as well but you still have an eye for those beautiful knives that catch your eye. Sounds like a great spot to be in!

Guy said:

As a artist form was quiet important,during my run with the military, function became high priority, and later it was form and function. With high tech fighters and tacticals coming in fixed and folders in many flavors, I became a collector and a user. Love those smooth bone,recurve, san mias.

For me it all goes back to when I was a kid. I can't remember a time that I WASN'T into knives. I think it all started when I was somewhere around 8 years old.

It was the day of my baptism and our neighbours (who weren't of the same denomination as we were) gave me an Opinel. Ever since then I've ALWAYS like knives. I didn't always do much about it though.

Then a couple of years back I was looking for cheaper razors blades....came out into Straight Razors and from there on ventured more into knives and eventually knifemaking.....and now it's costing me more money than ever.

8 years old, that is young but you got a good start with Opinel. Hobbies to tend to grow and of course the commitment to them grows as well meaning more $$$. Let's face it... its part of you now and likely isn't going away any time soon.

Alexander Noot said:

For me it all goes back to when I was a kid. I can't remember a time that I WASN'T into knives. I think it all started when I was somewhere around 8 years old.

It was the day of my baptism and our neighbours (who weren't of the same denomination as we were) gave me an Opinel. Ever since then I've ALWAYS like knives. I didn't always do much about it though.

Then a couple of years back I was looking for cheaper razors blades....came out into Straight Razors and from there on ventured more into knives and eventually knifemaking.....and now it's costing me more money than ever.

A was a late comer to the hobby.  Donnie had collected for a bout 20 years when I decided to buy him a knife for Christmas. First order of business was to find out what the name of that odd looking blade he liked was.  We had no idea how involved I would become from that one day of looking for a nice wharncliff blade to share with him LOL.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

White River Knives

Latest Activity

Visit Lee' s Cutlery

KNIFE AUCTIONS

KNIFE MAGAZINE!!!

tsaknives.com

JSR Sports!

Click to visit

© 2024   Created by Jan Carter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service